What's new

Cella. Yes or No?

:):):)
B&B is GREAT!:)

BTW, I have two Fatips (Piccolo and Grande) and a Schone.:) So Cella's first use is going to be with an Italian razor.:)

just saw your vid , excellent review. I really like the new Cella packaging with the Santa looking fella, I wonder if he's friends with arko man. The Fatip Grande is now my monday shaver, it chop's down 3 day weekend growth with ease , and I only need 2 passes with barely any touch up, great razor.

just saw your vid , excellent review. I really like the new Cella packaging with the Santa looking fella, I wonder if he's friends with arko man. The Fatip Grande is now my monday shaver, it chop's down 3 day weekend growth with ease , and I only need 2 passes with barely any touch up, great razor.

Thank you!:)

I used my Grande this morning with Cella and only needed two passes, as well:) A really nice combination.:)

I am glad you like it, Mark. Cella is something that everyone needs to experience first-hand.

I agree. I'm finding it hard to take it out of rotation at the moment.:) I'll probably do a head shave with it and then start using some of my favorite razors.:) It's right Up there with Tabac and MWF.:) I just may buy a block of it and form some into a shaving bowl.:) Seal up the rest and stash it away.:)

Seems to be a real draw to this stuff, I’m tempted to give this stuff a go. I noticed some containers have the guy on the cap while others don’t and they just have a fella logo, so what gives there?

This is old packaging. Don't buy it. It means it's old stock. And with Cella, you don't want to have old stock, because it has many free fats that go bad with time. This is why some folks keep it in the fridge. When you buy the tub, try to finish it within 1 year. If you live in particularly hot and humid climate, best if you keep it in fridge during the hot months. Sometimes it can start going bad before the 1 year. If someone sells you this, send it back to him.
2.png

This is the new packaging. This is the one you should buy:
1.png

In the back of Cella, there should be a 12M sign. This is european regulation, it means expires 12 months after opening. With most things, this doesn't mean much. With Cella, it is best if you take it more seriously.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Indeed, @shave/brush , however some also find little hard granules appear in their soap over time. I have had it happen once near the end of a container; it looked funny but didn't affect the usability of the soap at all.

i just would like to know what the actual specific product/food/ and/or place that the smell of cella reminds me of (not just the generic almond, marzipan, cherry description). i know it's a smell i've sniffed throughout my life but i can't figure out what the heck it is.

for anyone unsure of whether they should try it or not....maggards has cella samples for only 1.80...pretty hard to pass it up at that price.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
How do you think it compares with P160?
Which P.160, the original Tipo Morbido and Tipo Duro or the RR version?

I have not tried the RR one, but I am told that it is similar to the Figaro stuff that I have. In a nutshell, P.160 Tipo Morbido is the same croap texture as Cella, with the same scent but the P.160 is much more delicate and not as in-your-face as Cella. The P.160 Tipo Duro, being harder (duh! LOL) has less noticeable scent .... until you lather it up and then you get the same wonderful scent as the Tipo Morbido.

Both Cella and P.160 Tipo Morbido/Duro lather great and perform admirably. The basic choice comes down to preference on the scent strength.

Does that help any?

For sure! I’ve never used the original p160 (The RR version burned my face). I was just wondering if you preferred one over the other! I’m glad to hear that Cella stacks up well against it.

I've seen where guys here have said they had Cella for years and it was still good to use. It just loses the scent a bit.

It varies a lot, depending on enviromental conditions. I have read of wetshavers where their tub went yellow in 6 months, others that could even smell rancid fat before the 12 months, others claim they have storage methods for the bricks, to last 2 years. A rancid soap can still be lathered. It is just a matter of taste or disgust if you want. Someone who lives in Milan, will have an easier time conserving the soap compared to someone who lives in Palermo, that gets much hotter and humid in summer. Tallow soaps that have still a good amount of fat that hasn't turned to soap (they do this for safety, to make sure that all the caustic part of mix turns to soap), are better conserved like any fat food.

In the fridge and as tightly wrapped as possible to keep air out. It also depends on how much antioxidants the soap has. For better or worse, Cella takes pride in saying that they have a natural enough formula. This explains why it turns yellow relatively fast. If you keep it both as airtight as you can and in the fridge, it is the best possible thing. I had a friend once who was making tallow soaps at home (not for shaving) and he had explained me all about it. Tallow soaps with few antioxidants develop orange spots. This is the same principle, it's free fat that gets rancid.

Another factor, is that when you buy a tub or a brick, you don't know how much time the soap has already passed sitting in the store that you buy it from. The european regulation for marking products, says 12M for period after opening, but there is an important detail. This is valid for products that can remain unopened up to 30 months. So if you buy a Cella fresh out of factory, you will have better chances that it won't turn yellow or worse after 1 year or more. If you buy a Cella which has been sitting 2 years in a stockpile of a store, your Cella is more likely to break down quicker once opened. It should still resist for a year, but that's all the manufacturer guarantees. The 12M doesn't mean that it will burn you afterwards, but it will be altered, in a way that the manufactured hadn't intended. It is not the normal product anymore.

So... if you buy Cella in the 1Kg size, cut it into smaller parts, vacuum pack it, and freeze it? Would that work to keep it good almost indefinitely?

So... if you buy Cella in the 1Kg size, cut it into smaller parts, vacuum pack it, and freeze it? Would that work to keep it good almost indefinitely?

I don't know about freezing. Freezing might alter something in the composition. Fridge should be enough. If you can vacuum seal them, yes, that would be ideal. I have read of people swearing about 2 year conservation of the brick, if tightly wrapped with aluminum foil and saran wrap i think. So, if you vacuum seal it, this alone beats that, even without the fridge.

My Cella did change color and became very hard but it still works great.
I made it into a stick and it's the best performing stick I have.

Top Bottom