What's new

Best Mild but Effective Razor for Every Day Shaving?

Best Mild but Effective Razor for Every Day Shaving!

• Mühle R89

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Merkur 34C

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • Merkur 42C

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Fatip Testina Gentile

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Merkur 34C is a great choice but the Fatip Testina Gentile must be a very close second and the added advantage of all brass construction. The Fatip quality control is the only problem with the Fatip but they have been improving on that.
The red patches on the face is razor burn and more related to poor technique and blade choice, those are the main variables that contribute to smooth and efficient shaves. Good lather is also very important so don't discount that variable.

I have both the 42c and 34c and find the 42c is slightly milder than the 34c. I like a mild razor and the 42c was the best one for me.

I don't believe this crap about the Merkur 34 being too mild. You have a stainless steel blade and it will cut any hair. For someone to say their hair is like copper wire and that it won't cut it, is questionable at best.

Razor aggressiveness isn’t about avoiding a situation where you’re “not cutting” stubble. Any (non faulty) razor will give you a smooth shave with enough effort and good technique.

It’s just about minimising effort. With my Progress and a sharp blade, I do most of the first pass at a low setting (1.5 on mine), but then do the “trouble spots” on setting 2. This takes care of them.

I can get the same result by maintaining the same 1.5 setting, contorting my face, and stretching the skin on those trouble spots... but dialing up the aggressiveness gives me the same result with less fussing about, and in less time.

That said, I’m not a big fan of non-adjustable aggressive razors. Even with good technique, it’s all too easy to suffer from irritation when your attention wanders and you use slightly too much pressure or the wrong angle. But some people like that challenge and like to perfect their technique.

I’m a huge fan of adjustables, because you can use them on a mild setting, and then dial them up to attack the double spots and finish up. It leads to a quick, effortless shave with perfect results every time.

But that’s just me.

Top Bottom