What's new

best shaving soaps for sensitive skin

Hello everyone :)
which shaving soaps are best for sensitive skin ?
I have sensitive skin prone to razor bumps...

I've always enjoyed Proraso white soap and white preshave.

That is a good readily available and inexpensive option.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

I just had the best shave of my life and I have pretty sensitive skin.
Completely back to the basics after all that fancy stuff.
Washed my face gently with warm water and a little bar soap. Applied a small amount of Proraso white preshave. I left it on while I put a blue Astra (very very sharp, but extremely smooth for the first use) in my razor and whipped up the green Proraso cream in a bowl with my Omega 100066.
2 pass shave, WTG, XTG, again, nothing fancy, no overshaving, no touch ups. (I know my face and my 2 pass shave is pretty efficient now so I usually don't need to do touch ups for a while)
Finally a good splash with a high alcohol aftershave with witch hazel in it.

Just so unbelievably comfortable. No burn, no irritation at all,feeling refreshed.

I'm really surprised but now I have to get all Proraso creams with their matching preshaves for variety reasons :D

Basic items with solid technique should be fine.

Sent from my RNE-L01 using Tapatalk

I have found the following to be focused on CUSHION(comfort) which is most suitable for my sensitive skin:

- Eleven
- Declaration Grooming both formula
- Storybook Soapworks (likely the most comfortable imo)
- Southern Witchcrafts(new formula)(vegetarian if you care about that)
- Barrister and Mann Glissant formula

I have found the following to be focused on CUSHION(comfort) which is most suitable for my sensitive skin:

- Eleven
- Declaration Grooming both formula
- Storybook Soapworks (likely the most comfortable imo)
- Southern Witchcrafts(new formula)(vegetarian if you care about that)
- Barrister and Mann Glissant formula
I haven't heard of any of those, to my recollection. I'll be checking those out.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

You may want to try soaps with the least amount of ingredients in them to lessen the potential of a bad reaction. You may also want to avoid Lanolin as it can be an ingredient in many soaps but known to irritate some skin as well. As a last resort if you can't find any that work well for you, go unscented but that would literally take out the majority of fun for me.

There are two types of skin sensitivity. One is sensitivity to chemical in the soaps as mentioned by catchacoolbreeze.
I am not sensitive to lanolin, but have issues with lemon, lime, grapefruit, clove, cinnamon and rose if the concentration is too high.

Some people have a chemical sensitivity to some of the metals used in razor blades, I do not think that is very common, but it does happen.

The other type of sensitivity is due to the friction between the blade and the skin, often called razor burn. To minimize that, you need to look for a shaving soap that provides excellent slickness and residual slickness, excellent cushion, and excellent post shave moisturizing and conditioning There are a number of soaps that provide those qualities.

If you have an issue with razor bumps, you might try limiting your shave to two passes. Skip the ATG pass that may be required to achieve a BBS shave. Be content with a a close, comfortable shave. One common cause of razor bumps is beard hair being cut off beneath the skin level such that the skin may close over top of the hair forming a bump. If you issue with razor bumps is bad, you might need to shave WTG only, even if more than one pass is used. A WTG pass shouldn't cut the hair off below skin level.

Also, try to determine the proper shave angle for your razor and keep it as consistent as possible. Also shave with minimal pressure. The goal of shaving is to remove the beard while removing the least number of skin cells. That can only be achieved if the razor is held at the proper angle that slices through your beard with minimal pressure.

Mystic Water Sensitive Skin(Unscented) shaving soap. Lots of skin loving goodies in there. No lanolin, for those who are lanolin sensitive. No added fragrance. It is a tallow soap if that is important to you.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I find Proraso White soap works well for my skin. I use it every Monday when I start the week with a different razor and a new blade.

I used to get irritation from some scented soaps, but then tried Saponificio varesino Dolomiti . It has no effect on my skin. Any variety is great . Dolomiti and Cosmo leave my skin unblemished.

I have mild rosacea and generally find shaving creams better since they dry my skin less. I particularly like the Taylor of Old Bond Streets range and Hawkins and Brimble

What razor and blades do use at present as feather blades irritate my skin when I yavevtriedvtgrm in the past. So many factors other than soap or cream. Also the old thing of no pressure.

Everyone is different, but for me the soaps that irritate my skin are scented. I have not encountered any unscented soap that caused irritation. Lots of good unscented soaps to choose from on the market.

And while a good soap is always important, the most beneficial thing for my skin was switching to a single edge razor from a double edge. I am not quite sure why - I have always assumed that the more rigid single edge blades are simply less traumatic to the skin - but all of my irritation problems went away when I switched. And that applies to both the GEM blade and the Artist Club blades.

Worth a Try.

The other type of sensitivity is due to the friction between the blade and the skin, often called razor burn. To minimize that, you need to look for a shaving soap that provides excellent slickness and residual slickness, excellent cushion, and excellent post shave moisturizing and conditioning There are a number of soaps that provide those qualities.

If you have an issue with razor bumps, you might try limiting your shave to two passes. Skip the ATG pass that may be required to achieve a BBS shave. Be content with a a close, comfortable shave. One common cause of razor bumps is beard hair being cut off beneath the skin level such that the skin may close over top of the hair forming a bump. If you issue with razor bumps is bad, you might need to shave WTG only, even if more than one pass is used. A WTG pass shouldn't cut the hair off below skin level.

Also, try to determine the proper shave angle for your razor and keep it as consistent as possible. Also shave with minimal pressure. The goal of shaving is to remove the beard while removing the least number of skin cells. That can only be achieved if the razor is held at the proper angle that slices through your beard with minimal pressure.

This...and Haslinger soaps. I tried the Proraso White and it pretty much immediately hit the garbage (likely a good amount of user error as I tried Red later and it was fine). But, I found Haslinger to be easy to lather, really slick, and gave a close shave with 1-2 passes only. Lightly scented too.

For sensitive skin, keep a few things in mind.

1. Essential oils and fragrance oils can cause reactions. Avoid heavily scented soaps, and if necessary, avoid scented soap altogether.

2. Soaps can be drying, so it's good to have formulations that include moisturizers.

3. Slickness is good! You want the razor to glide over the skin without causing irritation.

I have sensitive skin, and I've had the best luck with vegan soaps (usually unscented)

Currently my favorites are:

1. Xpec unscented (expensive)
2. Soap Commander Integrity (best value imo)
3. Wickham 1912 unscented (but actually has a scent)
4. Proraso White (cheap and works)

I don’t have a lot of experience with some of the artisan soaps but I do have issues with heavily scented soaps/creams. The 3 I have that don’t cause me issues are

Mitchell’s Wool Fat
DR Harris Lavender
Tabac (heavily scented so no clue why this works so well for me)

Top Bottom