What's new

The Holy Black Jeckyll and Hyde Review

This is a review of the overall impressions of the set, with a highlight on the soap performance and a touch on the aftershaves.

The set arrives in a charred wooden crate with The Holy Black Trading Co. and DANGEROUS CONTENTS printed on the lid. Each crate is numbered, and includes a warning that it only be opened upon the death or disappearance of Dr. Henry Jeckyll. Opening the crate is an experience in and of itself. The included pry bar is definitely necessary for loosening the lid, and once removed you are greeted with an impressive little sound and light show. The two aftershave bottles glow ominously, and the digital tune is suitably creepy (it is apparently taken from the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde NES game). The aftershave bottles are HUGE, and they are FULL! 8 ounces in each on, with the caps dipped in wax. A sharp knife was needed to score the edge of the top, and then the corks could be released. The liquid inside fizzes when you first open it, which is an amazing touch.

The two EdTs come in smaller poison bottles, which are corked and sealed with the same wax. The box also includes a letter excerpt from the book, sealed with black wax, and a plastic pipette for mixing the two formulas as you choose.

The soap comes in The Holy Black’s traditional ceramic jar, with beautifully detailed graphics. The soap is filled to the brim, with each soap scent taking up half of the jar, split down the middle. The soap itself is much firmer than any other Holy Black limited tallow release. A little additional effort was needed to scoop the perfect snurdle for my lather bowl. The plus side to this fact is that there is no way to smear the soaps into each other accidentally, and this stuff should last a LONG time!

As I set about building my lather, the scent strength is impressive. With just a little water, I transform the soap into some luxurious lather that is the perfect consistency for my shave preference: it has some firm body with a nice, glistening sheen, and it goes on super smoothly with no dripping. I do a hot towel soak after my first lather, and inhale the intense aromas.

During the shave itself, the scent intensifies. The soap performs at the level I would expect from a top tier artisan. Slickness and protection are on point. Using my Asylum RX Se with a Feather Pro Guard I do gather some weepers low on my neck, but that is likely due to the blade already having 20 shaves on it. 2 passes with cleanup leave me with a delightful BBS.

I use the included pipette to draw out some aftershave, a small splash since SMWBO doesn’t want me smothered in scent right before bed. The tonic does a wonderfully efficient job of cooling and toning without any burn or tightness. Now let me tell you about the scent. The notes are unrefinded vetiver, patchouli, sandalwood, and a hint of amber. When The Holy Black describes it as raw and animalistic, they are not kidding. On its own, it is a powerful scent for only the bold. I would describe it as a scent that evokes the kind of places where a Victorian gentleman can indulge his basest desires: an opium den in a dark London alley, lit only by the red light of a coal brazier. Or a garishly decorated house of “negotiable affection”. The man who would wear Mr. Hyde would not tread these paths in secret, but rather would stroll boldly through, without shame. It truly is a sinister scent with some pleasantly unsettling undertones.

I shaved at around 7:30pm, and when I woke at 5am I could still smell the notes surrounding me. I don’t remember any of the dreams I had, but I felt empowered.

After my shower I decided that I needed to try an experiment, and so I opened the other aftershave and applied a slightly more generous amount of Dr. Jeckyll. That scent is comprised of refined vetiver, sandalwood, and some fresh citrus. It is definitely in the same family, but much more of a “proper” gentleman. It smells like a well-kept study, or the common room of a fine Victorian gentlemen’s club (not THAT kind of gentelmen’s club!). After first applying it I could tell this was definitely the tamer scent, but it has a power all its own: a confident and classy scent which can command respect. As the morning goes on, the hidden notes of Mr. Hyde are starting to creep in, making it a new experience altogether.

These two scents are definitely two sides of the same coin. I cannot wait to mix both scents in different ratios and see what it creates!

The Holy Black really outdid themselves with this release. It is a set I am proud to own, and which will last me a ridiculously long time.

Excellent write up! Their style and presentation on Halloween releases is very cool, and this one looks to be the best so far. The idea of the two scents that can be mixed and used in a variety of ways is fun and unique, and hopefully they will try more of this type of thing in the future.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ok, that sounds like a lot of Halloween fun! :devil2:

Very cool! :a51:Thanks for the words ... though some cell phone pix would add some diabolical flavor ....

AA

It really does sound spectacular. Theatrical, certainly.

AA

The attention to detail is unbelievable. I re-read the original story yesterday, and they hit so many things, like the colors of the potions, and the letter that was included. It is a full experience, not just a shaving set.

And as a shaving set, I could use this thing daily and it would last me at least a year with plenty left over.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The attention to detail is unbelievable. I re-read the original story yesterday, and they hit so many things, like the colors of the potions, and the letter that was included. It is a full experience, not just a shaving set.

And as a shaving set, I could use this thing daily and it would last me at least a year with plenty left over.

Makes for memorable Halloween shaving, for sure! :a51:

If I wasn't saving for a new 10mm ...

AA

I picked up a set as well. The soap performance is ok but it's no MdC. Now for the aftershaves and colognes, those are truly awesome. As a matter of fact I might just sell the soap and keep the rest of the kit.

Top Bottom