What's new

Gillette Old type

I have a Canadian made Old Type OC and a blue tip from the 50s. I cut my teeth and my face on the blue tip before I knew what I was doing and well before I got on B&B. I get good shaves out of it now but like others have said I'm more keen on efficiency now that I generally have better technique. I'm a big OC fan now because of that, and between the Old and the Yaqi DOC head I have, the Old Gillette is the 100% favourite. I haven't tried Fatip or any other OC razors so my experience is pretty narrow, but between the two, it's OC all the way.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Looks like I need to give the FaTip Special Edition a try. My Schöne and I don't get along so well...

But while we're on the subject of Old Type Gillettes, AND it being OCtober, I'd like some advice as to which brand/model of DE blade works best in razors from the "Three Hole" era.

Is it as simple as shimming a modern blade (above, below, or both?), using a non-stainless steel blade, or are there modern blades that, while thin, have pronounced rigidity? I have a 1917 Single Ring and 1924 New Improved Big Fellow that thank you in advance.

My nephews Piccolo Sp Ed. cap is 19.6mm wide. No matter where its measured its 19.60 - 19.64mm.

5f834b51d9f6a7e01b417309829b4747a2c47095.jpg

I believe @Cal's is the same. Those are the only two I speak of. I believe @Raven Koenes is 19mm wide.

Its possible Fatip has increased the width of the cap and some have newer caps than others, but thats anyones guess.

When it comes to blades, only your skin can decide which will work the best for you. Try as many different blades as you can. The one thing I have found with more rigid designs is, as blade flex is removed, sharpness or ease of cut needed to be increased to avoid tugging. When you remove the stored spring energy in a curved blade you increase the difficulty of cuttings the hairs. With rigid designs there is no give in the razor and blade, only in your skin and hair type and you'll find out exactly how tough your hair composition is.

I needed to step up my blade choices to avoid any tugging. This is why of the ~30 blades types I've tried, only 5 are my top blades, and of those 5 only 2 let me shave directly ATG first pass at 48 hours growth or more.

Gillette Old Types are among the most rigid designs of all and shimming one would only increase its gap. Of the Gillette NEW series of razors, only the Short Comb (SC) has full baseplate support. The others may need shimming or they may not, it depends on your whiskers.

I found a single shim helped my NEW LC about 50%.

NEW SC and NEW LC bases below. SC on the left in every picture.

IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1459.jpg IMG_1458.jpg

As I said, only the SC base fully supports the blade, very nearly to its edge.

IMG_2114.jpg

I think the casual observer gets fooled from the profile which disguises the real difference in the baseplate.

My nephews Piccolo Sp Ed. cap is 19.6mm wide. No matter where its measured its 19.60 - 19.64mm.

View attachment 920447

I believe @Cal's is the same. Those are the only two I speak of. I believe @Raven Koenes is 19mm wide.

Its possible Fatip has increased the width of the cap and some have newer caps than others, but thats anyones guess.

When it comes to blades, only your skin can decide which will work the best for you. Try as many different blades as you can. The one thing I have found with more rigid designs is, as blade flex is removed, sharpness or ease of cut needed to be increased to avoid tugging. When you remove the stored spring energy in a curved blade you increase the difficulty of cuttings the hairs. With rigid designs there is no give in the razor and blade, only in your skin and hair type and you'll find out exactly how tough your hair composition is.

I needed to step up my blade choices to avoid any tugging. This is why of the ~30 blades types I've tried, only 5 are my top blades, and of those 5 only 2 let me shave directly ATG first pass at 48 hours growth or more.

Gillette Old Types are among the most rigid designs of all and shimming one would only increase its gap. Of the Gillette NEW series of razors, only the Short Comb (SC) has full baseplate support. The others may need shimming or they may not, it depends on your whiskers.

I found a single shim helped my NEW LC about 50%.

NEW SC and NEW LC bases below. SC on the left in every picture.

View attachment 920450 View attachment 920451 View attachment 920452

As I said, only the SC base fully supports the blade, very nearly to its edge.

View attachment 920453

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think the casual observer gets fooled from the profile which disguises the real difference in the baseplate.

It was an epiphany for me when I got my head around it and understood the concept of rigidity.

When I was a lurker on this forum I found some of your posts and read them, read more, went back and read some again. I joined this forum so that I could use the Search function, and see the pics :001_tongu and I searched for "rigid" in any way I could think of, usually finding your posts and I read everything I could until I understood, including reading through your "Postings" listed in your profile. Like I said to you, when I finally got my head around it, it was an epiphany for me, and my shaves have changed drastically because of it.

They still are improving too, and even more rigidity is the reason why.

Last edited:
My overall experience is limited -- I have just shy of 50 shaves under my belt -- and I am currently an every-other-day to every-2-days shaver but here is my 2-cents:
  • A feather tends to be my go to blade for my Single Rings and Old Types; I've also had good shaves using Gillette Silver Blues and Voskhod blades as well.
  • I have not tried shimming any of my razors -- any issues I've had I figure it's probably due to my still-developing technique.
  • I have 3 Single Rings (SRs), 2 ball-end Old Types (OTs) and 2 New & Improveds (NIs). I've found the older the razor, the more efficient the shave. My SRs and OTs give me a BBS, with minimal alum feedback; but my NIs have (to date) only provided DFS results with A LOT of alum feedback and at least a day of post-shave irritation.
I am not sure I could do a daily shave with an SR/OT; but if I did, I would probably try to cut down the number of passes and shoot for a SAS/CCS. I do know that the older the razor, the more respect I give it -- that is, I go slowly, almost negative pressure, focus on my technique more. If I'm using an SS or a tech, I find myself treating it almost like a cart razor, which I often pay for with less than great results.

That's interesting. for me and my face, I find that the smoothness of the SR and NI are equal, but I get a much more efficient shave from the NI, which is opposite for you. The NI is the smoothest most efficient shave I get from any razor. I'ts also the sharpest looking. :)

I think there are big differences in performance depending on the type of stubble being attacked. I find the NI more efficient on my beard, but the Single Ring much more capable ATG on the coarse stubble on the crown of my head. The same was true of the Blackbird which was fantastic until it got to my head shave where it simply failed for me.
That's interesting. for me and my face, I find that the smoothness of the SR and NI are equal, but I get a much more efficient shave from the NI, which is opposite for you. The NI is the smoothest most efficient shave I get from any razor. I'ts also the sharpest looking. :)

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
@Flintstone65 Have you not tried them yet???
I have, but my shaves have been less than stellar. I figure it's a technique/adjustment thing. I've been experiencing a heavy case of RAD and I've been bouncing around from Techs, Adjustables, Super Speeds, New, New Improved, Old Types, Slants, etc., etc. I know the smart thing to do would be to settle down and give each razor a fair hearing with some dedicated use -- and that is my plan, but right now I'm in "gotta-try-it" overload.

I have, but my shaves have been less than stellar. I figure it's a technique/adjustment thing. I've been experiencing a heavy case of RAD and I've been bouncing around from Techs, Adjustables, Super Speeds, New, New Improved, Old Types, Slants, etc., etc. I know the smart thing to do would be to settle down and give each razor a fair hearing with some dedicated use -- and that is my plan, but right now I'm in "gotta-try-it" overload.

I resemble your experience.Stay with what you enjoy, then bounce to a new one for a while until you want to go back to your current favorite. But, if you see something cool, buy it. You can always try it later.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I resemble your experience.Stay with what you enjoy, then bounce to a new one for a while until you want to go back to your current favorite. But, if you see something cool, buy it. You can always try it later.
Great approach....thanks!!!!

Stay with what you enjoy, then bounce to a new one for a while until you want to go back to your current favorite. But, if you see something cool, buy it. You can always try it later.
Just what I needed to hear.
Sounds like the perfect approach to me.
Thanks.

Top Bottom