What's new

What Is This Called? What Does It Mean?

Firstly, please do not tell me to chill out.
This is not personal. You asked for an opinion, I gave it.
A typo is a sign that this was not proofread. If you actually read the part about the hair being hydrated you will see it is as I stated. It does NOT say it is harder to cut. It says it stiffens it so it is easier to cut. Please re read it.
The hot towel was explained above - it is NOT because it feels good - please re read that too.
Dragging an edge along the nail is used to check for smoothness - not remove a wire edge.
I'm not sure what you're looking for specifically so maybe just ask. You seem to be focused on the "folical" (its actually the cuticle or outside layer of the hair)
I have answered your question about the hair twice now, once giving the real answer quoted from the Barbering Textbook above (it softens it) and secondly that what you are gleaning from the other book does not say what you think it does.

That's it for me here it drifts the thread away from its intent. If you wish to discuss this further you can PM me.

You started the drift.

Jim - to get back to your central line of question -

The slotted paddle strop should be sufficient. A hanging strop is optimal, because even when you pull it pretty tight, it has a smidge more 'give' than the paddle strop would. However, if you are careful and have a light touch, the paddle strop should do a fine job.

As far as the blade catching when you try to shave, a properly shaving sharp blade will still catch with technique that is lacking. Only experience will really help you get past that.

Two things that helped me make my breakthrough (aside from the 30 preceding shaves) were watching @GearNoir's shaving videos - he makes a real light touch with the razor more visible than most other videos I've seen, and concentrating on keeping the touch as smooth and light as when I shave with a DE razor - almost trying to re-create the face feel of a super light, smooth pass with a super sharp DE blade.

Jim - to get back to your central line of question -

The slotted paddle strop should be sufficient. A hanging strop is optimal, because even when you pull it pretty tight, it has a smidge more 'give' than the paddle strop would. However, if you are careful and have a light touch, the paddle strop should do a fine job.

As far as the blade catching when you try to shave, a properly shaving sharp blade will still catch with technique that is lacking. Only experience will really help you get past that.

Two things that helped me make my breakthrough (aside from the 30 preceding shaves) were watching @GearNoir's shaving videos - he makes a real light touch with the razor more visible than most other videos I've seen, and concentrating on keeping the touch as smooth and light as when I shave with a DE razor - almost trying to re-create the face feel of a super light, smooth pass with a super sharp DE blade.

EED27504-54A4-4CD4-B35D-1C1261F6D0D3.gif

Just an amalgamation of the techniques of those who came before, to find out what seems to work for me!

Hey Chris

It's funny you mention that - after watching a few of yours, I can go back and watch other shaving videos and see that I had been misinterpreting the pressure / angle they all shave at. Something about your approach or videography made the same motion clearer - at least to the way I was watching, and at just the right time.

Hey Chris

It's funny you mention that - after watching a few of yours, I can go back and watch other shaving videos and see that I had been misinterpreting the pressure / angle they all shave at. Something about your approach or videography made the same motion clearer - at least to the way I was watching, and at just the right time.
Well then thank goodness for happy coincidences! I think my angle sucks lol! I just haven’t coughed up for a mirror suction cup yet!

A typo is a sign that this was not proofread.
Let me educate you on Project Gutenberg since you keep focusing on the typos.

Project Gutenberg is a volunteer organization that takes out of copyright books, scans them, then runs the scans through Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software to turn the images into text, thus preserving history.

The copies are sometimes a century old and often damaged, so there are always errors in the OCR process. If a book is popular, it's proof read by many volunteers, and the OCR errors are caught and fixed in subsequent versions. A niche book like the shaving book in question does not garner much volunteer interest, so the typos won't get thoroughly fleshed out.

The typos are most likely not in the original text and thus not the fault of the author.

Let me educate you on Project Gutenberg since you keep focusing on the typos.

Project Gutenberg is a volunteer organization that takes out of copyright books, scans them, then runs the scans through Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software to turn the images into text, thus preserving history.

The copies are sometimes a century old and often damaged, so there are always errors in the OCR process. If a book is popular, it's proof read by many volunteers, and the OCR errors are caught and fixed in subsequent versions. A niche book like the shaving book in question does not garner much volunteer interest, so the typos won't get thoroughly fleshed out.

The typos are most likely not in the original text and thus not the fault of the author.
I doubt that an "e" was mistook and translated to an "i" by OCR, an "o", "u", or other rounded character perhaps, but I don't buy a circle was mistaken to be a straight line.

I think that his main point was that being an anonymous author, it is hard to validate the accuracy of the content, especially in that fact that it is contra to barber manuals in many areas.

Hmmm. People here disagree. If we wrote books, our books would disagree. Some might have typos. Whether we signed our work or not, the books would need to be judged by their content . . . all seems very normal. Like . . . YMMV and chill, people.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hmmm. People here disagree. If we wrote books, our books would disagree. Some might have typos. Whether we signed our work or not, the books would need to be judged by their content . . . all seems very normal. Like . . . YMMV and chill, people.
+1

Top Bottom