What's new

Gillette Sheraton find

Hello, today I went through some local antique shops and to my surprise I found a Gillette Sheraton for $35, so I grabbed it, as I have been wanting one for a while.

All of the plating is gone, but thats ok. I was thinking of just polishing up the brass and leaving it that way.

The teeth are straight, but on one side the ends are bent downward a bit. This is causing a noticeable gap on each end as well as one of the doors to open super uneven. Does anybody know of a good way to fix this?

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
This is quite common in my experience. The end teeth are often lower, but as long as the blade is even, you’ll be fine. As for the doors ... examine the space between the baseplate and the riveted end joints (where endcaps usually are). Very carefully wedge a very small flat-head screwdriver between the baseplate and the riveted joints — to open the space slightly. Do this on all 4 riveted joints, and you should fix the uneven door issue. I have used this approach on about 6 TTO razors to success. Just be careful not to scratch the plating ... use a thin towel or something on the screwdriver.

Thanks for the pictures and link to that thread. I don't think I have the same issue however. I should have explained my second picture better. When the razor is completely closed the doors are even.

The second picture in my original post is when I first twist to open the doors. I think it's happening because the of the ben teeth on the ends of the one side (first picture).

I could be wrong though. Feel free to correct me. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy. These are one of my favorite vintage Gillette razors and I love the holiday history.

My Sheraton had some opening and closing problems until I did several Dawn and hot water soaks. I never forced or shorthanded the TTO.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I got a sheriton/senator on the cheap a few years back and the doors were jacked up. sent it to Capt and he fixed it for a couple bucks, tuned it, and lubed it up for me. Works like brand new now. Shaves great. Nice razor.

The teeth are straight, but on one side the ends are bent downward a bit. This is causing a noticeable gap on each end as well as one of the doors to open super uneven
The doors look straight when shut so the blade should sit okay and it should shave just fine. The dropped teeth look like a few floor impacts too many; not worth tweaking as the teeth may break. Looks a good working razor.

I was able to fix the door open/close alignment by following the suggestion in the thread Nemo linked. I did some initial polishing and it's starting to look real nice. I have it in a hot/soap bath now, then I'll do a little more polishing and post some pics.

Thanks everybody for the help and replies.

I was able to fix the door open/close alignment by following the suggestion in the thread Nemo linked. I did some initial polishing and it's starting to look real nice. I have it in a hot/soap bath now, then I'll do a little more polishing and post some pics.

Thanks everybody for the help and replies.
:a14:

It doesn't need a replate imo. First polish pass and it's already looking pretty good. I have a cloth dremel tool coming today to do some touch up buffing and it should look really nice. I'll post some pictures tonight if I get a chance.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
It doesn't need a replate imo. First polish pass and it's already looking pretty good. I have a cloth dremel tool coming today to do some touch up buffing and it should look really nice. I'll post some pictures tonight if I get a chance.
Does a dremel take the surface scratches off of the razor doors?

Top Bottom