What's new

Shaving with Music ;-)

Music - Southwest Folk, New Age instrumental, Classical
Talk - Alexa flash briefings - Wx, CNN, NPR, FOX, BBC - laughing at the different spins on the same news item

Ad Astra

The Instigator
No, no! Must have "mindfulness." It's a Zen thing.

In the quiet, in the concentration, there is a return to nothing - a place very hard to reach these days.

AA

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I am a retired band director, so it will probably not surprise you to read that I have a fairly large music collection (or that I am pleased to read so many people enjoying music).

My stereo is downstairs and my shaving bathroom is up. I do enjoy some loud Mahler, but not that loud.

if you have a smart phone, you have music with you all the time then, if you then pair that with a blue tooth speaker, it will really change your world.

I'm a huge fan of classical in the morning, it just makes everything peaceful for me.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I am a retired band director, so it will probably not surprise you to read that I have a fairly large music collection (or that I am pleased to read so many people enjoying music).

My stereo is downstairs and my shaving bathroom is up. I do enjoy some loud Mahler, but not that loud.
Wow ... if I had Gustav on while shaving, I’d have no lips. Wolfgang is less risky for me in the morning!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
No, no! Must have "mindfulness." It's a Zen thing.

In the quiet, in the concentration, there is a return to nothing - a place very hard to reach these days.

AA
Good point. And hearing the ‘toast being buttered’ makes for a more efficient shave.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m in the silence of the moment crowd. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Hearing the blade on the strop is as important as feeling it. The brush on the puck, the blade on the face, the dying screams of the whiskers...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There is Zen archery. There is Zen calligraphy.

The archery and calligraphy disappears. It is actually meaningless in itself. Form is all that matters.

When you no longer appear in the mirror, you are shaving correctly.

Finally you drain the sink. Where have you been? :chinese:

If music is on ... or someone is talking ... you won't make the trip.

AA

Mostly, the only real music I listen to in the morning is the sounds of my wife banging on the door and shouting "For crying out loud! Aren't you done shaving yet?!?!" :a53:

I listen to Glycerine by Bush while shaving. Can't say for certain, but I feel like it increases the slickness of my lather when put this song on... Just a few stanzas though. If you play it on repeat too much, it will kill your lather.

I agree with @Ad Astra . I even turn off the exhaust fan. I like the audio feedback when i can hear how the blade is cutting.
The only satellite radio channel I don't listen to in my car is rap. However, when I listen to bluegrass, I drive too fast.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I agree with @Ad Astra . I even turn off the exhaust fan. I like the audio feedback when i can hear how the blade is cutting.
The only satellite radio channel I don't listen to in my car is rap. However, when I listen to bluegrass, I drive too fast.
Then whatever you do, don't put on zydeco! That speedy, toe-tapping Cajun music is made for espresso drinkers and Red Bull addicts ...

And yes; silence is how the shave-meditation works its magic.

AA

Top Bottom