What's new

Internet-stupid cake: worked

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Reading the Daily Mail (DM) is a good idea. U.S. news sources have unfortunately become pretty suspect / propagandized. Anyways.

Saw a purely stupid "recipe" on DM. Box of cake mix and a can of Diet Coke. No egg, oil or water.

Out of boredom, I tried it.

Would you believe ... the cake is pretty good?

AA

Every day, I turn on the Weather Channel to hear about the Freak Once-In-A-Century Daily Deathstorm from Hell. The news is the same way. Luckily, the Radford University radio station carries the BBC.
I'll have to try the recipe

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Every day, I turn on the Weather Channel to hear about the Freak Once-In-A-Century Daily Deathstorm from Hell. The news is the same way. Luckily, the Radford University radio station carries the BBC.

I'll have to try the recipe

Quoted for truth! Thanks for the laugh.

Cake mix is $1.24, so. Little to risk.

But it really did work!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Without a photo is hard to believe ;)

I can post an equally stupid photo of a cake, but it's pretty ordinary. :001_tt2: Not like some of the stellar chilies, stews, and masterpieces usually found in this forum.

It's moist. Perhaps a little crumbly. It DID rise. Don't know what else to say.:a21:

Seriously, I am interested in no-egg, minimal ingredient recipes for camping/preparedness ... Very easy bread mixes, etc.

AA

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I can see that working. You only add water and eggs to those mixes. Leaving out the eggs isn't all that big of a deal when you don't expect much in the first place. :001_cool: Shoot, the CO2 in the Coke gives it even a bit more rise. What surprises me is that it was good enough to write about. I might have to give that a try, just on a whim as you did. What box mix did you use, just out of curiosity?

I am interested in no-egg, minimal ingredient recipes for camping/preparedness

Our house chocolate cake recipe has no dairy or eggs in it. We had to go look for something like that when we discovered that our older son had dairy and egg allergies (that he's now grown out of). However, it's so good that we still make it and have had a good number of recipe requests. I'll go dig it up and post it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I can see that working. You only add water and eggs to those mixes. Leaving out the eggs isn't all that big of a deal when you don't expect much in the first place. :001_cool: Shoot, the CO2 in the Coke gives it even a bit more rise. What surprises me is that it was good enough to write about. I might have to give that a try, just on a whim as you did. What box mix did you use, just out of curiosity?

Our house chocolate cake recipe has no dairy or eggs in it. We had to go look for something like that when we discovered that our older son had dairy and egg allergies (that he's now grown out of). However, it's so good that we still make it and have had a good number of recipe requests. I'll go dig it up and post it.

OK. Turns out this is a thing.

here's a photo of the page:

full

I used the "Sinless" chocolate, 2nd row, 2nd down.

But if you google "can of diet soda cake mix" turns out it is believed the maker has you put in egg and oil, so you can feel like you deserve credit for "making" a cake. It does little/nothing. At least, that's one school of thought.

AA

Who would have thought? But for a lazy baker like me it sounds perfect!
The carbonation would provide some rise, and most soda's contain some kind of vegetable oil for "body" - so there's a bit of oil.

I have a no egg cake recipe my mom gave me years ago to help cut down on cholesterol. It's a bit dense as I recall but has very strong chocolate flavor (due to dried coffee in it).

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
DM has "light" trash, as opposed to our "enrage the viewer" trash.

Anywho, the cake thing is an old internet trick, apparently.

AA

I emailed my SIL about this. If I have any questions about baking or cooking, I ask her.
She said she had heard of this cake mix and soda cake, and did try it once, but none of the family really thought it was that good. But she encouraged me to try it.
The wife is going on a business trip soon, and while she's gone I'll try it. No sense inflicting it on her if it doesn't turn out. For me: if it's chocolate, it's edible!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I'm not much of a baker so this is right up my alley. Thanks for posting, it's on my short list to try

I gotta try this combo:
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sussex is a kick-*** ginger ale that makes Canada Dry (or Schweppes) seem like mere soda water.
It was designed to be a standalone beverage, whereas the bland flavour of Canada Dry Ginger Ale was popularized as a mix to mask the taste of moonshine.
Sadly for most of you, you can only get it in Eastern Canada.

Something like Jamaica Ginger Beer should be good though. That has a bit of a kick.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Halloween cake: What soda do you think would go well with a pumpkin cake mix?

I want to say Sprite, but I don't know ...

can confirm wife tried and liked it. Baked the thing when she was out of town and extreme boredom set in ...

@John Rose , that *has* to be good!

AA

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I gotta try this combo:
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sussex is a kick-*** ginger ale that makes Canada Dry (or Schweppes) seem like mere soda water.
It was designed to be a standalone beverage, whereas the bland flavour of Canada Dry Ginger Ale was popularized as a mix to mask the taste of moonshine.
Sadly for most of you, you can only get it in Eastern Canada.

Something like Jamaica Ginger Beer should be good though. That has a bit of a kick.

^^^ that sounds fantastic. Perhaps Reed's would make a good substitute? Pretty easy to find in the states. My choice for Dark & Stormys

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 2.41.45 PM.png

Top Bottom