What's new

Van Der Hagen Shave Butter?

One of my buddies recently got into wet shaving and he says he likes the VDH shave butter quite a bit. I haven't tried it myself, and don't think I ever will.

I use it but it is a bit better than the others I heard on here. It don't larger and you have to use more but it is good for a quick shave. I'd say it works better than say a barbasol or similar foam.

I am new to wet shaving and new to this forum. I have been experimenting with different blades and soaps, which lead me to try the VDH shave butter. Like mentioned already it doesn't lather. When I tried face lathering with it, my brush just absorbed it all and became greasy. But when reading the back I saw that you are supposed to rub in the extra as an aftershave. So now I'm using it purely as an aftershave balm and it works pretty good too.

I've tried a couple of shave butters. Some glide, decent on the skin, but pretty much zero cushion. I think that they are more for the cartridge crowd, personally.

Sounds a bit like Nivea's shave cream. That stuff is SUPER slick. Dunno about this one though.

I like it. It works well for me: slick, quick, and allows me to see my beard line.

My only complaint is the scent.

I'd like to find something similar with a more masculine scent.

Pick some up last visit to US, and really like it. But then I bought a gallon of shave jelly so what do I know :). It gave me a great 2 pass shave WTG,XTG and no nicks or redness at all. If you don't like Cremo, I wouldn't bother...if you do, you will likely enjoy this as well. Wish I could find it somewhere up here.

Not very slick at all. Not very cushioning. Without either of those properties, any shave cream is useless. This product works, but it's mediocre at best. With so many choices today, there is no reason to bother with this product. It's not that it is so cheap that you need to suffer through it. At a similar price point, you can do much, much better. It is so mediocre that after using it just a few times, I won't finish the tube. Likely to hit the waste basket.

Sometimes I work far from home leaving me a very long commute in Atlanta traffic which is unpredictable to say the least. On mornings when I have to be across town and the clock is ticking VDH Shave Butter is my go to product. Doesn't lather up, but the lubrication is positively Lubricious and shaves my face quite well.

I use VDH Shea Butter as an undercoat for my lather. I get a nice shave when I use the butter and soap together then using the butter alone. I also use VDH as an after shave balm and don't have any problems doing so. Overall, it is an ok product that is part of my arsenal. I will not buy shave oils because it is expensive and you get little product, so it is VDH and Noxema for my undercoats.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
1. It does work, but clogs a cart to a degree. Works OK/well with DE. I assume with a straight.

2. These greasy, non-lathering "creams" such as Cremo, the Clubman "shave cream," and this one, are actually good for one thing: lady leg shaves in the shower. My wife has good results, as shower stream will knock apart actual fluffy lather, but this grease is somewhat shower-spray-resistant.

They have their place.

AA

Before I started wetshaving, less than a month ago, I used the DSC Shave Butter. It's supposed to be transparent so you can see where you're shaving. With a good shaving cream/soap the whiskers after being cut are separated from the face with the lather. Seems with shave butter you just push around the cut whiskers like leaves on a raked yard. I'd have to shower again after shaving in order to get the lines of greasy whiskers off my face and neck.

I saw a guy using this in my gym the other day and asked him how he liked it.
He responded enthusiastically.

I might try it some day but recently bought a container of Kiss My Face, which comes with a lot more good impressions.

I'm a big fan of Van Der Hagen shave butter and prefer it to Cremo. From reading prior comments, I seem to be in the minority on this product. I don't miss the lathering of other products and get a great shave with my collection of DE razors, both closed and open combs. It takes just a small amount of the shave butter rubbed into your face to give you good protection from nicks and a smooth shave. I also like the aroma (Sandalwood). Even after shaving and showering, the shave butter leaves my face moisturized.

I'm a big fan of Van Der Hagen shave butter and prefer it to Cremo. From reading prior comments, I seem to be in the minority on this product. I don't miss the lathering of other products and get a great shave with my collection of DE razors, both closed and open combs. It takes just a small amount of the shave butter rubbed into your face to give you good protection from nicks and a smooth shave. I also like the aroma (Sandalwood). Even after shaving and showering, the shave butter leaves my face moisturized.
I like VDH Shave Butter also. I am getting very close, smooth, pleasant shaves without nicks, cuts or irritation. The post shave feel is excellent and ranks closely with Mitchell’s Wool Fat. A good product to keep in rotation.

I like VDH Shave Butter also. I am getting very close, smooth, pleasant shaves without nicks, cuts or irritation. The post shave feel is excellent and ranks closely with Mitchell’s Wool Fat. A good product to keep in rotation.

I reread my last comment and need to make one correction. My wife determined that the aroma of Van Der Hagen shave butter is cocoa, not sandalwood. Other than that, I'm still using VDH shave butter and love it. I've been experimenting with first laying down a thin coat of plain olive oil before applying the shave butter. Seems to give an extra layer of protection. In answer to possible questions, no the olive oil doesn't make me smell like a salad.

Not very slick at all. Not very cushioning. Without either of those properties, any shave cream is useless. This product works, but it's mediocre at best. With so many choices today, there is no reason to bother with this product. It's not that it is so cheap that you need to suffer through it. At a similar price point, you can do much, much better. It is so mediocre that after using it just a few times, I won't finish the tube. Likely to hit the waste basket.

Is anything that VDH makes actually any good?

I detect some modern aquatic fragrance in the product.

I was given some for free. I use it as a preshave only. I prefer Cremo or Barbasol as far as brushless creams go.

Top Bottom