What's new

First go with Long Rifle Voyageur

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
So I got me some Long Rifle soaps to try out for fall. I'm a sucker for their backwoods pioneer Natty Bumpo schtick and the scents sounded right up my alley too. I ordered Voyageur and Leatherstocking and received a sample of 1776 as a bonus. I can't wait to work through each, starting with Voyageur

IMG_5287.JPG

The tin is a bit small to lather in, but looks great in the SOTD pic.

I'm impressed with the labels and packaging. Very classy. And rugged looking.

IMG_5284.JPG

The 3 oz puck fits nicely in my mug. I like the company logo stamped into the top. The scent as I opened the tin was wonderful. Heavy on the patchouli, but not in an overbearing hippie shower way. Woodsy and nice. I should mention that the scent profile is listed as oakmoss, sandalwood, and patchoul, all from essential oils.

IMG_5285.JPG

I lathered it up with my Semogue 2000, first on the puck and then my face. As I built lather, the oakmoss scent really blossomed. It's a nice natural woody oakmoss that reminded me of Musgo Real's Oakmoss cream, not the powdery barbershop oakmoss like Clubman. To my nose, the sandalwood was in the background. Usually sandalwood is the star of the show, but here it's just contributing to the woodsy, autumnal feel of the scent.

IMG_5286.JPG

The soap performed just how you expect a top tier artisan soap to perform. The lather is thick, slick, and protective. I thought my Ranger Tech would be a fitting razor for my inaugural run with Long Rifle soap and this razor-soap combo indeed sliced through stubble with ease. I not only finished with a lovely close and comfortable shave, it has lasted all day. Post shave feel is also very nice. I've been facetrobating well into the afternoon for the first time in a long time.

All in all, Voyegur is a wonderful addition to my rotation that I look forward to using frequently this fall and winter. Now on to Leatherstocking!

Ive used Longrifle in the past and it always was a good performer. It warms my heart to support a Wisconsin artisan soapmaker.

I got a sample of the bath soap in the Voyageur scent and it reminded me a lot of Ghost Town Barber. I would think if someone liked one they would like the other.

I also have the Leatherstocking aftershave. It’s an excellent performer and pairs well with outdoorsy scents like Mike’s Pine & Cedarwood.

tankerjohn

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. Yes, I think I would enjoy this one and Leatherstocking as aftershaves. Something for next time!

Nice review! I recently ordered three Longrifle soaps and splashes, Voyageur being one of them. It has a very nice barbershop sort of scent, and the lather and slickness were great!

I wonder why you have a much wider metal tin, and when I purchased 1776 a few weeks ago, it came in a taller, but much more narrow plastic tub. Not even sure if I'll be able to lather directly from tub or just have to scoop out and bowl lather.

Plan on having my first shave with it this week. Scent is pretty good but not very strong, unfortunately.

tankerjohn

I wonder why you have a much wider metal tin, and when I purchased 1776 a few weeks ago, it came in a taller, but much more narrow plastic tub. Not even sure if I'll be able to lather directly from tub or just have to scoop out and bowl lather.

Plan on having my first shave with it this week. Scent is pretty good but not very strong, unfortunately.
I'm guessing because I got the 3 oz puck and you got the 3 oz pour-in tub.

How do you like 1776? I recieved a sample of that one with my order, but haven't tried it yet.

Shave with 1776 will be tomorrow. I prefer strong scents, which 1776 is not. Getting hard to detect much of anything from the tub. Can't comment on the other offerings Long Rifle provides. I'm sure performance will be good, but with all the soaps I have, needs to have both to keep it in a rotation.

Long Rifle is a great soap. I have Hunting Lodge, Hawkeye, Brown Bess and 1776. 1776 scent profile is
Cigar Leaf, Mahogany, and Cedarwood; a nice scent. I think the artisan may be changing packaging as
my 1776 came in a 3oz tub similar to Soap Commander tubs. WCS has free shipping on the 3oz tubs
which are $12. A worthy soap investment in my opinion

Thabks for the review! Long Rifle has been on my list for a while now. have yet to try their products mainly since slowing down on soap purchases recently, the den is getting crazy (currently somewhere in the 200's). But there are so many top notch artisans and they are all different.

Thabks for the review! Long Rifle has been on my list for a while now. have yet to try their products mainly since slowing down on soap purchases recently, the den is getting crazy (currently somewhere in the 200's). But there are so many top notch artisans and they are all different.
Now that is impressive, I thought I had a lot of soaps at 35 or so. You might as well up your soap count by
at least one Long Rifle soap. It would be interesting to hear your feedback compared to some of your other soaps.

Long Rifle was the first artisan soap I ever bought, and it holds a special place in my heart. Great performance and some very nice scents. I recently bought the 6oz pour Hawkeye soap (already had the splash) and a 6oz Bay Rhum (my favorite bay rum of all time) at a discount as they were clearing out their old packaging.

tankerjohn

Long Rifle was the first artisan soap I ever bought, and it holds a special place in my heart. Great performance and some very nice scents. I recently bought the 6oz pour Hawkeye soap (already had the splash) and a 6oz Bay Rhum (my favorite bay rum of all time) at a discount as they were clearing out their old packaging.
Indeed! I'm a longtime Stirling fan, but thought I should branch out a bit. I also got the 6 oz tub of Leatherstocking at the sale price. Unfortunately, she was out of Voyageur in the big size. But I can see why. It's fabulous! So her Bay Rhum is your favorite? That's high praise - there's a whole lot of good bay rums out there.

Top Bottom