What's new

Representative Badger brushes

I am currently using an omega boar and a semogue owners club boar. I want to use these for a couple of kore months at least before trying anything new, so I am certainly not in any hurry.

However, at some point, I am going to want to try badger brushes. I went with semogue and omega because they seem to be the universal recommendations for new shavers looking for the best price/performance trade off in natural bristle brushes.

So is there an equivalent pair of badger brushes that will give a new to badger user the quintessential badger experience? I am looking for two brushes that I can use in rotation with these two boars for a couple of years so I can really form an informed preference or two.

I would consider a Simpson Duke 2 or 3 in best. I personally have the Duke 3. These brushes are pretty well regarded here. I love mine.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
IMHO there are too many variables in badger brushes ... hair grades, density, knot style (flat, bulb, &c), loft, knot diameter, &c ... for us to really narrow it down to just one or two "definitive" brushes.

I started my journey in the badger brushes, and only moved into boar reluctantly when the B&B "Essential Boar" brush came out. And boy, am I glad I did. But let's say I was going to "reverse-engineer" that journey, what would I want to experience in badger after starting in boar? Well, I'd want something "different" from the boar experience. I'd probably try something soft and luxurious in a Shavemac silvertip, and something with "scritch" in a "pure" or "best" badger.

Most of my favourite badger brushes are no longer available. I really like some of the B&B limited edition brushes (the "Kent" one, and the "key-hole" with a Shavemac D01), as well as the original run of Rooney Heritage (Beehive for me.)

But think of it this way: "getting to know badger brushes" is a thousand-dollar journey, but the pay-off isn't a thousand-dollar improvement in your shaving/lathering from your boar starting point. Now, maybe dropping a grand or two on some cool brushes isn't a big problem for you ... or maybe it is. Depends on your circumstances and finances. 'Sup to you.

All the best, either way.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The Semogue 2 band is the best bang for the buck badger I know if you face lather. Personally, aside from this brush I wouldn't consider anything but a boar for face lathering - but others would disagree.

For bowl lathering I like a good sized badger with some backbone and extremely soft tips. The Kent BK8 and/or one of the da Vinci's are excellent choices for that. They are also considerably more expensive than any boar. I can use a cheap boar, but I wont' go near a cheap badger. YMMV.

Synthetics are dirt cheap if you're just looking for an alternative brush.

You might sample a Simpson Special in pure or best. Lotta brush for the $. Berkeley is another Simpson option. Duke is very popular.

Or...you might try a Muhle synthetic. (Try Shaving ie)

Synthetics are a viable option. They tend not to shed, smell, etc.

Take er slow. Some deals to be had on B and B Buy Sell Trade.

I definitely want to try synthetics - but later.

I want to spend a couple of years learning boar and badger and figuring out what I like and dislike about each. In that time there is a more than zero chance that there are some advancements in synthetic fibers. Boar bristle and badger hair aren’t going to change In that time, but it will probably take me that long to really get to know the naturals.

You might sample a Simpson Special in pure or best. Lotta brush for the $. Berkeley is another Simpson option.
When I was looking for a first regular-sized (ie. bigger than a Wee Scot) badger brush, my short list was was a "Special 1 in Best Badger", and a Berkeley. I got the Special, and am perfectly happy with it. No plans to buy another badger.

I am, however, planning to get a SynBad brush from APShaveCo as soon as he gets the Blue Lagoon handles back in Stock.

Last edited:
Simpson chubby 1 and Simpson Tulip 2 would be my "suggestion" because the chubby is the quintessential face lathering brush and the tulip is the quintessential all rounder imho. However, as others have alluded to, you will get a different suggestion in every response you receive because of the limitless variables between different badger brushes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I second the Duke 3. I love my Simpson and I bought it second hand but only used once. Stirling makes several nice badger brushes and Whipped Dog does a great job for more affordable silvertips. I have held off buying a high dollar one for a long time but I really want a Thater 2 band. Maybe someday......

I endorse the Semogue Owners Club 2 band badger (at last check, Amazon had for $57), as it is a fabulous brush that hangs with many $300 brushes.

I also own the Duke 3 in Best badger. This is a nice performing brush also, but will cost at least double the current price of the Semogue I mentioned above and may be on par with that one, but not better in my book.

You might sample a Simpson Special in pure or best. Lotta brush for the $. Berkeley is another Simpson option. Duke is very popular.

Or...you might try a Muhle synthetic. (Try Shaving ie)

Synthetics are a viable option. They tend not to shed, smell, etc.

Take er slow. Some deals to be had on B and B Buy Sell Trade.

I agree , try Simpson Special.. Here is mine , fully broken in ,and Simpson Case I just bought recently..

proxy.php

So many options, so little time!! I prefer badgers for face-lathering because they provide such a luxurious experience. For what it is worth, I would highly recommend any of my current stable (which has been thinned):
Rudy Vey Shavemac 2-band
Simpsons Duke 2 best
Simpsons Chubby 1 best
Simpsons Classic 2 best
Simpsons 57 best
Simpsons Tulip 2 super

I wanted to get a new badger brush (representative brush as OP mentioned) . I have a vintage one, which is great but it has a bit of scratchy feeling.

So I bought a 24 mm badger knot from Aliexpress and put it on a wood handle. The brush is fantastic and knot also.

However I suggest you to get the knot from a seller that guarantees a knot that doesn't shed a hair. I don't know if such seller exist though as this is my first badger brush buy.

Top Bottom