What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread X - A decade of BBQ

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, my new Pit Barrel Cooker is cooking for the first time, and I've got a slab of spare ribs, a 5lb pork butt, and (for giggles) a block of Spam all hanging in it. It's a rainy weekend here in Fort Worth, so I've got it in the garage (with the door open, of course).
I am in FW too (N Richland Hills, to be specific). I am loving this weather. I have a covered patio and a carport, so a little rain never stops me. I love the idea of smoked Spam. I used to be the only one who eats it, but my 4 year old little angel loves it, too.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Had to do the cheap stuff tonight:

DSC_0003.JPG

Seasoned with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Grilled over some lump charcoal:

DSC_0004 (2).JPG

I think we are done:

DSC_0008 (2).JPG

Got pretty close to my target of medium rare-medium...charcoal was damp and grill was wet from the monsoon we had, but we really needed the rain:

DSC_0010 (2).JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Grandma cat liked it also...now if I can just teach her how to bring one down. Oh, wait...I've seen buffalo up close and personal in open pasture. They are more agile than you'd expect and they are HUGE!

I think Grandma would like another bite.

DSC_0013 (2).JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I think they've had enough smoke. I had a bit of a problem keeping the smoker down at temp. even though It's only in the 70s.

DSC_0022 (2).JPG

Not too bad after they were firmed up and trimmed up a bit. I do think I'll wait until the temp. is down about freezing before I do another batch.

DSC_0004 (2).JPG

Smoked for a cousin's wedding this past weekend. 80 heads. 3 packer briskets and 6 butts done on 2 UDSs. At least 3 times as much weight as I've ever done in one go. The cook was no different, just more volume of work and materials needed. Could've used a second dual probe thermometer. As it was I just used mine to monitor the two pit temps and checked meat temps with my instant read stick. It all came off pretty well. One butt was a tougher pull than the others for some reason... al dente by comparison.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
SWMBO is in Tennessee, so it was just simple grilling tonight.

T-Bone over lump and a bit of hickory.

DSC_0005 (2).JPG

I think I hit medium rare. This bachelor stuff is real hard.

DSC_0011.JPG

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Now that would be fun
Eating steaks and shooting hogs!!
Does life get any better than that?

Top Bottom