What's new

Palmolive cream? Want to try

I've tried the red tube version. Not sure if that's the European or Italian version. It didn't have menthol. The scent was a clean soap scent. Not Irish Spring, but think of that green clean deodorant soap style scent. By your avatar, if you like Brut, you'll like Palmolive red tube scent.

I've tried the red tube version. Not sure if that's the European or Italian version. It didn't have menthol. The scent was a clean soap scent. Not Irish Spring, but think of that green clean deodorant soap style scent. By your avatar, if you like Brut, you'll like Palmolive red tube scent.

Sweet, should be here soon! (ordered from UK)

Palmolive green, have to look at the tube to see what it actually is. I’m guessing original. I order from India. I have always used this. My grandpa used it. Irish spring is a good description for scent and color. Actually how I found this site, was searching prices online, as my local store stopped carrying it and stumbled upon Badger&Blade.

Nothing like using what grandpa used! :D I wish I'd been able to ask mine what he used back in the 40's 50's and '60's..I just remember whatever canned foam and Atras..(my memory of him starts from the mid 70's on)..nothing really stands out as far as what he used the most..I REALLY wanna say Lime foam though. Always used Brut or Brut 33 aftershave though.

I do recall him saying when he was in the Navy in '53 he saw guys pour (early 50's original) Aqua Velva through bread, and drink it!! OOOf what a rough ride!:a17::07::18:

I'd love to give them a whirl.

What's the scents like? (original and menthol)

Which version is best, etc?

Thanks!

Very dependable cream.

Packaging is kind of a mystery though.
- in Northern Europe: dark green (regular scent) is the only one
- in Southern Europe (e.g. Italy): dark red is the regular cream, slighly lighter green than in Northern Europe denotes the menthol one
- Northern Africa: regular cream (made in India) in white tube with more colourful print,
- in India there still may be more than one scent available and I have seen dark green, light red (another form of regular?), and light green packaging, the latter described as “refreshing lemon” scent.

I am most familiar with the European ones and they all perform identically (and are apparently made in the same factory in one of the former Eastern Block countries). The Palmolive take on menthol is much more subtle than the all-out attack of Proraso.
Most of the time the regular version is labelled as “Classic”.

If you can get it in one of the local supermarkets, Palmolive shaving creams are inexpensive, well performing shaving creams with a fresh, clean scent.

If you can, you might also want to try the increadibly cheap and equally dependable Palmolive shaving stick.

B.

Last edited:
here's what grandpa used, it's nice, a dose of menthol, plus the signature palmolive slimy soapy scent.
works fine; naturally, pair it with palmolive aftershave!

palmolive vintage.jpg

After going through some other products, re-discovered my tube of red non-menthol Italian Palmolive. I had forgotten how nice it is and how good my skin felt.
For reference, Ikon X3 with Israeli Personna blade

Got it in, and I really like it! Got a couple sticks as well, great stuff, low price!

(I have some NOS brushless as well! Which may just wind up as decor..)
palmolive.PNG

I have tried dark green that is called classic, blue one that is called cool (with menthol) and sensitive version very light green, and also soaps that are dirt cheap. I haven't tried canned goo, with canned goo red is classic and sensitive is dark green. I like classic cream the most, then sensitive version and cool is the last one, and every time I buy soap to remember myself how it performs I'm disappointed. I'd recommend classic, cheap, great lather and I like the scent and feel very much. One of my favorite shaving lathers. Here is the green one that is almost gone

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have tried dark green that is called classic, blue one that is called cool (with menthol) and sensitive version very light green, and also soaps that are dirt cheap. I haven't tried canned goo, with canned goo red is classic and sensitive is dark green. I like classic cream the most, then sensitive version and cool is the last one, and every time I buy soap to remember myself how it performs I'm disappointed. I'd recommend classic, cheap, great lather and I like the scent and feel very much. One of my favorite shaving lathers. Here is the green one that is almost gone

proxy.php

I got the same tube in and I really like it, just a fainter scent than the stick..

Maybe trying to super-lather this with the stick (which I grated and put in Old Spice mug) is next!

I got the same tube in and I really like it, just a fainter scent than the stick..

Maybe trying to super-lather this with the stick (which I grated and put in Old Spice mug) is next!
I've never tried doing that. I consider cream's lather much more superior than the one made from soap. Also soap dries my skin. But some people like soap more than cream it really is YMMW.

edit: to correct myself, I like the soap but I like creams so much that using soap after the creams is not as good.

I've never tried doing that. I consider cream's lather much more superior than the one made from soap. Also soap dries my skin. But some people like soap more than cream it really is YMMW.

edit: to correct myself, I like the soap but I like creams so much that using soap after the creams is not as good.

Sounds like I'll have to run a shoot out between them some week! :D

Top Bottom