What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

Well Gent's here she is all done and dusted Geo Wostenholm & Sons Double Concave IXL razor, Now sporting black horn scales.....

View attachment 914359 View attachment 914360 View attachment 914361 View attachment 914362 View attachment 914363View attachment 914367 View attachment 914366
proxy.php
proxy.php

Salvaged this set of S.R. Droescher Tennis scales from a rat razor(got duped on eBay with this one). When collecting razors gives you lemons, make lemonade out of the parts! So, I threw these scales on another Tennis razor, a Dovo Fritz Bracht in near NOS condition. The Dovo’s scales were warped and shrunken, so they were scrapped. Not the nicest set of scales, but I’m happy with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are gorgeous!

The Waterville was a labor of love .I hand sanded her from 240 grit up to 4000 grit .I may replace the bug/worm eaten scales .But I wanted to get her shave ready first .Here is a pic of the Kirinite scales I am thinking of using .
KSCALES.jpg

Boker Kings Cutter: Clean up so far it's all by hand as you can see from the tang it was nasty gunk'ed up. Now I found this funky wavy line don't think its a crack but time will tell.1022180213.jpg 1022180213c.jpg

I've been so excited that I bought a couple of straights before thoroughly examining them. After sanding away the corrosion I found cracks. It's annoying but my fault for not checking. Also I'm sure at some point I may have cause a crack from handling with out enough care when sanding. Those hallow Germans get thin sometimes.good luck

That's an odd one was it there before you started.....
Not that i saw it was pretty nasty it was part of a set i got off the bidding sight. 2 Boker Kings Cutters 1ERN 1 Tonsorial (cracked scale) 1 Landers Frary and a sharp as well you know George Wostenholm. All was no rust or pitting just need a massive cleaning otherwise. Just the wavy line i cant figure out lol and the cracked but that will be my first rescale so Im gonna take my time with it.

Bought these last week and they arrived on Wednesday, a pair of Express razors ground in Sheffield. But got a shock as the scales are in Ivory, So here is the Pictures the first 3 aint mine but the sellers...

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

So a clean up and a bloody good polish and wax, and here they are now.

20181027_224840.jpg
20181027_224948.jpg

So if anyone has come across any info please share...

Last edited:
I've been so excited that I bought a couple of straights before thoroughly examining them. After sanding away the corrosion I found cracks. It's annoying but my fault for not checking. Also I'm sure at some point I may have cause a crack from handling with out enough care when sanding. Those hallow Germans get thin sometimes.good luck

That's me aswell I was polishing one and sneezed and a big chunk full off

Not that i saw it was pretty nasty it was part of a set i got off the bidding sight. 2 Boker Kings Cutters 1ERN 1 Tonsorial (cracked scale) 1 Landers Frary and a sharp as well you know George Wostenholm. All was no rust or pitting just need a massive cleaning otherwise. Just the wavy line i cant figure out lol and the cracked but that will be my first rescale so Im gonna take my time with it.

Try rubbing your finger nail across it if it is a crack you will feel it....

This is what happened to mine

20180228_120616.jpg

Here's one that I saved.the crack was towards the heel so I gave it a smile. I liked the fiesta etching. The tang is ivory on one side and mammoth on the other. The scales and wedge are mastadon. I have been wanting to try the double pins at wedge.
IMG_20181028_133726.jpg

First off Beautiful ivory razors Ice Man!!!

well I been scrubbing the Boker from around 6 today (it's Midnight my time now) and the line is still there. I did try running my finger nail over it but cant feel anything. But here is the kicker. Now that I have scrubbed on it all night it looks like the line goes into the tang. I'm starting to wonder if someone scratched it with a nail or awl for some reason? Don't know if you can see in the photos Clean then dirty

Attachments

• cleaned.jpg
    cleaned.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 21
  • dirty top.jpg
    dirty top.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 21
  • cleaned.jpg
    cleaned.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 21
  • dirty top.jpg
    dirty top.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 21

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I think maybe you have a stress fracture originating from the HT quench. Sometimes these don't really affect the razor at all. Sometimes they do. I had a GD66 that was split down the spine right into the blade, coming out on the show side. It was only visible after I had sanded to I think 1k or so. I finished the project and honed it up and shaved with no issues, and I think I PIFed it a few weeks later. OTOH I had a Bengal with a similar crack that literally came apart while I was polishing.

The Waterville was a labor of love .I hand sanded her from 240 grit up to 4000 grit .I may replace the bug/worm eaten scales .But I wanted to get her shave ready first .Here is a pic of the Kirinite scales I am thinking of using .
View attachment 917530

I somehow can't see it in those scales. The black ones are so traditional and the look works so well that I can't see it otherwise. I would like to see what you ultimately decide on though. You did a great job on the Waterville. It's just beautiful.

Bought these last week and they arrived on Wednesday, a pair of Express razors ground in Sheffield. But got a shock as the scales are in Ivory, So here is the Pictures the first 3 aint mine but the sellers...

View attachment 923418 View attachment 923419 View attachment 923420

So a clean up and a bloody good polish and wax, and here they are now.

View attachment 923421 View attachment 923422

So if anyone has come across any info please share...

Those look wonderful Ian! Great score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I did it I have a really nice set of older Straight Razors even have two new razors I love. But I also love to tinker and guess a glutton for punishment. Or was just drinking moonshine last month when I was in Tennessee. But today in the mail it came. GD 300 purple and blue "Assault" Razor I sorta remember reading a few of the gents on here doing custom work on them for fun. I took a few photos of the re-bar with an edge but everyone knows what they look like so I'll hold off post until I finish it. Hey for 13 bucks got the GD 300 a 10" strop (ish) and tube of pale green paste. So this should be fun Have a great one everyone!

Top Bottom