What's new

Kent BK8

Has anyone heard of Landy's Chemist? I just landed a Kent BK8 for 74.50 pounds shipped to the USA. That's less than $100 shipped for a brand new Kent BK8.

I've found that Kent brushes sell for less in the UK
Thanks Mick. I've gotten good deals from UK based vendors in the past. Connaught specifically. Landy's seems legit. They have a long history, take paypal, and they have a good running and professional appearing website and a social media presence.

Congrats! Please let us know how the transaction goes, & when you get the brush. I'm thinking I need another brush & a Kent silvertip for under $100 might be my next purchase.

Last edited:
Congrats! Please let us know how the transaction goes, & when you get the brush. I'm thinking I need another brush & a Kent silvertip for under $100 might be my next purchase.
I will let you guys know how long it takes. I got some X-pec last year from Connaught and it didn't take long at all. I should correct that under $100 claim. When I used an online currency converter before reporting here, it came out to about $98.50 but pay pal converted it to about $102.10. Still, it is a lot less than any other source that I checked. The best price from an American or Canadian shaving vendor is $190. Amazon was also around $200. Even Kent's own website was about $118.

I will let you guys know how long it takes. I got some X-pec last year from Connaught and it didn't take long at all. I should correct that under $100 claim. When I used an online currency converter before reporting here, it came out to about $98.50 but pay pal converted it to about $102.10. Still, it is a lot less than any other source that I checked. The best price from an American or Canadian shaving vendor is $190. Amazon was also around $200. Even Kent's own website was about $118.
Now there is one BLK-8 on Amazon for $99.

It took about two and a half weeks. I ordered it on a weekend, my office doesn't get mail on Saturday because we are closed, and the last Monday was a holiday for the USPS, so that isn't too bad for being shipped across the pond. The box was in excellent shape and Landy's packaged the brush very well with plenty of paper wrapping. Kent has a very nice presentation. As I'm sure you guys know, they send the brushes out in a very nice cylindrical box. Pictures are coming soon, and this weekend I will lather it once to clean it, and then use it.

I consider that very timely delivery. Encouraged to hear of the care in packaging. I look forward to the pictures & write up!

RSCN2255[1].JPG

This weekend it gets used.

Here's my take. Very different brush for me. Even my other 3 bands are denser and lower lofted, resulting in more net backbone. The hairs themselves have some backbone, but the high loft and modest density result in a very soft brush with very little perceived backbone. Many call it floppy. I'm not sure I would describe it that way. It splays and blooms like crazy, but the hairs did not all flop over to one side together. It feels really nice and soft on the face with ZERO scrub and no hint of scritch or scratchiness. Certainly has a luxurious feel to it. It has mad flow through and whips up a lather very quickly and releases it all whether you want it to or not. I'm not sure I can recommend it for face lathering, but I will try. In short, it isn't my favorite as I prefer more backbone and a lot more density, but I do like it and will keep it in the rotation.

Here's my take. Very different brush for me. Even my other 3 bands are denser and lower lofted, resulting in more net backbone. The hairs themselves have some backbone, but the high loft and modest density result in a very soft brush with very little perceived backbone. Many call it floppy. I'm not sure I would describe it that way. It splays and blooms like crazy, but the hairs did not all flop over to one side together. It feels really nice and soft on the face with ZERO scrub and no hint of scritch or scratchiness. Certainly has a luxurious feel to it. It has mad flow through and whips up a lather very quickly and releases it all whether you want it to or not. I'm not sure I can recommend it for face lathering, but I will try. In short, it isn't my favorite as I prefer more backbone and a lot more density, but I do like it and will keep it in the rotation.
I use it for face lathering and it works fine for me. In fact, I find it has more backbone the Plisson Cade I have.

I use it for face lathering and it works fine for me. In fact, I find it has more backbone the Plisson Cade I have.
Cool. I'm going to give it a try. I usually bowl lather, but face lather sometimes. One thing is certain, it will not cause any irritation. This hair is beautifully soft.

Top Bottom