What's new

Barbasol...vs the world of shave cream

About a year ago, I noticed that Combe invested in a Aqua Velva website and revamped the sticker on the bottles. Can we conclude that the steady milk cow was producing less ?
I think it's just as likely that something in the market or the trends spooked them and they are trying to take preventative measures. But, if you think about it, many of the folks currently using artisan aftershaves would have been using AV if not for the artisan boom.

Inspired by this thread, I shaved today as if it were 1956: my Red Tip of that year and Barbasol! (Yes, I used a modern blade, a Personna Platinum. But Personna was a brand back then, too.)

I never got good results from Barbasol. For one thing, I need multiple passes. It also works SO much better if it is hot. I found a good tallow bar soap in the shower works better than Barbasol. I had better luck with gels.

I think it's just as likely that something in the market or the trends spooked them and they are trying to take preventative measures. But, if you think about it, many of the folks currently using artisan aftershaves would have been using AV if not for the artisan boom.
Nah, I was an Old Spice Man!

I never got good results from Barbasol. For one thing, I need multiple passes. It also works SO much better if it is hot. I found a good tallow bar soap in the shower works better than Barbasol. I had better luck with gels.

When I break out the Barbasol I use it with a Conair hot lather cap and apply the lather with a brush.

:tongue_sm

Anyone remember "Singin' Sal th' Barbasol Gal"? Never knew her real name but she was so fine I would have drunk her bathwater. Richard Pryor would have said "she was so fine I would have @#$%^& her daddys @#$%. Good product too, when available.

Google has a different story to share, gentlemen. It was Singin' Sam the Barbaasol Man!

http://www.digitaldeliftp.com/lookaround/advertspot_cocacola4.htm

Between 1937 and 1942, Singin' Sam -- Richmond, IN singer Harry Frankel, known as "Singin’ Sam, the Barbasol Man" for his long association with the famous shaving cream company . . .
Zombie post..but there WAS a Singin' Sal the Barbasol Gal as well.:whistling:
proxy.php

What is the best Barbasol type to get? I've got a 1$ off coupon for Barbasol. I don't need it, but for the price I'll get it.
MM879

I just posted to another thread that after 5 years of using proraso shave soap in the tubs, my face began erupting like Hawaiian Volcanos. I ultimately zeroed in on the proraso as the cause and wound up needing to see a dermatologist to clear up the carnage. Still had problems every time I put the Proraso, red or green, near my face.

Desparate for a daily shave without needing a tournaqet around my neck, I went to the drug store and bought an aerosol can of Barbasol. Now, about 5 days later, I am getting great daily close shaves and I no longer resemble the cutting table at the local butcher shop!!

Funny, I should find someone posting a tribute to Barbasol on this sight!! But thus far, I am singing its praises!! Sure hope it continues!!

What is the best Barbasol type to get? I've got a 1$ off coupon for Barbasol. I don't need it, but for the price I'll get it.
MM879
I'd say Aloe (green). The lanolin (purple) version might be the best, but the Aloe is almost as good, easier to find in stores, and some folks have an allergy problem with lanolin.

Never liked barbasol at all when I used canned goo and carts.

MUCH preferred Edge Pro Gel. Orange lid, which I believe was sensitive skin. A can of that would last a LONG time, because you really don't need much, the trick was a wet face and wet hands. I didn't just smear it on my face, I worked up a lather, so to speak.

Dad still uses Barbasol. It's likely all he has ever used, along with his (original) Trac II...last I knew, anyway.

Badger brush and Proraso isn't much slower, I'll stick to that :)

Barbasol is fairly effective if you thin it down with water. But it becomes cumbersome since I did multiple passes with carts.

I'm wondering how the non-aerosol tube is. Never got the chance to try.

Barbasol is fairly effective if you thin it down with water. But it becomes cumbersome since I did multiple passes with carts.

I'm wondering how the non-aerosol tube is. Never got the chance to try.
If you use a brush with it and water, it becomes like any other cream for multiple passes.

I think many people used to use canned creams with brushes. Gels are also not too bad but they can clog the razor head.

My fav Barbasols were either the Aloe green or the orange Sensitive can.

The yellow can with lanolin seemed to react badly with my skin

Top Bottom