What's new

Old Man Rant

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have the one they took to the moon ... one of these:

Slide Rule, 5-inch, Pickett N600-ES, Apollo 13

Not that I can use it beyond basics. Tom Swift was my hero growing up; he relied on one. Don't think his pal Bud Barclay could use one, though.

Tom Swift - Wikipedia

I have no rant. They did put in the no-teller scanners at the Wallyworld in my bad part of town ... a month later they were gone!

Seems the locals just had trouble scanning their items and would throw most of them in the cart ... all the time. Ooops! "You mean that didn't scan? And that too? No I ain't stealin' - dang scanner ain't working!"

People are funny, eh?

AA
Yes sir, people are funny, serves Wally right!

Oh, Yes:

Left lane drivers (divided, two-lane roads) - Specifically, those who stay there.

Hello??? Passing Lane??? What speed you're driving and what speed the person who wishes to pass you is driving is almost invariably irrelevant in the overall safety scenario - You create road rage, passing to the right, etc.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
They keep adding self-scan checkouts at wallyworld, sams, lowes, on and on. I refuse to use them unless they give me a discount or pay me for using it. Trouble is at times none of the checkouts with clerks are even open! Soon they will all be self-serve.

The Home Depots here are mostly all self checkout. The one closest to me has one staffed register. The girl staffing it one evening was on her cell phone when I got there and she suggested that I could use the self checkout. I suggested that if she didnt want to lose her job to another self checkout line she might try doing it.

Left lane drivers (divided, two-lane roads) - Specifically, those who stay there.

Yes. YES! lol

When exactly did they stop teaching 'keep right except to pass'?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
They keep adding self-scan checkouts at wallyworld, sams, lowes, on and on. I refuse to use them unless they give me a discount or pay me for using it. Trouble is at times none of the checkouts with clerks are even open! Soon they will all be self-serve.
At our local Walmart they shut down self serve around 10 PM, then have about 4 lanes (with long lines) open. At self serve, 1 person can man 6 registers- why don’t they leave them open?

I just missed the slide rule growing. When I got to high school digital calculators were just being introduced and everybody wanted one. I've picked up a few slide rules at estate sales these past few years and I'm teaching myself to use them.

But watch out if you need parts for yours or are looking for a quality old one. Those dang things are pricey!

I purchased a Post Versalog bamboo slide rule when I was in engineering school. I could really fly on that thing. When I graduated, I started to work in a R&D lab and had to purchase my own calculator. A Texas Instruments slide rule calculator at that time was about $150, about 1/4 of a month's take home pay. Now you can purchase a calculator with similar capabilities for less than $10. The problem with a calculator though is that people punch in numbers and then give the answer to ten significant digits, without any clue as to whether the answer is meaningful. With an analog slide rule, you had to figure out the approximate answer on paper and just used the slide rule to give you a few extra significant digits. Most measurements are made to only 2-3 significant digits anyway. If I report my weight as as 108,960 grams, you have no clue what I weigh. That number is meaningless. Saying I weigh 109 kg is more meaningful. Likewise, I could report my weight as 240# or 17.1 stone.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
At self serve, 1 person can man 6 registers- why don’t they leave them open?

Thats a very good example of social conditioning. They close them, make you wait and look at them so you start to want them more.

It wont be long until theres one floater cashier wandering around in a supervisory role, which is what its like at the Home Depot near me. Then eventually it will become completely automated and if theres an issue you'll be talking into a speaker like we have at many gas stations here, (push the button for assistance) but the person you'll be talking to may not even be in the same country. Like internet tech support.

All of that I believe stems from greed at its root. The corporations can save money by not paying salaries, but does that translate to lower cost for items bought? No it does not. It increases profit margins and makes us slaves to their system and agenda.

I totally get that, maybe my example is not the correct one to generalize the topic, I mean, this country(USA) is great for a reason, I just really believe when it comes to education we have deviated from what really works to just comply with an agenda instead of focusing on truthfully teaching kids the skills they need for real life!
I was just kidding around. You misspelled two words in that sentence that I quoted. :)

I had to think about something to rant about. When I'm in a longer than usual line at the grocery store that usually means that there are a lot of other longer lines as well, so a lot of people around who aren't too happy.

It also usually means a bunch of people called in sick or there is some other unavoidable problem that the store is dealing with. I'm not a real patient guy but I'm patient with people (not that I particularly like people) :) I'm just not overly emotional and I do have self-control.

So, while I'm trying to grim and bear it in the long line I dislike it when the guy in front of me is "angry" and feels the needs to turn around and speak loudly about how crappy this store is or can't the manager see the long lines or look at that cashier talking to a customer while we stand in line.

I really just want to tell him to shut up and then to grab him by the shoulders and spin him back around. :)

It drives me nuts because everyone else is in the same situation, everyone else is trying to behave as a group and one guy has to vent to everyone else so that he feels better where the effect is that we are all now slightly more annoyed.

It's like being stuck in traffic, maybe an older person is crossing the street but not everyone can see that is the case. Most people wait for a second for whatever the problem is to clear up but there's always one guy who needs to vent by blaring his horn.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thats a very good example of social conditioning. They close them, make you wait and look at them so you start to want them more.

It wont be long until theres one floater cashier wandering around in a supervisory role, which is what its like at the Home Depot near me. Then eventually it will become completely automated and if theres an issue you'll be talking into a speaker like we have at many gas stations here, (push the button for assistance) but the person you'll be talking to may not even be in the same country. Like internet tech support.

All of that I believe stems from greed at its root. The corporations can save money by not paying salaries, but does that translate to lower cost for items bought? No it does not. It increases profit margins and makes us slaves to their system and agenda.
In this country, the only important thing is profit. If American middle class disappears they don’t care- China and India has a rapidly growing middle class. We are a country in decline.

FarmerTan

In this country, the only important thing is profit. If American middle class disappears they don’t care- China and India has a rapidly growing middle class. We are a country in decline.
Correct. Look up the median age in India, and be very afraid, lol. Stick a fork in us.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Its the same thing in Canada, only its worse. ;)

New diatribe. What's with these namby pamby man caves and such? If my old man needed to get away from us he reorganized his work bench or mowed the lawn or waxed the car. There was no man cave.

Watch HGTV today. Young couple, maybe a puppy. Gotta have four bedrooms, a crafts room, a game room, man cave, garage, exercise room, granite countertops on which to set the takeout pizza, yada, yada.

Kids today.... LOL

FarmerTan

New diatribe. What's with these namby pamby man caves and such? If my old man needed to get away from us he reorganized his work bench or mowed the lawn or waxed the car. There was no man cave.

Watch HGTV today. Young couple, maybe a puppy. Gotta have four bedrooms, a crafts room, a game room, man cave, garage, exercise room, granite countertops on which to set the takeout pizza, yada, yada.

Kids today.... LOL
Ok, I'll get off your lawn.

FarmerTan

At the risk of being called old by the youngsters, agree 100%. My old man would be 92 years old if he were still here. I recall many a time going with him to a friends place and being allowed to be with him and a friend in the garage as they smoked Pall Malls and drank beer and swapped lies. I felt so grown up. Back then a man cave smelled like gear lube, lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Kids today.... LOL

I'm turning into this...

18361641ec72a3507be5b5f6eeae862d.gif

...a lot sooner than expected.

Top Bottom