What's new

how many brushes before reaching practicality limit?

73131D7F-AD66-4E96-A9B8-8DAB2312330C.jpeg

Only NEED 3 or 4 at best-a boar, a badger, a synthetic, and ideally a dedicated travel brush. But then......

Variety is nice. A few boars, several different badgers, maybe a couple synthetics. I do it for the children.

The Yaqi brushes seem to be coming onto the scene as a bona fide hot set-up. Price is right and the handles are really nice. Still not as good as a Muhle STF but surely a competent brush. Just bought another last night. Think that makes four now.

I think depends on your personality. Whether your sensibility will allow you to let an item sit idle for a while between uses. I consider 10+ to be way more than needed, even though I have more. But one mitigating factor is that you can not really decide if you like a brush without trying it. It is not like an article of clothing that you can try on before buying.

Still there is some practical limit on the number of items which get used once a day. Be it razors, brushes, soaps, shoes, wristwatches, jewelry, ...

Very well said sir.

Any more than 2 is probably more than you really need but when shaving becomes a hobby, theres almost no limit to how many brushes you really, "need".

I am in a current SBAD after only having 2 for 10 years. I think I will find it excessive after I have more brushes than days in the month. Of course at that point I'll just get creative and my months will be Septober!!! Ha Ha :lol:

I only have three that get used regularly nowadays (ones a travel brush). Probably still too many.

I purchased a quality badger out of curiosity. It’s great. And recently picked up a mixed badger/boar knot. Those two get used most.

I also have two synthetics - one regulated for travel. And a boar that rarely gets used as I find it too floppy. So five in total and three that get used. (Badger, mixed, synthetic).

OP here

I originally asked because having practical reasoning that actually makes sense really helps smooth out the wrinkles when discussing hobby expenses with the better half.

I am all too familiar with acquisition disorders of various sorts - but it makes for a quieter homefront if I can sell the wife on the idea.

Having two of your favorite brushes makes more sense to me. Of course if you haven't tried many, buying different types of brushes makes even more sense to establish what your favorite is. Also, if you load different types of soaps (soap, croap, or cream), or from different containers (deep mugs, shallow tins, tubs, and tubes), you might develop of preference for different brushes for different tasks.

My Omega Pro 10098 is good for loading from mugs, or larger tins, but seems to eat creams, and can be messy with small tubs of croaps. I have a smaller vintage boar I prefer to use with them.

This is the sort of stuff I'mma digging fer!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have one boar for home, and one synthetic for travel.

Travel brush also serves as back up in case of problems with the home brush, to tide me over until the replacement arrives.

Folks can buy as many as they want, for whatever reason they want, but I fail to see any practicalities of owning more than these two.

OP here

I originally asked because having practical reasoning that actually makes sense really helps smooth out the wrinkles when discussing hobby expenses with the better half.

I am all too familiar with acquisition disorders of various sorts - but it makes for a quieter homefront if I can sell the wife on the idea.

This is the sort of stuff I'mma digging fer!

Weekend for enjoyment versus more practical quick shave during the week. Brushes for creams vs soaps or face lathering vs bowl lathering when the mood strikes. People have already discussed travel options (both size and material, synthetics?).

That "2nd brush reasoning" lead me to eventually buying 25 or so. I currently have 10 brushes (8 badgers/2 synth). One synth is my Saitek keyboard cleaner. The other one sees use about once a month. 4 of the 8 badgers I kept have been boxed up and unused for a couple of years. The other 4 badgers, 3 Thaters and a Rooney 1/1, see regular use.

I have three brushes zenith synthetic, zenith boar, zenith manchurian. I shave every other day and want my brushes to completely dry between uses. I alternate between these three each shave. I cant think of a good enough reason to buy another brush.

Top Bottom