What's new

Remind me again...why did we hate shaving?

I've been at this traditional wet-shaving thing now for several years. I have experienced every kind of shaving related AD known to human kind and I love shaving. I never miss a day. But I was thinking this evening -- what was it I hated so much about shaving before I discovered traditional wet-shaving? Was it the fact I couldn't get a good shave? Nope. That wasn't the case because even with my Triple edge cartridge razor I was able to get an excellent shave. Was it because I only used one soap and one AS for close to 40 years? Nope again. I got excellent lather and moisturizing with my soap and AS. (I used a brush and soap puck for 40+ years). Was it because my shaves lacked variety? I don't think so.

So, what was it that made me dislike shaving so much? Truth is, I don't know...or more likely, I can't remember. But I do know there was a definite time when I discovered traditional wet shaving and I went from hating shaving to really enjoying shaving.

Why did you hate shaving?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I never hated it. It’s just a chore and I’m lazy. Thankfully I’ve never had a job that required me to be clean shaven. So I over the years I’ve grown beards, and mustaches, and goatees, and side burns and every other combo of facial hair you can think of. Even now I shave every few days. But I may decide to grow a beard tomorrow.

So yeah, I never hated shaving. I hated spending money on cartridges. That’s for sure!

When I was still working, I traveled about 10 days per month. So 1/3 of my shaves were in hotel rooms. My objective was to shower and shave as quickly as possible, grab breakfast and then head out to my first appointment. I either shaved with an electric razor, or a disposable cartridge razor. When using the cartridge, I normally shaved in the shower with whatever shampoo was available as the lubricant. Shaving was just another chore for the day, something to be accomplished in the least amount of time possible.

Now that I am retired, I have time to turn shaving into an enjoyable experience. I now shave with a straight razor using a warm, slick, cushioning lather produced from top-tier shaving soaps and creams. Rather than being a chore, shaving is now a relaxing experience. It is an experience that stimulates the senses of vision, sound, touch, and smell. There is the beauty of polished steel, well formed scales, smooth leather strops, and a well turned brush handle. There is the sound of steel passing along the strop, the sound of lather being whipped up in a bowl, the song generated by whiskers being severed by sharp steel. There is the touch of the hand on the razor scales, the feel of the brush on the face, the slickness and cushion of the lather, and the feel of a sharp edge against the skin. Then there is the smell of a leather strop and the scent of the shave soap and aftershave. Now I have time to appreciate those things that were missing from my shave routine of the past.

I had a few ‘issues’ with carts, canned goo, etc.
1. I was getting ingrown hairs and other skin problems.
2. My shaves were not that close.
3. Shaving was a daily chore, certainly not fun or a skill that I enjoyed.

Finally, I objected to the continued ‘progress’ with more ‘features’ that increased the cost but not the quality of my shaves! The basic strategy seemed to be to separate me from more of my hard earned $. :a13::a13:

I didn't hate it, it was just something that had to be done. I was using can and cartridge, Mach 3 in particular, single pass. They were normally cutting in my beard, not full shaves normally, not close shaves ever. Moustache would only leave my face when horrible, life changing, trimming disasters occurred. ;)

Shaving is now something to look forward to. My mini spa time.

I hated shaving, with a passion. I used gel and whatever disposable multi-blade contraption that was cheap. I had no idea of WTG, XTG, or ATG, so I went ATG all the time thinking it would cut the whiskers down close. I would shave maybe twice a week. Imagine going ATG on your first pass after 3-4 days of shaving!

Now I enjoy it immensely. I especially enjoy all the different soaps that are available and the very comfortable shave I get.

I'm also in the group that didn't hate it, but didn't enjoy it either. It was just a chore. I only shave every other day, and before DE shaving I would always shaved in the shower, as it gave me the best results and was the quickest. Even though it only took an extra 5 minutes, it was an extra 5 minutes I could be sleeping! :)

It was more of a cost saving thing for me... initially, anyway... damn them nice soaps and creams. :p I got into DE shaving when I was looking for better deals on the expensive cartridges.

Now it's a process I enjoy and look forward to every other day. It takes me longer, but I'll happily wake up 30 min earlier for something that I enjoy. And if I really want to take my time and enjoy the process, I'll shave at night. The extra close shaves last well through the next day, anyway.

I hated shaving because:
1- it gave me ingrown hairs and other blemishes
2- my neck always had razor burn
3- carts cost way too much

I hated carts! I kept buying them cause I thought they were the best a man can get (silly gillette slogan!) but always gave me irritation and to compensate I would go 3/4 days between shaves to let my skin heal, then besides the irritation the problem was that carts clog and there was no way of getting the goo and hairs mess unstock from in between the blades so that was pretty gross, last but not least, was to have someone at the store open the darn case where they had the carts, till one day one of them complained right to my face that he was tired of having to open the darn things cause everybody wanted to get razors that day (he didnt shave, of course!) so I had it, researched better ways to shave and bumped into shave nation.com and the rest is history, being at it 8 years now and loving it, I would like to add that with my technique developed I can go to carts and get a decent shave but, is no fun!

I actually hated it and it was a chore. I had been using an electric and really it was probably past it’s lifespan. It got to where it would just pull hair out instead of cutting.

I tried traditional shaving on a whim, just to try something different. I liked the old school aspect of it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I did not really hate it but it was a chore. When I was in high school a beard and then shaved it off when I had to. Then I grew a beard when I could again but mainly to " stick it to the man". I tried DE shaving unsuccessfully back in the early 1980's when given some heirloom razors. Packed them away until about 2 years ago when I watched some videos and tried again. Now it is not so much of a chore but I like now trying different blades, soaps and razors.

Started with a Tech and Ivory soap in 66. Over the years tried most options. Thing is, there were no online instructional videos showing how to do it right. I mostly shaved ATG only. Oy.

Because those damn mean SOB's in Smokey the Bear hats rode me about it like a drug store pony.
Young grasshopper, the name is Smokey Bear. There is no “the”.

You are welcome. :)

I didn’t like shaving because I cut myself a lot - I just didn’t really know how to shave properly. I finally learned how to shave when I went wet.

When I was still working, I traveled about 10 days per month. So 1/3 of my shaves were in hotel rooms. My objective was to shower and shave as quickly as possible, grab breakfast and then head out to my first appointment. I either shaved with an electric razor, or a disposable cartridge razor. When using the cartridge, I normally shaved in the shower with whatever shampoo was available as the lubricant. Shaving was just another chore for the day, something to be accomplished in the least amount of time possible.

Now that I am retired, I have time to turn shaving into an enjoyable experience. I now shave with a straight razor using a warm, slick, cushioning lather produced from top-tier shaving soaps and creams. Rather than being a chore, shaving is now a relaxing experience. It is an experience that stimulates the senses of vision, sound, touch, and smell. There is the beauty of polished steel, well formed scales, smooth leather strops, and a well turned brush handle. There is the sound of steel passing along the strop, the sound of lather being whipped up in a bowl, the song generated by whiskers being severed by sharp steel. There is the touch of the hand on the razor scales, the feel of the brush on the face, the slickness and cushion of the lather, and the feel of a sharp edge against the skin. Then there is the smell of a leather strop and the scent of the shave soap and aftershave. Now I have time to appreciate those things that were missing from my shave routine of the past.

+1. Very well put. It has a lot to do with your mind set. If shaving is something you try to knock out quickly as you’re getting ready for work, then it will most likely not be enjoyable.

If you think of shaving as a time to relax, and enjoy the nuances of the scents, the sounds, then you are able to find the enjoyment.

Add in the fun of trying new products, finding what works best, and overall improving your technique and you can go from not only getting enjoyment from shaving, but to being pationate about it as well.

I always loved the feeling of being clean shaven. But the process of getting there was cumbersome and unpleasant. Canned goo. Pivoting heads. Always the next "innovation" promising better results. And to add insult to injury, shelling out $$$$ for a pack of cartridges every couple of months? The only other option I knew of was the incessant angry bee buzzing of an electric, invariably ending in a sub-par result. A perfect recipe for resentment.

Then I found traditional shaving.

Everything makes sense. Economy of effort. "Flow" in grooming. Economical (if one avoids the xADs). And fantastic results. This was how it was, is, and forever shall be done. Plus, the added bonus of some quality "me time" transformed from a more base activity. I'm sold!

Oh, and then there's all the toys ... So many toys... :001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:

I didn’t hate shaving before. It was part of my morning constitution: poop, shower, & shave. Just something that needed to be done each day. How do you like my editing so my post remains family friendly? LOL!

I'm in the didn't hate it group but I didn't enjoy it either. I was shaving with canned goo and carts and with an electric razor.

The smell of the goo and the light weight of the razor along with the lack of any technique required just left it as a chore.

Now with a DE or a straight and with more enjoyable soap and some technique required and I do find it enjoyable.

It was a necessary evil.
Canned goo was not warm and did nothing to prep the face , in all fairness I did not know any better about proper prep.
Shaving every other or every third day would leave a clogged cartridge from the first pass. I think I spent as much time smashing the head against the sink to clear it than I did shaving. It was infuriating!
The first try with a straight I knew I was never going back. It just made sense.
All the other add ons was pure bonus: silvertip badger brush, fine quality soap, aftershave balm and great aftershave instead of generic items makes it something to look forward to and unwind while enjoying the new way.

I also hated it. The main reason was the tugging I experienced with carts. I was so painful. I did discover back then, that if I use the single trimming blade that Gillette quattro 4x4 (out whatever :) ) had on the upper side of the head, that tugging would be mostly gone. And this eventually led me to thinking that single blade should work better for me.
The rest is history [emoji14]

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom