What's new

Occam's razor.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Just wondering how many shaves you gents are getting from your blades before swapping them out?

I've never kept track of the number of shaves on a blade and just change blades when I become aware of the blade rather than the razor.

I have about 14 shaves in with the Occam's/OREN razor v2. I have used both the KAI Mild Pink blade as well as the Feather Professional with the 1 dot cap. I think this razor is now my favorite of any razor I own (or sold). It provides a close, comfortable shave. Luke has improved both the grip and shaving under the nose which were the two biggest criticisms of the v1. It may be ever so slightly milder than the v1. For me it is definitely worth upgrading from v1 to v2.

eric.

11 Shaves in with the same blade. I've noticed a slight degradation but it may have more to do with my prep and poor lather the last two days than anything else.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2018-8-19_16-48-24.png

I am considering this razor. That means the newer model: The O.R.E.N. Razor (linked here) not linked here because it occurred to me it's against the rules this being a Kickstarter link, but you can find it I hope.

It seems to me that it may be impossible right now to obtain this V2 razor, and that the only real option is to buy a V1 razor, but assuming I'm wrong about that I want to know about the O.R.E.N. razor. I'm not at all interested in buying the V1 razor with the OREN being available and improved.

Oops. Here's a link to where to currently buy the O.R.E.N. I've not explored the options for buying it, but they may negate some of my questions and conclusions as outlined below. If I have available editing time on this post I'll edit it.

Looks like the only current option is via the link above. Thus the option is to buy the new handle and all three of the heads. I haven't figured out the color options yet, and may still be making incorrect assumptions.

As I understand it (and please correct any of my misunderstandings) there are several things to know.
  • This newer version, a V2 if you will, is mostly a newer, improved handle; I'll buy that it's improved.
  • The newer handle (the OREN razor) is sold with no heads for folks having the V1 razor; that means the heads of the V1 razor fit the V2 razor (the OREN razor). This is not an option for me since I do not own the original V1 Occam's razor.
  • The V2 OREN razor is also sold with the new handle + your choice of one head.
  • The V2 OREN razor is sold too with the new handle + all three heads.
  • There are color choices to be made.
  • There are other options having to do with blades and such but they have nothing to do with the basic razor choice.
Assuming I have the basic understanding of the options down pat, I have some questions.

First, is this a great razor or what? I mean this new V2 OREN razor, is it a great razor?

I have several AC razors - the SS DLC Hawk might be my favorite + the SS Colonial General + the ATT SE2 and SE1 combo - and like them all. Is the OREN better in any way?

proxy.php

Second (or is it third?), what about the colors? Mostly I'm interested in either the classic or the black, and I want to know how the black holds up? Do the black and gold colors look like they will hold up?

upload_2018-8-19_16-43-28.png

Next, what about the heads? I have no idea whether I should buy one head or three and which one if I buy one. Any way to figure that out in advance without trying them all? Also, if you buy one head and want to try the others are there any options to do so?

I have a range of DE and injector razors. My favorite regular DE might be the Fatip Mk1 Grande. My favorite injector might be the Schick E-2 open to clean. My favorite slant might be the ATT S2. I am seeking a smooth shaving, comfortable and super efficient razor (like everyone else I suppose).

I suppose the choice of heads is an experiential choice, and I have no experience with this, but can I extrapolate from other experience? What makes one of this razor's heads more efficient or aggressive? Is it gap or blade exposure or what?

I tend to like a lot of blade exposure but not a lot of gap or guard span, if that helps.

I apologize for being so behind the curve and ignorant about this and having all these questions, and appreciate any help or corrections. I also assume my questions are not unique.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Jim, the Occam's Razor v2 (OREN razor) is available from Classic Shaving as shown in your link. It comes with all three caps (heads) so the user can decide for himself which one is best for their beard and shaving style. When it was a kickstarter project the backers could choose whether they wanted just the handle, one of the caps or all three caps prior to their backing the project. When the razor was delivered via Kickstarter, everyone actually received all three caps. The v2 corrects the two main shortcomings of the v1. By that I mean that the grip is much improved as is shaving beneath the nose. The razor uses the floating blade technique, and thus the blade rattles a bit. Some dislike the rattle the blade makes, but that is a byproduct of the floating blade design. I have the brushed stainless model, and can't speak for the longevity of the finish on the gold or black razor. It does come with a lifetime warranty, for what warranties are worth.

Personally, I think it is a great razor and highly recommend it.

eric.

Jim
I had the V1 and sold it because I couldn’t get comfortable with the handle and the deep guard which made it difficult to shave under my nose. V2 fixed both those issues, I got the Kickstarter version and liked the 3 dot but not enough to beat out my Cobra Classic or Asylum Rx so I sold it to a friend. I think it is a very clean and simple design that gives a very good shave for an SE at that price. I would compare it to what Karve and the Dart have done for DE the OREN is to SE.

View attachment 905966

I am considering this razor. That means the newer model: The O.R.E.N. Razor (linked here) not linked here because it occurred to me it's against the rules this being a Kickstarter link, but you can find it I hope.

It seems to me that it may be impossible right now to obtain this V2 razor, and that the only real option is to buy a V1 razor, but assuming I'm wrong about that I want to know about the O.R.E.N. razor. I'm not at all interested in buying the V1 razor with the OREN being available and improved.

Oops. Here's a link to where to currently buy the O.R.E.N. I've not explored the options for buying it, but they may negate some of my questions and conclusions as outlined below. If I have available editing time on this post I'll edit it.

Looks like the only current option is via the link above. Thus the option is to buy the new handle and all three of the heads. I haven't figured out the color options yet, and may still be making incorrect assumptions.

As I understand it (and please correct any of my misunderstandings) there are several things to know.
  • This newer version, a V2 if you will, is mostly a newer, improved handle; I'll buy that it's improved.
  • The newer handle (the OREN razor) is sold with no heads for folks having the V1 razor; that means the heads of the V1 razor fit the V2 razor (the OREN razor). This is not an option for me since I do not own the original V1 Occam's razor.
  • The V2 OREN razor is also sold with the new handle + your choice of one head.
  • The V2 OREN razor is sold too with the new handle + all three heads.
  • There are color choices to be made.
  • There are other options having to do with blades and such but they have nothing to do with the basic razor choice.
Assuming I have the basic understanding of the options down pat, I have some questions.

First, is this a great razor or what? I mean this new V2 OREN razor, is it a great razor?

I have several AC razors - the SS DLC Hawk might be my favorite + the SS Colonial General + the ATT SE2 and SE1 combo - and like them all. Is the OREN better in any way?

proxy.php

Second (or is it third?), what about the colors? Mostly I'm interested in either the classic or the black, and I want to know how the black holds up? Do the black and gold colors look like they will hold up?

View attachment 905961

Next, what about the heads? I have no idea whether I should buy one head or three and which one if I buy one. Any way to figure that out in advance without trying them all? Also, if you buy one head and want to try the others are there any options to do so?

I have a range of DE and injector razors. My favorite regular DE might be the Fatip Mk1 Grande. My favorite injector might be the Schick E-2 open to clean. My favorite slant might be the ATT S2. I am seeking a smooth shaving, comfortable and super efficient razor (like everyone else I suppose).

I suppose the choice of heads is an experiential choice, and I have no experience with this, but can I extrapolate from other experience? What makes one of this razor's heads more efficient or aggressive? Is it gap or blade exposure or what?

I tend to like a lot of blade exposure but not a lot of gap or guard span, if that helps.

I apologize for being so behind the curve and ignorant about this and having all these questions, and appreciate any help or corrections. I also assume my questions are not unique.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have V1, I don't like it. The handle is fine and shaving under my nose ATG is fine, the floating blade is the issue. It's not as precise as I need it to be, and therefore not as efficient as I need it to be.

I've been too lazy to put it on the BST. If you want to try it before I sell it, say the word!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, the Occam's Razor v2 (OREN razor) is available from Classic Shaving as shown in your link... Personally, I think it is a great razor and highly recommend it...eric.

I think it is a very clean and simple design that gives a very good shave for an SE at that price. I would compare it to what Karve and the Dart have done for DE the OREN is to SE.

I have V1, I don't like it. The handle is fine and shaving under my nose ATG is fine, the floating blade is the issue. It's not as precise as I need it to be, and therefore not as efficient as I need it to be.

I've been too lazy to put it on the BST. If you want to try it before I sell it, say the word!

Thank you, gentlemen.

Anthony, I'm not drawn to the V1, but appreciate the offer. I see how they've fixed the issues that many people had with the first version, but the floating blade is either a + or a - depending on how you see it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

As said earlier, the nose and handle issues have been fixed with v2. I have have used both versions and the handle never bothered me, but not being able to shave well under my nose did. I always used the second dot with v1 and never bothered to switch it out, but when I received v2 i have been trying all three heads and they do make a difference. the 1 dot is a mild shave, 2 medium and 3 aggressive. I've never nicked myself with the 1 or 2 dot, but I have to pay attention with the 3 dot. I didn't think there would be any difference, but the 3 dot is more aggressive and exposes more blade. I like the floating blade design because it provides extra play in the blade makes for a more forgiving shave. When I shave, I am able to add more pressure if needed and the flex takes the bite out of the blade that I always experienced when using it like a straight edge. Unfortunately, I can't compare it to another single edge razor.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As said earlier, the nose and handle issues have been fixed with v2. I have have used both versions and the handle never bothered me, but not being able to shave well under my nose did. I always used the second dot with v1 and never bothered to switch it out, but when I received v2 i have been trying all three heads and they do make a difference. the 1 dot is a mild shave, 2 medium and 3 aggressive. I've never nicked myself with the 1 or 2 dot, but I have to pay attention with the 3 dot. I didn't think there would be any difference, but the 3 dot is more aggressive and exposes more blade. I like the floating blade design because it provides extra play in the blade makes for a more forgiving shave. When I shave, I am able to add more pressure if needed and the flex takes the bite out of the blade that I always experienced when using it like a straight edge. Unfortunately, I can't compare it to another single edge razor.

Does anything besides blade exposure contribute to the increased aggressiveness of the 3 dot, as you see it?

Also do you mean the 3 dot is more efficient or more prone to bite or both?

Does anything besides blade exposure contribute to the increased aggressiveness of the 3 dot, as you see it?

Also do you mean the 3 dot is more efficient or more prone to bite or both?

I would say it is blade exposure. If you are wanting a more aggressive shave, the 3 dot would be the way to go. I like the 2 dot the best, so I can't say the 3 dot is more efficient. I would suggest buying one with all three heads simply because it gives you the opportunity to fine tune the razor.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I would say it is blade exposure. If you are wanting a more aggressive shave, the 3 dot would be the way to go. I like the 2 dot the best, so I can't say the 3 dot is more efficient. I would suggest buying one with all three heads simply because it gives you the opportunity to fine tune the razor.

Thanks. Apparently buying all three head is the only option.

... I like the floating blade design because it provides extra play in the blade makes for a more forgiving shave. When I shave, I am able to add more pressure if needed and the flex takes the bite out of the blade that I always experienced when using ....

I agree wholeheartedly with Laz's statement about the floating head design. I prefer a comfortable shave, and use the one dot so I really cannot comment on the two and three dot shaving experience. But even with the one dot I get a very close shave.

eric.

I found the improvements to the V1 were a huge improvement. The thinner guard and new handle resolved the issues they were meant to address.
I agree with though who don't like the floating blade. I use the 2 dot head and while I get a good shave it just doesn't last. The floating head doesn't allow for a deep enough shave so I end up with a 5 o'clock shadow around 3:30.

I've been using this with the Pro Guard blades for about a month now, and the last three weeks have been using the three dot head.

There's one spot, along the jawline that I have to buff. Other than that, the shaves are quick, efficient, smooth and no cuts. The blades are more expensive than standard DE blades, though.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I find almost no functional differences between the V1 & V2 and use both interchangeably.

I picked one up off the BST forums. I should receive it sometime by the end of this week. The V1 was fairly good but I ended up selling it due to its shortcomings. The V2 model looks to have addressed those issues.

Top Bottom