What's new

Forehead breaking out from shaving products

Here's what I do:
For preshave I wash my face in the shower with an all natural soap (Kirk's Castille) as it's easily attainable from the local WalMart, grocery or pharmacy. I like that it's inexpensive and doesn't contain all of the chemicals that other soaps do. I like that I don't have to pay shipping fees to get it. Yardley is another decent choice but the Kirk's I like better. I do wash my face and forehead while in the shower as well, even though I'm going to be using some shaving soap to shave with.

I use a quality shave soap like Grooming Dept, Tallow & Steel, Wholly Kaw, Declaration Grooming, Sudsy Soapery or PannaCrema. I choose these because the moisturizing properties are exceptional, especially with the Grooming Dept and Tallow & Steel soaps. Wholly Kaw is quite nice as well though.

Once done I apply some type of aftershave balm to my face and forehead. Usually something from Midnight & Two or the locally available Neutrogena post shave lotion that I can get for around six bucks. There are plenty of others that are really nice like L'Occitane Cade which I like a lot and reach for in the cooler months. The Art of Shaving ones are quite nice but a bit pricey. Captain's Choice, Soap Commander, Viking are all very usable and enjoyable as well. I don't really bother with splashes as I don't feel that they do all that much for my skin. I own several but usually apply them then follow them with a balm once they dry.

I used to use witchhazel, preshave oils and alum when starting out but with a good quality soap and aftershave these are items that I've found that I can easily skip without any negative impact to my skin. Plus I can't stand the smell of witchhazel. I don't feel that they add enough value. For me they just aren't needed and I save time by skipping them.

My skin is the best it's been since I was a newborn and the only thing that seems to make my face break out now is stress.

The advice to skip some products and add them back slowly is sound. Do purchase quality products when you buy something, keep it simple and know that quality doesn't always equate to something being more expensive.
I've r I've read this a couple of times to soak it in, thank you for the reply. and I think we've got some Yardley , and I like to keep it simple Theory. Or as they say the kiss principal
Here's what I do:
For preshave I wash my face in the shower with an all natural soap (Kirk's Castille) as it's easily attainable from the local WalMart, grocery or pharmacy. I like that it's inexpensive and doesn't contain all of the chemicals that other soaps do. I like that I don't have to pay shipping fees to get it. Yardley is another decent choice but the Kirk's I like better. I do wash my face and forehead while in the shower as well, even though I'm going to be using some shaving soap to shave with.

I use a quality shave soap like Grooming Dept, Tallow & Steel, Wholly Kaw, Declaration Grooming, Sudsy Soapery or PannaCrema. I choose these because the moisturizing properties are exceptional, especially with the Grooming Dept and Tallow & Steel soaps. Wholly Kaw is quite nice as well though.

Once done I apply some type of aftershave balm to my face and forehead. Usually something from Midnight & Two or the locally available Neutrogena post shave lotion that I can get for around six bucks. There are plenty of others that are really nice like L'Occitane Cade which I like a lot and reach for in the cooler months. The Art of Shaving ones are quite nice but a bit pricey. Captain's Choice, Soap Commander, Viking are all very usable and enjoyable as well. I don't really bother with splashes as I don't feel that they do all that much for my skin. I own several but usually apply them then follow them with a balm once they dry.

I used to use witchhazel, preshave oils and alum when starting out but with a good quality soap and aftershave these are items that I've found that I can easily skip without any negative impact to my skin. Plus I can't stand the smell of witchhazel. I don't feel that they add enough value. For me they just aren't needed and I save time by skipping them.

My skin is the best it's been since I was a newborn and the only thing that seems to make my face break out now is stress.

The advice to skip some products and add them back slowly is sound. Do purchase quality products when you buy something, keep it simple and know that quality doesn't always equate to something being more expensive.
thank you for the advice, there's a lot of good information you just said. I believe we have a couple bars of Yardley I have been using some, and the keep it simple sounds like the wise thing to do. I'll try to keep this thread updated

Okay, my dad has passed away, but as a dermatologist's son I have a few things I remember from him that keep coming up as questions. 1. You mentioned you're mid 50's, yet suffering from a teenage type dilemma. Are you on any hormone therapies? 2. Do you have any allergies? 3. As mentioned above, are you in a stressful situation?

As far as what you're using, if you have oily skin, the astringents (witch hazel and alcohol based splashes) should help with that. I'm assuming you are not shaving your forehead.
The thing is, everything seems to be the same except I started de shaving about 6 months ago and using the skin products (very softening on the facial skin) .It does seem like reaction/allergy type thing from applying to the face, not forhead. I just wash the forhead.
I'm still off all the post products, the facial skin isn't as soft feeling but forhead seems a bit dryer also.

This may seem like a strange question... I'm guessing that you are living somewhere in the Northern hemisphere and that it is currently summer. Have you started wearing a hat? Is it possible that perspiration from a hatband is causing this problem?

Otherwise it does seem unusual to me that you are not experiencing any breakouts in the areas which you shave. Washing your forehead with a good simple soap and treating with witch hazel should help.

This may seem like a strange question... I'm guessing that you are living somewhere in the Northern hemisphere and that it is currently summer. Have you started wearing a hat? Is it possible that perspiration from a hatband is causing this problem?

Otherwise it does seem unusual to me that you are not experiencing any breakouts in the areas which you shave. Washing your forehead with a good simple soap and treating with witch hazel should help.
Yes I wear a cap usually but have cut that down to about30% of what it was, you are right as that only adds to it. Yes lots of washing, I'm in the Ozarks in s.w. Missouri. USA . I forget we are from over the world on here , which is nice.

I'm using Yardley I think it's spelled, and Neutrogena soap to help cleanse it, drinking a gallon or more water a day

Surprisingly no one has mentioned this: This problem may be the result of something different with your scalp. Hair products often spread through the scalp to lower areas - especially oilier products (pomades, tonics, etc).

If you’ve changed anything in that arena recently that may caused your difficulties. Even conditioners can clog pores. Sometimes skin will just adjust to any of these things but other times they may need to be discontinued. Good luck!

Surprisingly no one has mentioned this: This problem may be the result of something different with your scalp. Hair products often spread through the scalp to lower areas - especially oilier products (pomades, tonics, etc).

If you’ve changed anything in that arena recently that may caused your difficulties. Even conditioners can clog pores. Sometimes skin will just adjust to any of these things but other times they may need to be discontinued. Good luck!
Hmm, nothing changed as far as shampoo , not much hair it's really short , so no conditioner to speak of. That's a good heads up though, ,(pun intended ).thanks

I doubt your forehead is suffering from shaving products. I have a oily forehead genetically and have to apply Nizoral shampoo once a week or so to keep it in check. Leave some on for a couple minutes and wash off.

I had to come up with this by searching the internet, the dermatologist was useless.

I doubt your forehead is suffering from shaving products. I have a oily forehead genetically and have to apply Nizoral shampoo once a week or so to keep it in check. Leave some on for a couple minutes and wash off.

I had to come up with this by searching the internet, the dermatologist was useless.
Could be something just changed in my body and started producing a lot more oil on my forehead. I recently started using Neutrogena acne soap a few times a day and it seems to help some. I'm back to using some Nivea, and Nivea post balm because it was needing some moisturize from the Shaving it, very ashy looking. Where do you get that shampoo?

This thread reminded me a lot of this one:

Just don't forget that what you put in your mouth probably has as much influence on skin than what you put on it.

in my case:

current heat wave = eating a lot more ice cream than usual

eating a lot of ice cream = zits​

This thread reminded me a lot of this one:

Just don't forget that what you put in your mouth probably has as much influence on skin than what you put on it.

in my case:

current heat wave = eating a lot more ice cream than usual

eating a lot of ice cream = zits​
Yes I looked over that thread it was a good one and I've been thinking about the food so I've been eati, pretty much the same diet, maybe a little bit more cucumber and tomato from the garden. I'm sitting here thinking so would a product used on your cheeks and shaving areas actually affect your forehead where none was applied? And that's why I was considering it was probably shaving products,hmm.

You can order Nizoral from ebay which is where I got it. I suppose a drug store would carry it. If I over do it, I get a dry scaly effect on my forehead. One small bottle will last you a year or more. A thin film applied to the effected area, forehead and washed off after a few minutes. The thicker the film, more frequent use, and the longer it is left on, the more it does.

You can order Nizoral from ebay which is where I got it. I suppose a drug store would carry it. If I over do it, I get a dry scaly effect on my forehead. One small bottle will last you a year or more. A thin film applied to the effected area, forehead and washed off after a few minutes. The thicker the film, more frequent use, and the longer it is left on, the more it does.
Ok thank you, I've started the cheap witch hazel with alcohol along with my Neutrogena acne soap. Try not to do too much but trying to do something. My skin was getting so dry and ask you from shaving look like a ghost when I finished haha so I'm back on the Nivea sensitive post-shave balm after shaving with wholly kaw donkey milk.

I started using the Neutrogena acne soap, it didn't seem like it helped much. So I got an acne cream, Neutrogena . I used the cream on one side of my forehead for a test it helped slightly, it was just to add three times a day. The last couple of days the acne is alot clearer,alot, like going away. Hmm, I'm wondering now if the apple cider vinegar in the cucumber salad mix is what's happening, because I haven't had it in a few day. Cucumbers from the garden are on the way out for the season that's why not of the apple cider vinegar in the last few days.

Top Bottom