What's new

Occam's razor.

I forgot to mention in my previous post the reason for the blade rattling in Occam's razor. The blade is free floating by design, and thus there is some audible blade rattling. This noise bothers some shavers while others accept it as part of the design.

eric

Mail was just delivered and no packages in my box. I guess I will not be receiving v2 before the Fourth of July. After being promised delivery in May and after being promised delivery in June, I must say that I am disappointed. I would be much happier if they would just update the shipping status on their kickstarter site. Communication can smooth over many issues with your supporters and/or customers.

Last edited:
Just received my OREN an hour ago!

It looks great, and feels good in the hand; well balanced and natural angle.

However, I had some "difficulty" loading the blade. Any advice out there? (Besides don't cut myself? :) ) I'll probably get it no problem with practice.

Also, I have never used this type of blade. It looks like the blades have a definite up and down? Is that correct?

Still waiting for mine. Classic has a video on there website to help with loading the blade. These blades are stiffer than DE blades use little to no pressure and let the blade do its work. The original gave a great shave except in tight spots because of the wide guard so I hope this one is a step up. Hope I get mine

Just received my OREN an hour ago!

It looks great, and feels good in the hand; well balanced and natural angle.

However, I had some "difficulty" loading the blade. Any advice out there? (Besides don't cut myself? :) ) I'll probably get it no problem with practice.

Also, I have never used this type of blade. It looks like the blades have a definite up and down? Is that correct?

I don't believe the blades have an up and a down side. At least I have never paid attention to it. I think I just slide the blade out of the cartridge and then insert it into the razor with my fingers on the side as if the cartridge was actually directly injecting the blade into the razor. I found it easier to load the blade using my fingers rather than the tool that comes with it. Review the video and then either use your fingers or the tool, whichever you find easiest. To me v1 provided a great shave although shaving under the nose was a challenge.

I am still waiting for v2. Hopefully it will be in today's mail.

eric.

Be careful with the blade and use your hand to slide it in. Insert it from the back of the razor and push it forward until it clicks in place. The blade will rattle a bit, but once it locks in, you will be fine. The loose blade won't affect your shave and I think it allows you to use a bit more pressure while shaving. After you insert the blade a few time, you won't have any problems.

Let us know how it shaves. We all should be getting our razors soon.

Well my Oren came in the mail today. I look forward to using it.

I noticed that the bevel on the inside of the hollow handle is sharp. Not cut yourself sharp but sharp none the less. Anyone else have this.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

oren edge.jpg

Last edited:
Well my Oren came in the mail today. I look forward to using it.

I noticed that the bevel on the inside of the hollow handle is sharp. Not cut yourself sharp but sharp none the less. Anyone else have this.

I just picked up my Oren to see if I could feel what you described. Yes, my razor feels the same way. I believe it is by design, and I certainly could not feel it during my first shave.

The grip was excellent in the shower.

I just picked up my Oren to see if I could feel what you described. Yes, my razor feels the same way. I believe it is by design, and I certainly could not feel it during my first shave.

The grip was excellent in the shower.
Thanks for the feed back. It just feels unfinished to me.

Just had my first shave with the OREN I loaded a Proline into the 2 dot head used the pre shave that I received with the razor and Sterling Rose soap. First the positives
1 The shorter guard made shaving under the nose much easier then the Occam
2 The handle was much easier to find a good grip as compared to the tongue depressor on the Occam. Mine also had what seem like unfinished edges on the inner bevel but I did not notice it during the shave
3 Very light and easy to maneuver with very little blade feel( this could be a negative for people who like a lot of blade feel)
4 Still very easy to load and unload the blade, and very easy to rinse
5 3 pass BBS with no nicks, cuts or irritation
Negatives
1 Blade still rattles even when in perfect position, It did not effect the shave
2 The screws used to change the heads still do not countersink or lay perfectly flat, again doesn’t effect the shave
I changed the head for the 3 dot to give it another spin tmw, it appears to significantly change the blade gap so I’ll be more careful tmw. I was able to use a little more pressure with the 2 dot than I would ever risk with my Cobra Classic or Rx. I must admit this is a very simple design for a razor and I really like the Occam but couldn’t live with the wide guard or the handle that I never felt like I had a good grip on. I am very happy that I bought this for its Kickstarter price, not sure what it will sell for.

Oren Razor.jpg
I got mine today as well. I left the no. 2 guard on the Occam and tried the no. 1 guard on the Oren. I did a quick one pass tonight one the head and face. The no. 1 guard provides a nice mild shave. and the residue is still simple to remove, even with less blade gap. I like the new handle (although I liked the old one as well). Couldn't shave under the nose because at the moment I have a mustache and goatee. For head shaving, both razors are great. I invested in the Oren to see if it would address the under the nose issues I had with the Occam. But I'll have to rely on the reviews of others until I take off the mustache.

Started with the 3 dot head and the same Proline from the first shave ( only one shave on it) and had to stop half way thru the 1st pass WTG. The shave was harsh and not removing much stubble. I checked the blade alignment and it looked good so I took the blade out, relathered and put it in my Cobra Classic. 3 pass BBS and the only irritation was wear I started with the 3 dot. I just put the 2 dot head back on. I used the 3 dot mainly with the original Occam but not sure what’s different but no 3 dot for me with the OREN.

I switched to the one dot plate.

First thing I noticed was the blade loaded just as it does in the video ... it did not impact and get hung up on the lower guard (as it did with the two dot). Second thing I noticed was the blade rattle that everyone has been talking about. The blade didn't rattle at all with the two dot plate I have.

Third thing I noticed was that the shave was much nicer for me with the one dot plate. :)

I'm liking this razor; it's not my favorite razor, but it is my favorite SE razor, beating the One Blade Core by a large margin.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Mine has arrived and I like the new handle. I have not noticed much difference in performance though.

I had my first shave with the OREN razor yesterday. Shaving under the nose is much easier. And the handle is also better. Luke has been successful on the two items he wished to improve. I will reserve judgement on the shave until I get a few more shaves under my belt. On my first shave I used the 1 dot.

eric.

I received mine and now have just over 10 shaves with it. I started with the #2 head and switched to the #3 head after 5 shaves with the Pro Guard blades.

I get a very good, close, comfortable, long lasting BBS shave with the razor and these blades. When I can go over 12 hours without stubble, let alone a hint of 5 O'Clock Shadow, that is a huge plus. It takes less time to shave as the wider blade covers more area, and the "clog pruf" design means fewer rinses. I'll post a more thorough review after more shaves.

Just wondering how many shaves you gents are getting from your blades before swapping them out?

I change blades every 2 weeks and I get somewhere between 7 to 10 shaves (plus 1 to 2 head shaves) per blade.

Top Bottom