What's new

The Nib Acquisitions 2018

C29F855E-B1D5-4420-ABE6-2B46BDA75F7C.jpeg

Sailor nibs are firm but likely the best nibs produced, tuned and sold in the world. The pen wrote perfectly right out of the little plastic bag it was in. Excellent flow, no pressure needed and tuned to allow multiple angles to work just fine.

It's only just been shipped, due to arrive the 25th, but a Waterman Laureat is on it's way to my pocket.

Years ago, when I graduated from The Art Institute of Seattle, this was the pen that I'd chosen for Graduation, in black with gold trim. My first real fountain pen. I loved that pen. (1993.) Over the following few years it got dropped a time or two, and had cracked the base of the barrel. Then I lost it, and was heartbroken for a long time. I've been kind of watching for a deal on one over the years, as they are no longer in production, and happened to time it just right for a steal on ebay - B.I.N., with a $15 coupon, total cost shipped $29.99. Black with gold, Medium nib, no visible damage or issues. Can't wait to have that pen in my collection again...

Pen3.jpg Pen2.jpg Pen5.jpg Pen4.jpg Pen1.jpg

Last edited:
I do IT work in a High School system and cover three schools myself. During the summertime, I normally spend one week at each school getting work done. Some of the teachers I get along with very well. A couple of teachers actually give me little gifts as a way of letting me know that appreciate what I do for them. One guy in particular we even swap homebrew and other spirits.

The school I was working at this week had water issues so I went to a different school. I went down to the mail room to clear my mailbox and toss the trash.I cleared out the junk mail and noticed a box in the back of my slot. I reached back, grabbed it and pulled it out. It was a smallish wrapped box with a pack of jumbo smarties taped to it. Since I just love smarties I knew exactly who it was from. So I go back to my office and open the box up. I unwrapped the box and noticed one end said "Cross 3506M". Now I started to get excited! I opened the box up and here is what greeted me....

0719181504_HDR.jpg

0719181504a_HDR.jpg

0719181505_HDR.jpg

I do IT work in a High School system and cover three schools myself. During the summertime, I normally spend one week at each school getting work done. Some of the teachers I get along with very well. A couple of teachers actually give me little gifts as a way of letting me know that appreciate what I do for them. One guy in particular we even swap homebrew and other spirits.

The school I was working at this week had water issues so I went to a different school. I went down to the mail room to clear my mailbox and toss the trash.I cleared out the junk mail and noticed a box in the back of my slot. I reached back, grabbed it and pulled it out. It was a smallish wrapped box with a pack of jumbo smarties taped to it. Since I just love smarties I knew exactly who it was from. So I go back to my office and open the box up. I unwrapped the box and noticed one end said "Cross 3506M". Now I started to get excited! I opened the box up and here is what greeted me....

View attachment 898604
View attachment 898605
View attachment 898606
Congratulations on your gift. I wish I had coworkers like that! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

View attachment 898604
View attachment 898605
View attachment 898606
Very nice! Cross fp's are very good pens in my experience. I keep a Cross Townsend inked on my work desk at home; it writes first time, every time.

0537D936-9214-46C9-BD5F-740D0AD6E168.jpeg 9879B2FD-783F-44C0-AC2B-0E03D2430EA7.jpeg My latest acquisition. The Wing Sung 626 in blue.
The pen is a Sheaffer Balance II clone and is slightly smaller than the original.
My nib is a fine two tone steel nib that writes smoothly with a true fine line ( whatever that is, right?). On the first fill, after flushing with soapy water, the ink flow is toward the wet side, but not overly wet. We will see how it writes after setting overnight. The cap does have an inner liner so I am hopeful.

The Wing Sung 626 did fine this morning. Wrote on the first stroke after I uncapped it and showed no sign of letting up. The jury is still out on this pen, but thus far I have no complaints.
I will update as I get more experience with the pen.

The Wing Sung 626 did fine this morning. Wrote on the first stroke after I uncapped it and showed no sign of letting up. The jury is still out on this pen, but thus far I have no complaints.
I will update as I get more experience with the pen.
Nice looking pen too! I am a sucker for those acrylics [emoji106]

The 626 is nicer looking than my photos, a deeper look to the material, reminiscent of vintage celluloid. If the pen turns out to have no major issues, I would like to get the green and red versions. The Sheaffer Balance was, in my opinion, the best of the vintage pens for all around performance, feel, and shape. These bright acrylics really are nice and the fit and finish of the pen is quite good. Even at $30, a good buy.

The 626 is nicer looking than my photos, a deeper look to the material, reminiscent of vintage celluloid. If the pen turns out to have no major issues, I would like to get the green and red versions. The Sheaffer Balance was, in my opinion, the best of the vintage pens for all around performance, feel, and shape. These bright acrylics really are nice and the fit and finish of the pen is quite good. Even at $30, a good buy.
I think I've read that you can get these with a 14k nib. Have you heard that? I wonder what the mark up is.

TWSBI ECO Demonstrator with 1.1 Stub nib and a Clairefontaine notebook (for my new bullet journal) just arrived from Goulet!

I have a non demonstrator Eco with a medium nib that has been a very frequently used pen for me, but I am starting to prefer broader nibs, so I picked this one up. LOVE it so far

I think I've read that you can get these with a 14k nib. Have you heard that? I wonder what the mark up is.

They are available with a 14k nib - the same .5mm width. It is a $53.00 upgrade, so a total of $82.98, including shipping. Not bad for a 14k nib. But, the only color available from the seller I used, is white - the rest are out of stock.
FWIW: the pen I inked on Saturday continues to write well today. Started writing as soon as I put nib to paper and does not skip. Still writing a nice medium to wet line with the fine nib.

They are available with a 14k nib - the same .5mm width. It is a $53.00 upgrade, so a total of $82.98, including shipping. Not bad for a 14k nib. But, the only color available from the seller I used, is white - the rest are out of stock.
FWIW: the pen I inked on Saturday continues to write well today. Started writing as soon as I put nib to paper and does not skip. Still writing a nice medium to wet line with the fine nib.
Good to know thanks...pretty good price for a good looking pen w/14k nib

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Found some pens at an estate sale.

Two of 'em here, some little Esterbrooks for restoration.
full

All of my adult life I have wanted a Mont Blanc pen. Today, my wife was at a garage sale and bought me a brand new Mont Blanc Starwalker. I have always wanted a fountain but this one is a ballpoint. Nonetheless, I think this is a great pen and knowing my other half, she got it for next to nothing.

Top Bottom