What's new

Identifying Tony Miller strop material

Hi folks, I hope everyone is doing great.

I recently scored another TM strop. I bought it second hand but unused. I have had 3 TM strops but have a difficult time identifying the leather.

I have a Notovan labeled Old No2. The 2" bridle was also labeled Old No2. The one I recently scored is labeled, you guessed it, Old No2.

It is my understanding Old No2 is the strop type. The leather being the same but being a choice cut if you will.

I've seen some of his strops labeled Horsehide. The Artisan Steer and Bridle on his website show pictures of being labeled Old No2.

So in short, does anyone know how to identify the leather type the strop is made from? The seller received it as a gift as does not know when it was purchased from TM.

As promised, hrrr are the pics. Definitely different than the Notovan. Notovan is thinner/darker and on the left in both pics.

Draw on Notovan is silky and almost magnetic. Draw on the faster and lighter. I am not sure if this is Bridle as I remember his Bridle leather glassier, in appearance and draw. I no longer have it so it's impossible to compare directly.

IMG_3543.JPG
IMG_3547.JPG

Tony has sold steerhide, notovan, Italian bridle and fast bridle I believe, anything labeled Heirloom is premium leather with no imperfections, the strop you purchased may have been treated with something like neatsfoots oil or similar strop conditioner which will affect color and draw.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
The one on thecright is my Fast Bridle leather with matching caps. The Notovan on the left is probably a few years old as it had dark brown bridle caps rather than the newer Fast Bridle caps.
As mentioned I have used latigo, bridle, horsehide, my Notovan horsehide, steerhide and Fast Bridle and a synthetic Vegan friendly material. Right now I have a bovine version of my Notovan in the works as well as my take on the heavy draw Illinois #127 but with a more "tame" surface.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

The one on thecright is my Fast Bridle leather with matching caps. The Notovan on the left is probably a few years old as it had dark brown bridle caps rather than the newer Fast Bridle caps.
As mentioned I have used latigo, bridle, horsehide, my Notovan horsehide, steerhide and Fast Bridle and a synthetic Vegan friendly material. Right now I have a bovine version of my Notovan in the works as well as my take on the heavy draw Illinois #127 but with a more "tame" surface.

Thanks Tony. So there are three different leathers represented in my two strops? Perhaps the one I sold was a Bridle and not a Fast Bridle as it does have that glossier finish.

Are these strops readily avaible for sale, or are your uncommon leather mostly special order? Say if I wanted a Horsehide or Spanish Bridle. Is there a location where these leathers are described?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
The bridle was a deeper brown, almost Hershey bar color but there was a short Honey Brown run once. The Spanish bridle was in very short supply as I only had one hide available.
I only use materials I can source in person so availability varioes month to month. The only online description would be for currently available stick on my website but feel free to email me if you have questions about anything. Thanks

The bridle was a deeper brown, almost Hershey bar color but there was a short Honey Brown run once. The Spanish bridle was in very short supply as I only had one hide available.
I only use materials I can source in person so availability varioes month to month. The only online description would be for currently available stick on my website but feel free to email me if you have questions about anything. Thanks

Thanks again. I love the feel of these two. I will have to start saving my pennies for another one soon. :001_smile

Top Bottom