What's new

First SR shave

Shave #133:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Pro blade (9), RR GC, Astra SP blade (4), RR Big Bruce, Catie’s Bubbles: Un Jour Gris, and Fine Platinum to finish.

Boy am I beat this morning! I knew I had to get up early for church, so last night I laid everything out for this morning. I debated bringing in the Feather AC, just because I knew I’d need a good, mostly mindless shave. I did it anyway though, just for the first pass.

I chose Catie’s Un Jour Gris today, just because the smell has kind of grown on me a bit. It’s a very hard soap, but the scent is fresh with a touch of grey. The first time I used it the lather didn’t come out super good, but today it came out great! I bloomed it lightly and loaded as heavily as I could for about 30 seconds. Given the hardness of the soap, I still had barely enough for my 3 passes and lather soak. This soap is hard! The lather was good in most catergories though. The place it excelled most was likely slickness. The place it was probably lacking some was cushion/protectiveness; it felt thick, but for some reason I did not feel the cushion when the blades were actually on my skin. Still a good soap however.

So first pass with the Feather went off just fine. Maybe a tad bit less reduction on the chin than normal...I’ll chalk that up to my mental/physical state today.

The XTG and ATG passes were done with the RR GC. It’s not exactly a mindless shave, you do have to pay a little attention or you will likely not get good results. It is an almost effortless shave though as long as you are paying attention to your angle. Easy 100% BBS with only a couple spots of touch up.

Church this morning, water the garden, BBQ late afternoon, and chill evening. Have a great Sunday all!

Open blade shave #134:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Pro blade (10), RR GC, Astra SP blade (5), RR Big Bruce, TOBS Sandalwood, and homemade Brut AS decant.

Lots going on today for a day off. The youngest is in a AIA basketball camp for a week, which started this morning. Yard work had to be done, laundry is getting done, I have a Chaplain visitation to do in a little while, etc. Quite the day!

I did make some time to clean up before I head out to my visitation. I did the usual 3 pass and got back to work on the TOBS. First 2 passes were the Feather, no hassle. Smooth as butter final pass with the GC. I feel nice an freshened on this hot day!

A great positive note was the afternoon’s mail call from KJ!

C752FA81-A773-4ACB-8C5C-DEE14E73570B.jpeg

Happy Monday all!

Shave #135:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Pro blade (11), RR GC, Astra SP blade (6), RR Big Bruce, TOBS Sandalwood, and RR The Stallion.

Typical shave today, 2 passes with the Feather and final pass with the RR GC. Sorry, I know this 3017 is getting boooooringggg!

3F925995-3C1E-4C47-B0FF-A0BA22D0DFD0.gif

I’ve noticed that I’ve really settled into a routine now with my SR/shavette use. My passes are almost always the same except a few minor variances, often evidenced by the amount of reduction or lack of it.

Overall a good shave today. A little bit of irritation on the sides of the upper lip; along with under the chin, those are the areas I have the hardest time getting BBS.

In other things, I head back to work today. I’m mostly recuperated from the last stretch, still a bit body-tired. The basketball camp my youngest is at is happening all week throughout most of the day, though he’s at an earlier time slot, but that will provide some entertainment! Kids learning sports are always a hilarious occurrence.

Also, my jury duty was postponed yesterday, which was kind of a relief with everything I needed to do. Today I have to recheck though, so we’ll see if the hammer falls or not!

The visitation went well yesterday. Can’t really go into details of course, but the gentleman and his wife were pleased for the visit and being attended to by a representative of the church. It’s always a bit strange trying to engage in conversation and care with a person you are just meeting but who is laid up in a hospital or in need of guidance for something or other. It is very rewarding however, I enjoy doing it!

Hope your Tuesday is treating you well!

Open blade shave #136:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Pro blade (12), RR GC, Astra SP (7), RR Big Bruce, Sandalwood Creeper (TOBS Sandalwood + Proraso Green), and homemade Brut AS decant to finish.

Not a huge update today, I spent most of my time on making a video.

The shave was inspired by watching some shaves and reviews of Tangerine Creeper by Holy Black. I don’t go for those things, but I can still do a poor man’s version! The Sandalwood Creeper (TOBS Sandalwood + Proraso Green) super lather was a success in my book, just needs some refinement. It was quite thick today. The shave went very well, final result is BBS. There was one nick, caught on camera, but it took care of itself by the end of the shave.

I attempted to showcase some different strokes in the video, but it was rather haphazard probably. I’ll definitely have to try a more thorough approach a different time.

I can’t post the videos here, but if you are curious, don’t hesitate to ask.

Another hot day today, over 100. Work should be easy today, but I’m not looking forward to the heat all the same.

Shaping up to be a busy week for the last half. The missus takes off for the annual Mary Kay convention in TX tomorrow, the father-in-law’s annual hula competition we help with is this weekend, I have to take care of the kids of course, plus working through Saturday...no rest for the weary!

Happy hump day though!

Shave #136:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Pro blade (13), RR GC, Astra SP (8), RR Big Bruce, TOBS Sandalwood, and CC Venture to finish.

Today starts the time crunch, so I’ll likely be keeping the entries short for the next few days.

I got up early this morning, did a quick 3 pass after my shower. I had a moderate bit of irritation in my care spots. I think I’m going to try experimenting with a modified ATG final pass with my DE, to help offset some of my chasing. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not the razor choices and not the blades (though they are reaching the ends of their edge life), it’s just that not much can help when you chase as often as I do. Some days the irritation happens, other times it doesn’t.

The shave was great in all, besides that.

We ran some errands, then the kids and I dropped the missus off at the airport. Headed back home for a little while to sit for a bit, then it the push back out the door to get them to their grandma who is helping at the hula festival, and I’m off to work!

Its my Wednesday, but happy Thursday to you!

Shave #136:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Pro blade (13), RR GC, Astra SP (8), RR Big Bruce, TOBS Sandalwood, and CC Venture to finish.

Today starts the time crunch, so I’ll likely be keeping the entries short for the next few days.

I got up early this morning, did a quick 3 pass after my shower. I had a moderate bit of irritation in my care spots. I think I’m going to try experimenting with a modified ATG final pass with my DE, to help offset some of my chasing. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not the razor choices and not the blades (though they are reaching the ends of their edge life), it’s just that not much can help when you chase as often as I do. Some days the irritation happens, other times it doesn’t.

The shave was great in all, besides that.

We ran some errands, then the kids and I dropped the missus off at the airport. Headed back home for a little while to sit for a bit, then it the push back out the door to get them to their grandma who is helping at the hula festival, and I’m off to work!

Its my Wednesday, but happy Thursday to you!

How are you finding the time-sensitive shaves? Are you shaving faster now that you are past the #100 Mark?

I have got all out of sync for the last week. I had serious irritation for the first time ever from an AC blade last week. The following day I had a DE shave which I thought would be a gentler approach but on the contrary, it made things worse. For five days straight all I could use were vintage Sheffield straight razors and my routine was completely knocked out as I was shaving in the mornings, with very little time. I reverted to single XTG pass right handed shaves like I used to when I was younger.

My skin is nuts. Keep everything the same day in day out and then suddenly it flares up without warning and everything that worked for the last 18 months causes discomfort.

I am back on track now but tomorrow I am traveling for a week and unsure what shaving gear to pack. Not sure I can be bothered with the straight razor paraphernalia but shall I shall I take Artists Club or DE?

Shall I try @GearNoir style? 2 passes AC, final pass DE? (Really close BBS helps reduce skin irritation for me).

How are you finding the time-sensitive shaves? Are you shaving faster now that you are past the #100 Mark?

I have got all out of sync for the last week. I had serious irritation for the first time ever from an AC blade last week. The following day I had a DE shave which I thought would be a gentler approach but on the contrary, it made things worse. For five days straight all I could use were vintage Sheffield straight razors and my routine was completely knocked out as I was shaving in the mornings, with very little time. I reverted to single XTG pass right handed shaves like I used to when I was younger.

My skin is nuts. Keep everything the same day in day out and then suddenly it flares up without warning and everything that worked for the last 18 months causes discomfort.

I am back on track now but tomorrow I am traveling for a week and unsure what shaving gear to pack. Not sure I can be bothered with the straight razor paraphernalia but shall I shall I take Artists Club or DE?

Shall I try @GearNoir style? 2 passes AC, final pass DE? (Really close BBS helps reduce skin irritation for me).

I’m hanging comfortably at 15-20 minutes per shave. I try not to rush too often, no reason to tempt Mr. Murphy! The major difference is confidence in strokes I think; I don’t have to reset as much, waiver on an approach, or slow down too much in my care areas.

Switching back to the DE for the final pass is enjoyable, but I’m finding that my reduction with the Feather is suffering from what I was getting when I did 100% Feather/SR shaves daily. I’m not at the point yet where I can just switch something for a while and expect the same level of skill to stick around.

Have a safe trip! I’m one that says stick as close to your home routine as possible for the enjoyment. I bring both the Feather and a DE. I don’t fly often though, so if you’re flying and going into a crazy work situation I might not bring my good stuff.

Shave #137:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Pro blade (14), RR GC, Astra SP blade (9), RR Big Bruce, TOBS Sandalwood, and of course cut Clubman decant to close on this sweaty Friday!

Good shave today. Got up early before the kids so I could have some quiet. I’m a bit tired as I got to bed late and didn’t sleep well (usually happens when the missus is gone).

Normal 3 pass today, 2 with the Feather and final with the GC. I tried to slow down just a tad to start getting back on track with reduction with the Feather. I also did not go true ATG in my care areas, instead I did some skin stretching (which I normally don’t do with the DE) and used a hybrid ATG/XTG stroke. In all it worked out just fine being mostly BBS but almost zero irritation, which was the main goal today.

Taking the kids to the hula festival and their grandma a little early so I can enjoy it some before work.

Enjoy your Friday folks!

Open blade shave #138:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Pro blade (15), RR Game Changer, Astra SP blade (10), RR Big Bruce synth, TOBS Sandalwood, and CC Venture to close.

Another quick entry today as I head out early.

Great, easy shave for a bleary morning. Typical 2 passes with the Feather and final pass with a bit of cleanup with the GC. Still practicing with the modified ATG pass. Irritation is very minimal today. Skin is a bit extra dried out for some reason, so I applied a bit of moisturizer.

Today is my Friday and boy am I ready! Still going to be busy after work, but at least it’ll be more of a fun-busy. The missus reported in yesterday evening and is having a fun time, despite the TX heat wave. Looking forward to her return in a couple days.

Have a great Saturday all!

Travel shave:

21B42FF9-9DC2-41EA-B769-B4C964BF74DA.jpeg

Gear: RR Baby Smooth, Astra SP blade (11), AOS Genuine Badger brush, La Toja shave stick, Fine Platinum AS, and MK Cityscape to finish.

Was a bit of an adjustment going back to a badger. And the brush was a little scrubby from disuse. 3 passes with the RR BS. Overall good shave, I’m a bit under the weather though. Between work and running around, my sinuses are going haywire. Hopefully it’s just a one day thing.

Happy Sunday all!

Travel Shave:

Simply a repeat of yesterday’s, though I am able to smell an enjoy it today! Feeling a little bit better after some rest, I think the body was just overly tired.

The brush was a tad less scrubby today, but I’m going to have to soak and clean all of stored ones I guess when I get home later.

Packing things up, going to have s final breakfast with the extended family, then it’s back home for some chores. The missus should be back to, landing at the local airport this evening!

Back to life!

Happy Monday!

Open blade shave #139:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Pro blade (16), RR Game Changer, Astra SP blade (13), BS Synthetic brush, TOBS Sandalwood, and RR The Stallion to finish.

Back to the 3017 today and back to the home den. Prep was a nice refreshing, cleansing shower. I’m still pretty tired, but if I can push though this week, I’ll have some time off next week.

It was nice to have the Feather and GC back in use. The shave was good, just one small weeper on a care area. This week will be simply working down the TOBS further and trying to solidify what brush I want to take with me in my kit for next week.

Today I put the dreaded Body Shop synthetic up to bat. It did it’s work, it’s ultra cheap, and I wouldn’t mind losing it, but it is on the worst end of scrubby and splay, and it’s the only brush I have that flings lather everywhere. Its still a contender at this point, but I’m not sure if I could deal with it’s “qualities” for too long.

I’m going to stretch out use of the blades I have loaded up so I can start fresh next week.

Ive said next week like 4 times or something now...I guess that about sums up how this week is going to be. It’s all pointed and geared toward next week! Lol!

Happy Tuesday folks!

Shave #140:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Pro blade (17), RR Game Changer, Astra SP blade (14), AOS Genuine Badger, TOBS Sandalwood, and homemade Brut AS decant to close.

Good shave today! I tried to go more for comfort than chase. I ended up with BBS in all except 3 little patches in my care areas, which are just on the boarder of BBS/DFS. I only had a couple strokes that felt they scraped from a bad angle, but no blood loss thankfully!

I went back on my Feather XTG pass to a nose-to-back-of-jaw stroke just for this shave, to see if the reduction was any better. I don’t think it made any more headway than my back-of-jaw-to-nose stroke. It is harder to round the back of the jaw though with a proper angle. So, I don’t think I’ll use that stroke any more.

Today the AOS badger was back on duty. Honestly it wouldn’t be that bad of a brush if it weren’t for a tiny tuft of ultra wirey, scrubby hairs right in the middle of the knot somewhere. I only feel them when they’re on my face and I’m splaying the knot. I can’t feel them by hand or with painting strokes. They feel like a Brillo pad in comparison to the rest of the hairs. The brush did perform much better than the BS synth though; no flinging, held plenty of lather, and still felt better on the face, so it takes the lead for travel brush pick.

Looking forward to my mail call today! I hope it arrives before work.

Today will be a slow shift, not a lot going on. At least I’ll get to stay inside more. We have a stretch of days through the week that are over 100 and it’s a tad muggy.

Happy Wednesday all!

Shave #141:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Pro blade (18), RR Game Changer, Astra SP blade (15), RV Shavemac D01 Silvertip, TOBS Sandalwood, and RR The Stallion to close.

Today was a shave video day!

Suffice to say, the shave went fine, testing out some new to me brushes, a little bit of lather issues, all was right in the end though!

Top Bottom