What's new

Cella Compendium/Compilation Thread

I have:

A brick of Cella.
A brick of P.160.
AND a brick of Vitos.

I think I will be fine for a little while longer.

proxy.php

It's the bit I put into a tub that is starting to age on me

proxy.php

Good man! You should be set for awhile!! :a29:

Just a couple thoughts to add:

Cella is scented with sweet-almond-oil, which has been used in cosmetics and foods for a long time. It's used to scent Jurgen's lotion, and processors of sweets have sold it as "cherry flavor." We consumers have made this mental association for so long that we say Cella has a cherry/almond scent, but the "cherry" part is just that marketing.

When I load my wet brush directly from the tub, I put the cap right back on after use, and the small amount of added water just keeps it soft and moist with no mildew or deterioration. One time I left the cap off and let it dry for 24 hours and it got hard and yellow. I learned that croap isn't soap.

Oh, and I can't get myself to throw away the little red box the tub came in. The package design is beautiful.

Been living it up with Stirling's Naked and Smooth as of late and felt like I had been cheating on my Cella, lol. Had a wonderful shave with Cella tonight and honestly I think this fine Italian Soft Soap is on par with Stirling.

Been living it up with Stirling's Naked and Smooth as of late and felt like I had been cheating on my Cella, lol. Had a wonderful shave with Cella tonight and honestly I think this fine Italian Soft Soap is on par with Stirling.

I found Cella to definitely be up there with some of the best modern soaps as well.

Back to my trusted Cella tonight for my Sunday night shave. Another exquisite shave and I often find myself wondering why I even use anything else. Super slick and easily mowed through 3 days of growth. Not a nick in sight and I'm left with nothing but buttery smooth skin.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I haven’t used it in a few years but I must have liked it because I used the entire tub. I have a new tub arriving Monday and look forward to it. I had been very satisfied with basic soaps, Arko and Williams primarily, but since I began using a straight razor exclusively, soap quality has become more critical, slick wet lathers being necessary. The two soaps I’m using now are Proraso Red and Schafmilch. Once I add Cella, those will likely be the only three soaps I will use on a regular basis. Really looking forward to the Monday mail! I also want to try the aftershave.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ah, Cella. :001_wub:

View attachment 880400
For me, Italy hasn't created a finer soap than Cella Extra Extra Purissima - The rich, almond/marzipan scented, luxurious lather that offers immense protection, slickness, and an all-around world class shave at a low cost. Cella can easily hold its own against some of the top performing artisan soaps on the market today. There is a reason this has been around and almost unchanged since 1899 - It just works and does its job superbly. This should be a staple in all shave dens.

I just had my third kilo delivered the other day and with a few exceptions, Cella is usually the soap I use exclusively now. It is sudsy perfection for my face. I know it isn't the most popular soap in the wet shaving world, as there are new artisans putting out soaps with top tier, natural ingredients near daily, but for some reason, I get my best shaves with Cella. I can really dial it in with my Omega Pro 49 and copious amounts of water to produce one of the best lathers I've ever had the pleasure of using. Whenever I break from using it to try another soap - I always end up returning to my Italian love wondering why I ever tried something else to begin with.

Didn't mean to ramble too much, but I felt like there should be a collection of Cella related shaving questions and comments that all could go into one thread.

You tried Cella for the first time - Loved or Hated It? Let us know!
Had a fantastic shave with Cella? Tell us about it!
Lucius lather pics? Share 'em!
Questions/Comments of all types related to Cella? Ask away!
After reading this excellent thread, I did some quick calculations and determined that Cella by the brick is less expensive than Williams. Now I couldn’t find a price for
Williams purchased by the kilo but bulk none the less. It came out that Cella came out to $.03/gram and Williams at $.04/gram. Now, the quantities affect the price but any way you cut it, Cella and Williams will be competitive. Which one would you choose? I was an English major so feel free to check my math - I could be wrong.

After reading this excellent thread, I did some quick calculations and determined that Cella by the brick is less expensive than Williams. Now I couldn’t find a price for
Williams purchased by the kilo but bulk none the less. It came out that Cella came out to $.03/gram and Williams at $.04/gram. Now, the quantities affect the price but any way you cut it, Cella and Williams will be competitive. Which one would you choose? I was an English major so feel free to check my math - I could be wrong.

I’ve never used Williams but the likelihood that it is equal to or better than Cella are slim, only because I and many others consider Cella to be a top tier soap. So, the likelihood is greater that Williams is not as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve never used Williams but the likelihood that it is equal to or better than Cella are slim, only because I and many others consider Cella to be a top tier soap. So, the likelihood is greater that Williams is not as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not even close but Williams and Arko are well known basic economy soaps and I thought it astounding that one of the worlds truly outstanding soaps, Cella, could actually be cheaper. There is absolutely no excuse for not having Cella! After my tub is finished, I’m buying a kilo.

Not even close but Williams and Arko are well known basic economy soaps and I thought it astounding that one of the worlds truly outstanding soaps, Cella, could actually be cheaper. There is absolutely no excuse for not having Cella! After my tub is finished, I’m buying a kilo.
I have two tubs (second tub came as part of a soap lot) but I'm considering just getting a kilo of Cella once I finish those up, and just using Cella for all of my shaves.

Running the numbers on a 24 pack of Williams vs 1 kg Cella using Amazon with Prime (so free shipping):

1000 g Cella=$34.99= $0.0349 per gram
24 pack of 1.75 oz Williams = $36.06. 42 ounces (24x1.75) of Williams = 1190.68 grams = $0.030 per gram.

So Cella is a half cent more expensive per gram, but not by a lot. This would be subject to change based on current price, shipping, and other factors. I'll pay the extra 2-3 cents per shave for the Cella personally.

Last edited:
I recently saw a You Tube video of a guy showing how you can get a good lather from Williams. But it took him nine minutes to whip it up. I think I'll pass on that one.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I recently saw a You Tube video of a guy showing how you can get a good lather from Williams. But it took him nine minutes to whip it up. I think I'll pass on that one.
I can lather Williams just fine and while it is a competent shaving soap, it isn’t even close to the quality of Cella. I’m going to use the rest of my Williams I’m the shower I guess.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have two tubs (second tub came as part of a soap lot) but I'm considering just getting a kilo of Cella once I finish those up, and just using Cella for all of my shaves.

Running the numbers on a 24 pack of Williams vs 1 kg Cella using Amazon with Prime (so free shipping):

1000 g Cella=$34.99= $0.0349 per gram
24 pack of 1.75 oz Williams = $36.06. 42 ounces (24x1.75) of Williams = 1190.68 grams = $0.030 per gram.

So Cella is a half cent more expensive per gram, but not by a lot. This would be subject to change based on current price, shipping, and other factors. I'll pay the extra 2-3 cents per shave for the Cella personally.
I think I’ll go the extra half cent!

My very first no-cartridge DE wet shave was with Cella.

That evening shave is seared into my head. Whiffing in that pronounced almond scent.. freshly showered, standing over the sink with the brand new EJDE89L loaded with a fresh Derby Blade, excitement and caution in the air, a bowl brimming with carefully produced lather, and then...brushing the soap around on my face and throat.....putting the razor up to my wet and lathered cheek for that first wtg pass.....ah....the point of no return happened at that moment....Love it. I still get a little goose-bumpy recollecting it.

I pick up my Cella tub often. You said it perfectly. It really is a stellar soap.

And for me there is without question an olfactory link that stirs recollections of the excitement and trepidation i felt during that first shave every time I smell that familiar almond scent.

Thank you Italy!

Oh, and I can't get myself to throw away the little red box the tub came in. The package design is beautiful.

Me either! Makes a curious Christmas decoration. I love that smiling ‘Father Christmas’ man greeting me in my bathroom. Great packaging.

Haha, I thought I might have been the only one. Their packaging with that smiling, lathered up, happy guy is just so comforting and pleasant to look at. It really adds to the charm and the overall sentimental appeal for me. I still have my first kilo box saved and flattened and I was thinking about cutting the front off, mounting it on a matte board, and popping into a cheap frame to hang on my bathroom wall. Didn't know if that would be too far, lol.

Top Bottom