What's new

Laughter is contagious

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I...I...fow...fow...found a new jaw...jaw...job today.

Who among you can watch this without laughing?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
When I play the card game UNO with my wife and Dad with a few glasses of wine it means we are going to laugh so hard we'll all be sore in the morning. I mean laughing so hard that no sound comes out.
roflmao.gif

Dad and I would watch the Dean Martín Roasts when they originally aired in the early 70’s, and during the opening introductions of who was on the dais for that episode if Don Rickles or Foster Brooks (Boster Frooks, as Dad called him) were scheduled to appear, Dad would slap his hands together and rub them gleefully saying, “Oh, this’ll be a good one”.
Today when I go down that YouTube rabbit hole and waste a few hours watching clips from the Roasts or Carson, I always remember Dad’s, “Oh, this’ll be a good one”...just as I did watching that clip posted by simon1.
Looking back at Brooks and Rickles’ appearances on the Roasts, it’s obvious why these two performers stood out from all the rest of the “roasters”. The majority of the material was written by staff writers (much as they are for the somewhat inferior Comedy Central roasts). Can you imagine a staff writer back then actually trying to write a script for Brooks or Rickles? It would be more like, “You’ve got five minutes Don/Foster...do your thing”.

Last edited:

Here's Foster Brooks roasting Don Rickles. At about 5:05 Rickles is just laughing hysterically. I've watched a lot of Rickles and never seen him just cracking up like this. These roasts were the greatest.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Here's Foster Brooks roasting Don Rickles. At about 5:05 Rickles is just laughing hysterically. I've watched a lot of Rickles and never seen him just cracking up like this. These roasts were the greatest.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don Rickles is a classic...he worked right up until he passed; my step-daughter saw one of his last performances. She came up here a day or so after he passed and I told her about it, and she said "I just saw him!"

I would post the youtube video of Rickles Gets Revenge...parts 1 and 2...but it would probably get the whole thread deleted these days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom