What's new

What antivirus are you using?

My subscription to Avira is coming up for renewal, and I was wondering what antivirus you were using...

Thanks in advance,
Duggo

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I spring for the extra few bucks for the Hillary Clinton brand, but the generics work just as well.

proxy.php

How much of a resources hog, is it? I know it always scores well in the AV Tests that I've found online.

Well played, ouch.

Thanks in advance,

Duggo

Currently using Norton, but I usually flip-flop between Kaspersky & Norton every few years. What really annoys me about both is their auto-renewal at twice the price of buying brand new. When close to the renewal date, one needs to make sure auto renewal is not on.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I got Norton free from the cable company. I don’t USE it though. It’s just there. I have no idea if it’s working or not.

I have been using Norton Security for a few years now. It covers all of the computers in our house and I have had good luck with their customer service when somehow my wife downloaded the Ask toolbar and search engine and could not get rid of it.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Currently using Norton, but I usually flip-flop between Kaspersky & Norton every few years. What really annoys me about both is their auto-renewal at twice the price of buying brand new. When close to the renewal date, one needs to make sure auto renewal is not on.
Brian:
You know what? That happened to me this year (just checked again...my 'Auto Renewal' is Off); :a31:

proxy.php
"The Internet has always been, and always will be...a magic box". Marc Andreessen

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My subscription to Avira is coming up for renewal, and I was wondering what antivirus you were using...

Thanks in advance,
Duggo

I've used them all at one time or another. I used eSET NOD32 the longest. Testing it against many others it also caught more and used less resources. F-Secure is another good one.

MalewareBytes is good. ADWCleaner is from MalwareBytes and is free to use, auto updates and only runs when you double click it from your desktop. Thats all I use and I might run it once a month.

HiJackThis is a powerful tool but more for the advanced user, its free as well. Also from TrendMicro is Housecall. Another free and very useful tool.

Eset Internet Security and Malwarebytes Premium. Very low resource usage and they work well together. I've tried many and for my system, these work the best. Both also have very good forums that can usually solve any issues you have.

I typically install a free antivirus (360 safe) on all the extended family's and friend's computers. Since I started doing that, I don't get near the calls for assistance like I used to.

The main one I use, 360 safe, doesn't nag like avast since it teamed up with avg and it's way, way better than what microsoft security essentials has become. MS has pretty much just left that software by the wayside while they put all their attention on windows defender.

Free antivirus doesn't mean it sucks, they are just as good as the paid versions. For free antivirus solutions, I would take a look at 360safe, avira free, or avast free.

Links:

The built-in Windows Defender with the latest build of W10 has come a long way. It's really all you need these days. I was always concerned about using MSE/WD in the past and therefore was willing pay for a subscription. The issue I had with third-party security is that they often appeared to cause some of form of instability with W10 at one stage or another. Once you uninstall Avira, Windows should automatically detect that you have no protection and it should install/enable Windows Defender (was a PITA when this first happened to me, but I also found it to be a blessing in disguise). You can always install an additional free on-demand scanner such as MBAM, which might provide you with a little more peace-of-mind when you're scanning your system. The best form of security will always be what's between your ears.

Avira for now. I've used Symantec twice at home and have been burned twice. The first instance they were happily taking my money for definitions even though they no longer supported my version. In the second, it hosed one of the kid's computer twice and I finally uninstalled it and went with AVG on that one. We do use Symantec at work and there have been occasional issues, but it's not my headache.

I've used Avast! but fell out with them because they blacklisted the company website and repeated attempts to contact them did no good. Figured if they couldn't maintain it better than that, they weren't worth it. At the moment I can't recall why I went from AVG to Avira, so it must not have been major. I used Avira because that's what we used as a fall-back in one of those episodes where we had Symantec issues at work (see not my headache above).

No nothing about Windows Defender. The Windows 98 version was "Eh," and that's the only reason I haven't used it.

Friend, let me tell you about Linux. I may have a tract or two...

LOL, I was UNIX/Linux admin for years. What flavour are you using? I've used a ton of distros but currently have Mint. I don't use it a lot though because I'm not that heavy of a user anymore.

The last I used was Linux Mint, but can't recall if it was Cinnamon or Mate. It was 32 bit on a very old machine running XP. Had it on a second hard drive and would boot from it, until that drive failed. I was going to make a Linux Emergency Computer on a USB drive, but never did. Still think about doing that, but while tinkering with distros on DVD, nearly had my computer fail to boot after changing BIOS settings back to the original. That shouldn't have happened, but it did.

These days, it tends to be a DVD of Puppy Linux when I need to do an emergency backup of a machine.

Top Bottom