What's new

Razorock SLOC with a twist.....

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
20180325_105853_crop_432x432.jpg
I made a baby Frakenrazor by adding one shim to the bottom of primary blade and this makes it have just barely have positive blade exposure from my testing and getting some very nice results if you fellows are still experimenting. At least you will not have to buy any new base plates that don't exist:idea::thumbup:.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hello Jim, I'm thinking of buying another one(SLOC Head if possible) down the road just in case I drop or lose it travelling. I have been using 1 shim under the blade which makes it positive blade exposure from my testing for the last two shaves and results were also very good. The Nacet blade had 4 shaves previous and was showing signs of peaking so I popped a shim in to see how the blade would react and gave 95%BBS#5 shave and a DFS>bbs #6 shave . The razor is just great and I have other nice razors but the SLOC is just a pleasure to use so it gets used a lot lately.
Looks like you guys are into Frankenstein razors combo's lately by switching different razor parts around:detective::thumbsup::yikes:, you guys are a brave bunch -but you never know how those interesting Frankenstein razors could perform with some great shaves possible.
Have some great shaves!

Ah, I see what your Baby Frankenrazor is, I think. This is it right? A shimmed SLOC?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 892192 I made a baby Frakenrazor by adding one shim to the bottom of primary blade and this makes it have just barely have positive blade exposure from my testing and getting some very nice results if you fellows are still experimenting. At least you will not have to buy any new base plates that don't exist:idea::thumbup:.

So, you have a shim. Then, on top of that you have the primary blade.

In the photo it looks like you have a shim + a primary blade + maybe a secondary blade?

I believe that's rare territory. Somebody tried a two blade stack system and reported on it. It might have been Mike @Esox. As I recall it was an experiment with a report unlikely to generate endless replication efforts.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
They are the same.

I believe maybe the handles are different.

proxy.php

RR handles are very nice indeed, at least the barberpole handle is. When I ordered my SLOC I ordered enough stuff I actually needed to get free shipping. Had I known how much I was going to like the SLOC and the barberpole handle I would have ordered another (spare) SLOC or at least another barberpole handle.

upload_2018-6-20_14-29-52.jpeg

The barberpole handle is one I think of as being too long and too heavy but in reality it is exactly right for me.

proxy.php

How wrong he was there...We all know the truth.

upload_2018-6-20_14-33-34.png

Most of what Einstein learned was from playing baseball as a boy.

Happy shaves,

Jim

upload_2018-6-20_14-36-51.png

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I believe that's rare territory. Somebody tried a two blade stack system and reported on it. It might have been Mike @Esox. As I recall it was an experiment with a report unlikely to generate endless replication efforts.

It was indeed me. The Fearless Shaver haha. Or is that The Foolish Shaver hmmmm.

Polsilver SI Twin.

48 1/2 hours since last shave.

Proraso Red face lathered. Go buy some. Dont make me tell you again! lol

I loaded a fresh blade on top of a single use blade, squared them up. Wiped my face with a wet hand and started lathering.

410928-gif.873633

I thought I'd start a more traditional shave, WTG first pass. Starting right side, top of my side burn and stroked straight N-S. Tuggy! I did the right side of my face from top of cheek to my jawline and quite tuggy. Not comfortable at all. When I got to the side of my mouth I gave up and pulled the new blade and loaded it in my Regent for next shave.

I finished the WTG pass, lathered again and started S-N for the second pass.

I only had to do my neck after that so I started buffing ATG as usual. Finished with a nice BBS shave.

No surprises in the shave itself, but the stacking DE blades theory is gone. Curiosity satisfied.

My Grande with two Feather blades installed.

Two Feather blades loaded.

All pics are cropped, but left at their original 10mp resolution.

Ron R

In the photo it looks like you have a shim + a primary blade + maybe a secondary blade?

Happy shaves,

Jim
Those are my photo's that are from another forum I contribute to on making a proper shims. No doubt in my mind that the early pioneers of the twin blades were experimenting with shims sandwiched to see early results were possible and positive. And track II razor comes to mind, its always a race to see who has new and better products and trying to sell those ideas internally in Gillette factory's would be hard to do. The jealousy in plants almost kill new ideas that folks come up with because the boss wants the credits or promotions- I have worked in plants that can sometimes kill ideas and some how they resurface when the original idea person finds a new job. Plants who reward employees for good ideas are more than likely still in business.(kind of went on a tangent)

Ron R

Happy shaves,

Jim
Its just one shim I used, the photos are maybe not that good at explaining what I did, they are from another site I contribute to explaining how I make shims. Some guys make their shims to narrow and take away rigidity of the primary blade support.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Some guys make their shims to narrow and take away rigidity of the primary blade support.

Which is exactly what I did wrong, but the cheap scissors I had at the time would twist the blade and bind if I tried to cut any closer to the edge. Those scissors lacked.....rigidity! lol

IMG_1304.JPG

Ron R

It was indeed me. The Fearless Shaver haha. Or is that The Foolish Shaver hmmmm.

My Grande with two Feather blades installed.
Very interesting idea Mike, I tried two blades with a couple shims sandwiched between the two regular blades and chickened out because my alignment razor posts were not accurate enough and the curvature of the razor head made the blades look way out of alignment and abandoned my experiment months ago.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Very interesting idea Mike, I tried two blades with a couple shims sandwiched between the two regular blades and chickened out because my alignment razor posts were not accurate enough and the curvature of the razor head made the blades look way out of alignment and abandoned my experiment months ago.

In theory I thought it had merit. In practice...not so much, but it was still better than the Graham Field blade! lol

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Those are my photo's that are from another forum I contribute to on making a proper shims. No doubt in my mind that the early pioneers of the twin blades were experimenting with shims sandwiched to see early results were possible and positive. And track II razor comes to mind, its always a race to see who has new and better products and trying to sell those ideas internally in Gillette factory's would be hard to do. The jealousy in plants almost kill new ideas that folks come up with because the boss wants the credits or promotions- I have worked in plants that can sometimes kill ideas and some how they resurface when the original idea person finds a new job. Plants who reward employees for good ideas are more than likely still in business.(kind of went on a tangent)

Yeah, been there, too. Not a plant, but an organization. Guy told me my idea was wrong, maybe immoral at best. Later he used the exact idea, explained exactly like I explained it, same metaphors, etc. It was a great idea he'd come up with, years later. He probably even knew I was in the audience.

Just the world we live in.

upload_2018-6-20_16-24-56.jpeg

Like I'm perfect.

Good thing everything shaving related is so simple, right?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
In theory I thought it had merit. In practice...not so much, but it was still better than the Graham Field blade! lol

I thought is was a bad idea, but you never know until you know.

With the G-F I knew real early in the game, but it wasn't much worse than shaving with a...Oops, sorry, it's the sharpest blade in the world. Almost gave the secret away.

This has got to be the only place on earth where it's cool (or maybe not) to be a member of a club all the members of which shaved with the G-F blade. Sort of like wearing a tee shirt bragging about having hit your thumb hammering a nail and having nobody look at you funny.

upload_2018-6-20_16-35-20.png

I suspect we (the club members) are the ones looking at ourselves funny. Nobody else can quite get it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Sort of like wearing a tee shirt bragging about having hit your thumb hammering a nail and having nobody look at you funny.

I had a friend that always bragged about being able to sink a 4" Ardox with a single swing after it was set. Until the day he got in a hurry and forgot one important thing...

A 28oz Estwing framing hammer will get you in that club, but thats one club you do not want to enter lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I had a friend that always bragged about being able to sink a 4" Ardox with a single swing after it was set. Until the day he got in a hurry and forgot one important thing...

A 28oz Estwing framing hammer will get you in that club, but thats one club you do not want to enter lol.

I used to know a boy who liked to have contests where you prove you can hold a burning match longer than the next guy. He didn't get that winning was another name for losing. None of us wanted to play the game no matter how much he begged. It was too hard to watch him "win."

That's a big framing hammer. I used to work with oak and used a heavy hammer but not that heavy. Soft wood is a lot easier.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I believe maybe the handles are different.

Of course they are. I was talking about the head only.

I have no idea who is manufacturing those great handles for Razorock. They're alone are often more than worth the price of the razor. (If you're not enjoying the head, those RR handles are for keeping.)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Of course they are. I was talking about the head only.

I have no idea who is manufacturing those great handles for Razorock. They're alone are often more than worth the price of the razor. (If you're not enjoying the head, those RR handles are for keeping.)

I figured you knew that, but I wasn't so sure about the person asking the question. Sorry for not being clear.

I agree about the RR handles if the one I have is a typical example. I finally have enough handles to be getting a handle on what I like in them, and don't like. It seems I can use just about anything, but some are better than others. Some function better for me than others. Some are also better made, or prettier, or have better knurling, or whatever.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom