What's new

My Grande Journey

It's a pussycat if you shave steep. I don't know who coined the term "dolphin smooth" (maybe @mjclark) but it certainly applies to this razor. Zamak, but you'd never know it because it's plated like a 50s Buick.
I believe it was @Fergiebilly who first used the term “dolphin smooth”
I’ve never actually kissed a dolphin but the 2011 R41 leaves your face feeling “waxy” like no other razor can.
The 2013 R41 is pretty good too :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
48 hours since last shave and back to 'just shaving', for the moment...

Post war tech/Fat handle. Fresh Feather.

Proraso Green.

Maggard synthetic.

Standard 3 pass++++ shave.

First pass N-S. Second pass S-N. Third pass directly ATG. No buffing at any point.

First clean up at and below my jawline, buffing ATG.

Second clean up pass below my jawline, buffing ATG.

Third clean up pass and back over my jawline at a 45° angle and buffing over my swirls.

Fourth clean up pass lol, 45° the opposite direction and buffing over my swirls.

In the end I needed to start all over again hahaha.

I have very comfortable skin and a very nice BBS shave, but I damn well better after that much work! Mild razors are just that mild. Easy on the skin but not what I'd call efficient. It was an enjoyable shave, its hard to dismiss that much comfort, but at the same time its maddeningly frustrating.

I'll use it again the next time I feel like whittling a Totem Pole...or something.

066556773a72d1908cd59a4b320f1fc5--totem-poles-native-art.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
At the suggestion of @rabidus I put a post war Tech cap on my NEW SC base with a fat Tech handle.

Polsilver with 5 or 6 shaves on it.

Proraso Red.

Maggard synthetic.

Around 48 hours since last shave.

I wanted to stay with a typical 3 pass+ shave so first pass was N-S. Second pass S-N. Third pass directly ATG and all cleanups directly ATG.

Super smooth and comfortable, Brit clone comfortable. Much the same for the second pass, and the third.

One clean up along my jawline both sides and over my neck, buffing. Wipe and check and went at it again, then once more for a very nice, and very close BBS shave.

The one thing I did differently with this razor was use it steep the same as I do my Old Types, nothing but comb. My technique has obviously improved because I had no issues at all and only very slight redness on my neck when I finished. It was gone in seconds.

Three full passes with no buffing. Three cleanups with some light buffing, because I wanted the absolute closest shave I could get and I did in fact get that very thing. Virtually the exact same shave the Brit clone gives me but I believe its a closer shave with this razor.

I dont think I'm far off calling that Brit clone an OC Tech. The difference between it and this setup is the gap and possibly a little added blade exposure. They add up to a closer shave.

I'd forgotten how smooth this razor actually is. Easily as smooth as any of my Old Types.

The Tech cap sure handicaps the efficiency though. I'll swap the SC cap back on it for next shave and shave the very same way and note the difference.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yes it does! Other caps are in between the two, you can tweak the SC with different caps. And then there's the assortment of DE blades...

DE blades I have a handle on. Polsilver and Derby Extra! :tongue_sm

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
NEW SC with the proper SC cap.

Polsilver flipped.

CC 45th.

Maggard synthetic.

48 hours since last shave.

First pass N-S. Second pass S-N. Third pass directly ATG. All done steep, nothing but comb.

Slight tugging first pass as usual with this razor. Nothing much but I did notice it. I think its because as my skin travels through the gap it changes the angle of cut through the hairs, but as I said, a nonissue really.

Second pass and no tugging at all. Light buffing right side chin and jawline.

Third pass, lotsa buffing. No issues really but I could feel my neck becoming warm.

I needed another clean up over my swirls as usual, but by then my neck was noticeably red, not sore, but red and warm.

I have a very good shave and now about 20 minutes post shave I still have some slight warmth but the redness is gone. This shave is also very close.

The little bit of extra buffing I did during the second pass managed to whittle down most of the growth right side chin/jawline. The clean up after that pretty much gave me the finish I wanted. Feeling with the pad of my thumb now, with considerable pressure, the dime size area I can usually feel is now maybe the size of the eraser on the end of a pencil.

Damn nice shave.

Third pass, lotsa buffing. No issues really but I could feel my neck becoming warm.

I needed another clean up over my swirls as usual, but by then my neck was noticeably red, not sore, but red and warm.
I read your posts and often scratch my head wondering "Why?". There's a definite link between buffing and irritation, and I have no idea why people do it? It's unnecessary - you can get just as close shaving with traditional strokes.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I read your posts and often scratch my head wondering "Why?". There's a definite link between buffing and irritation, and I have no idea why people do it? It's unnecessary - you can get just as close shaving with traditional strokes.

I cant get as close a shave with a single stroke, even as directly ATG as I can attack it. I'd still need just as many strokes as I'd use buffing.

The link between buffing and irritation for me is gap and how my skin travels through it. To get as close a shave with one stroke, I'd need a lot more pressure than I could comfortably apply.

Razors with less gap, like the Old Types and especially my Single Ring, dont, for lack of a better word, distort my skin or change the angle of cut because they have far less gap. That does two things, makes them more efficient because I can use more pressure comfortably which in turn, allows me a lesser number of buffing strokes.

I wish I could just wipe my whiskers off with a single stroke, believe me I've tried lol, but its just not happening. I can come very close to that using my Grande and either a Polsilver or Gillette Yellow, but I still need to go over my swirls in a different direction.

You can scratch your head and I'll scratch mine wondering how anyone gets a BBS finish in 3 strokes or less over an area. I cant, but I sure wish I could.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
In a nutshell, how would you compare the the two caps?

The SC cap gives more exposure and makes the razor far more efficient. Using them the same way, the Tech cap is a little more comfortable. Its really a toss up which I'd prefer but if I had to choose, efficiency wins.

Ask me tomorrow and I might change my mind! lol

You can scratch your head and I'll scratch mine wondering how anyone gets a BBS finish in 3 strokes or less over an area. I cant, but I sure wish I could.
At the risk of bringing up a discussion we both have opposing strong opinions about, put aside your obsession with those rigid blade razors and try some less rigid but much more aggressive razors. None of your razors are very aggressive; your Fatip is at best moderate.

Razors that I think would do the job for you are the Muhle R41, ikon Tech, or my personal favorite, the Wardonia Mk.VI.

If you really want efficiency and don't want to break the bank, head to your neighborhood Sally Beauty and pick up a $10 Magic Shavette.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
At the risk of bringing up a discussion we both have opposing strong opinions about, put aside your obsession with those rigid blade razors and try some less rigid but much more aggressive razors. None of your razors are very aggressive; your Fatip is at best moderate.

Razors that I think would do the job for you are the Muhle R41, ikon Tech, or my personal favorite, the Wardonia Mk.VI.

If you really want efficiency and don't want to break the bank, head to your neighborhood Sally Beauty and pick up a $10 Magic Shavette.

What timing you have lol.

An R41 head will be on its way to me shortly!

The main reason I went to more and more rigid designs was my use of my NEW LC and how it would skip over my swirls. Adding a shim helped that razor about 50% so it only stood to reason that an even more rigid design would help more again, and has.

My Grande just wipes the stubble off, but because it has to cut a swirl growth pattern, with that razor I need to go over them in two directions. With say a Tech, I need to go over them in as many as 5 directions to whittle them down.

Blade exposure doesnt worry me and shaving directly ATG first pass doesnt bother me and I've done it with my Grande, SC and Single Ring but all are very rigid designs.

Blade exposure combined with skipping from blade flex and/or chatter does. Even with my Grande my swirls are difficult to cut at best. I need to get the angle just right, very shallow, and stroke over them quickly. If I use it even slightly steep, the very edge of the blade will flex and I'll get a weeper. Thats what I like about the MMOC, zero blade flex, and why I've been leaning towards the ATT SE1.

I'll wait until I give the R41 a few shaves before doing anything else.

I'm continuing my iKon Tech (IT) journey and really enjoying it.

Rudy's so right about the IT being much more rigid than the R41. But after following @rabidus' posts on rigidity I thought maybe I could improve the IT further.

Tonight I loaded one (20mm wide) shim between the baseplate and the blade:
View attachment 790089

Wow! Really good. An even better shave! I'm impressed rabidus, thank you. :thumbup:

I'll continue with the single shim for a week or so, then maybe consider more... watch this space! :laugh:

iKon Tech: details and first shave report.

THIRD SHAVE REPORT

I'm 22 shaves/days in now, and one shave/day in with my new Phoenix 7075 handle.
View attachment 791395
As per my second report, this is a WONDERFUL razor, I love it! :001_wub:

It does indeed get better with each use. And now with the single shim (as per @rabidus) and the matching aluminum handle... it's close to orgasmic!
BBS shaves don't get any easier than this. :001_cool:

My views on using shimmed razors are much the same as yours Toby. It was only after reading some of @rabidus' posts that I tried one in my R41 and the difference was like night and day.

Top Bottom