What's new

How I use 4711

proxy.php

4711 has always been an accepted conservative classic, yet controversial in the world of fragrances, making it a bit of an enigma. While it has a noble history of being the first cologne (although I'm sure there's room for debate) as well as the personal favourite of Napoleon who ordered crate loads of it for his campaigns, it falls short in the modern age of fragrances because it mostly contains top notes, with only a few middle notes to give it depth and longevity. This means that the scent isn't particularly complex, and will have worn off in an hour or two. One could theoretically spritz themself with 4711 every couple hours since it's sinfully inexpensive, but the full burst of top notes would likely get tiring quickly.

However, it seems a shame that this fragrance doesn't get used more since its top notes are absolutely wonderful, providing a burst of citrus and sunlight into your day. There is just a slight hint of a musk or vegetable middle note that's difficult to detect, but it is there. So how does one enjoy this fine product without using it as a cologne that's likely to disappoint?

1) Bath - Fill yourself up a tub of warm water and liberally douse some 4711 on top, mixing it in as you sit down. You will be immediately greeted with a lovely fragrance from all sides, while the warm water helps you relax as well.

2) Body Cologne/Hands - I also like to splash it on after a bath (usually a normal bath without 4711 so as not to over-do it), and then put my hands together and inhale the remaining 4711. This can really put you in the right mood. Ensure you do this after you've rubbed the liquid off your hands, you don't want to be breathing in alcohol :p

How do you guys use 4711? Do you do use any of your other colognes like this?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I didn't know that you could still get it. I have not smelled it in over 35 years.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Love the stuff. Have the 1/2 gallon bottle ...

and it's an aftershave. Just decant some and add a few drops of glycerin.

This does two things: some face-food soothing, and the slight tack of glycerin makes the scent of 4711 stick around (no pun intended, but allowed for).

This same decant/glycerin boost is used successfully in other weak "colognes," such as Florida Water, Pinaud Special Reserve, and any other awesome-smelling cologne pretenders.

Any alky-only aftershave benefits from this, too, for the same reasons - face food and scent longevity.

AA

I love the smell of 4711 but grew frustrated with its lack of longevity. I purchased Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino which has a similar vibe, but is more complex and lasts pretty much all day. Pretty pricey though.

I love it in the summer. Not a strong sillage, but distinctive and understated - just how I like my fragrances!

Love the stuff. Have the 1/2 gallon bottle ...

and it's an aftershave. Just decant some and add a few drops of glycerin.

This does two things: some face-food soothing, and the slight tack of glycerin makes the scent of 4711 stick around (no pun intended, but allowed for).

This same decant/glycerin boost is used successfully in other weak "colognes," such as Florida Water, Pinaud Special Reserve, and any other awesome-smelling cologne pretenders.

Any alky-only aftershave benefits from this, too, for the same reasons - face food and scent longevity.

AA
Could you just add some to a unscented AS balm? If so how much do you think would give it longevity?

Can be had at certain Bed Bath & Beyond stores with the healthcare section. They also carry the Big Boss sized 12oz bottles of Lilac Veg.. (someone at some point, in Union, New Jersey made that decision, and I'd like to know how well they sell..lol)

Interesting tips regarding adding glycerin and body lotion, I hadn't thought of trying either one. Maybe I'll experiment!

I've got a bottle of it, but I don't use it very often. It's made by Mäurer&Wirtz, the same company that makes the fantastic Tabac, both are classics.
I've never tried to use a scent like described above, but it struck me that it would be nice to try the same thing with Floïd Vigoroso, also an inexpensive but very nice aftershave.

I love the stuff. I have the aftershave and cologne. I have the cologne in 3 sizes, I think (at least 2), including the biggest bottle and the littlest bottle. I only take a bath on a rare occasion, but I can see how that would be very nice. Will have to try to remember that in the future.

I find the longevity to be only in the 10-30 minute range. Ten minutes for the aftershave, and about 30 minutes for the cologne. honestly haven't thought about it in a while. I'll give it a go tomorrow! And I'll probably put some on when I get home today too.

Wow! Blast from the past. My grandfather wore 4711. When he passed away, I was in 6th grade and inherited a bottle.

I really enjoyed it, as kind of a memorial to him and thought of it something rare and expensive.

I wore it into high school, until Grey Flannel and Polo(original back then) took my scene.

I think I’m going to take a trip to Bed, Bath and Beyond to purchase a trip down memory lane.

Thanks

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I love the stuff, particularly because the scent is so fleeting. After showering, I can just spray the stuff on to my heart's content, knowing that it won't clash with any colognes or aftershaves that I may use.

Also, I add a dollop of 4711 to witch hazel (along with some glycerin) to kill the witch hazel smell for a dandy home brew aftershave.

Best part of the deal is cost. Shop carefully and you can pick up a 27 (?) ounce bottle for less than $40.

I love the stuff, particularly because the scent is so fleeting. After showering, I can just spray the stuff on to my heart's content, knowing that it won't clash with any colognes or aftershaves that I may use.

Also, I add a dollop of 4711 to witch hazel (along with some glycerin) to kill the witch hazel smell for a dandy home brew aftershave.

Best part of the deal is cost. Shop carefully and you can pick up a 27 (?) ounce bottle for less than $40.

I've done exactly the same thing with 4711 to make my own aftershave!

4711 sounds like a fantastic smelling scent.
I'm going to buy some to experiment with to see if I can eek out some longevity, altering the scent as little as possible (adding Iso E Super, Ambroxan, etc).

Please post your favorite versions of 4711 and a little about why you like the scent.

Top Bottom