What's new

What lurks beneath?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
After an accidental overnight soak in white vinegar, it looks brand new. Putting that knot aside, I set one of the new Sunrise knots into that lucite handle, and am putting the other into a beautiful olive wood handle.

The olive wood has nice grain, and came from Bethlehem, Israel via the bay.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Finally decided mold resulted from the knot being set too deep in that particular handle, something to look out for in brush making.

The new olive wood brush has that same knot set shallower, and feels and acts much differently! Will get a photo up soon.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Olive wood re-knot, finished.

full

full

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That Olive wood looks great!

Thanks! It came partly finished, I used spar varnish on the bottom. I KNOW that stuff waterproofs wood, it's used on sailing ships.

I also got lucky, getting a handle with great grain.

AA

I dry all my brushes just like everybody else- on a stand, handle up.

Guess I'm not like everybody else. I dry my brushes by shaking them off thoroughly, wiping them off on a towel, and then storing them on the handle's base, bristles up, outside the bathroom.

Are you sure it's mould? Have you got copper pipes? It looks about the right colour to be copper carbonate.
Was it set on a coin? I've used coins to raise the loft under a knot and the coin turns blue green. Usually with silicone.

I agree that this looks like verdigris, or copper patina, perhaps from stacking things up with a penny or two, or from some sort of default copper plumbing.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Guess I'm not like everybody else. I dry my brushes by shaking them off thoroughly, wiping them off on a towel, and then storing them on the handle's base, bristles up, outside the bathroom.

I agree that this looks like verdigris, or copper patina, perhaps from stacking things up with a penny or two, or from some sort of default copper plumbing.
[/QUOTE]

Good stuff and thanks.

I do "bang" brushes repeatedly until dry … there were no coins stacking (although the new olive wood brush has a cut 24mm wood dowel spacer underneath) and I HOPE there isn't copper or derivatives in our water …

Since vinegar made the minty-green stuff vanish, I'm going to assume mold from the knot being set too deep.

AA

The knot popped out of one of my brushes a few months ago.

No funky alien slime in it. Pic taken when it came out and it was in rotation at that time .

proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@Mick , good to hear! Maybe boar dries more throughly than synthetic, or you live in a cooler, drier place ..

@BigJ , thanks! I never realized olive wood was so hard, or had such neat grain. It reminds me of the beautiful laminates used in firearm stocks, but it's natural.

With the knot set higher, this is the longest brush I have, and I really like the difference the length makes. I initially didn't like the shape - it's the traditional Surrey brush shape - but your fingers go over the bulb part pretty naturally. And the synthetic Sunrise knot has been working well for me for years.

AA

Top Bottom