What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Far too many beautiful razors to comment on over the last few days. Thank you all, you keep this hobby interesting. Some very nice new productions and wonderfully restored vintage razors as well, each one a treat to see.

I chose my Henckels 472 this morning, always a solid performer and today was no different - 2 passes, a bit of clean up, BBS. It's becoming the razor I reach for when I can't decide which one to use (it might need a sibling in the future). I recently loaded up my shave den with RPS soaps and matching AS balms but Catie's Bubbles Irish Coffee is still one of my favorite scents and simply a wonderful product:
SOTD061718.JPG

mk31.jpg

A razor that is as good as it gets. I'm however sorry that the C&E Sandalwood (not Indian Sandalwood) is discontinued since a couple of years. I still have an unopened bottle of EDT left, but when it's gone I have to replace it with the rather similar (but not quite as nice) Trumper Sandalwood.

View attachment 891676
A razor that is as good as it gets. I'm however sorry that the C&E Sandalwood (not Indian Sandalwood) is discontinued since a couple of years. I still have an unopened bottle of EDT left, but when it's gone I have to replace it with the rather similar (but not quite as nice) Trumper Sandalwood.

That's such a beautiful razor, I don't see how it could be improved upon - a matching, dual set, maybe? Or a boxed set with one of each size?

Ha ha - not really Arne!

You're a much braver man than I am.

Very nice. I've wondered how much more difficulty was involved in using a kamisori rather than a traditional western straight, did it take long to figure out the technique? How about honing, did you do it yourself? I'd really like to get one myself someday so I'd appreciate any advice on using and maintaining them.
If you’re used to straights then tour technique will quickly adapt for kamis.
The traditionalists shave alsways with the Ura side away from the face but I am a Modernist who uses the kami ambidextrously and shaves with each side against the face.
IMO this is a legitimate development of the Tradition by Western users but there’s a lot of debate about that one!

The modern very very good Iwasaki “spicy” Swedish Steel supports a 2:1 honing ratio (which apparently is what is used on them before they ship) but this would chip a vintage kamisori in my experience.
To anybody considering using a kamisori I’d say: Go for it!!

Top Bottom