What's new

Artists' Club

Wow! Fierce!!!
You can snap the blades in half inside the paper wrapper as we do with the DE blades for a bit less blade exposure!
Oh, sure, but if anything the extra blade exposure made the razor more forgiving! (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

There’s a dedicated thread for these Chinese cabinet blades and their delivery systems here:
Strong Leopard Shavette With Antelope Blades

Now you’re initiated come on over and join us :)
Will do! But just to keep the record straight in this thread, after a second shave today I've revised my opinion about using the double-width blade in the narrow shavette. While I initially saw the wide blade as more forgiving, I've come to realize that it's mainly less effective, because the blade chatters like crazy. I actually switched over to the Excelia + AC Pro Super after the first pass. So I think I'll be snapping that wide blade in two after all!

While I initially saw the wide blade as more forgiving, I've come to realize that it's mainly less effective, because the blade chatters like crazy.
Maybe "chatter" isn't the right word. It's not that the blade is rattling around. It's flexing a lot, thereby throwing the shaving angle off, so you need more strokes to get the shave done. So I've snapped the blade in half. But I've also ordered a shavette that, by the looks of it, will accommodate the entire wide blade. There's a picture of such a razor, courtesy of @mjclark, in the very first post of the thread where the leopard and the antelope roam. But I've also ordered an Antelope 77 with the yellow handle, which looks like it accommodates the wide blade, as well as the snappily named DRGSKL X.Y.P. 77:

proxy.php

M

member 119848

I'm in!
I Just discovered the AC shaving system a week ago. I acquired a shavette Feather SS with ProGuard blades, got to town with it, and since getting R41-like results from it! Being a newbie in straight-razor shaving, I can´t even imagine how good my shaves are going to get with experience.
I just ordered Professionals from Feather, along with a new DX shavette.
This is the beginning of a new journey for me. LOVE the Artist Club! :001_wub:
A78B0517-588F-49EC-BBED-C822B7049B6A.jpeg

What an auspicious start! :thumbup: AC is simply a great shaving system! I'm sure we'll all be eager to hear your thoughts on the DX vs. the SS.

Welcome! :a4: <-- the Artist Club emoji!

I'm in!
I Just discovered the AC shaving system a week ago. I acquired a shavette Feather SS with ProGuard blades, got to town with it, and since getting R41-like results from it! Being a newbie in straight-razor shaving, I can´t even imagine how good my shaves are going to get with experience.
I just ordered Professionals from Feather, along with a new DX shavette.
View attachment 890077
Great stuff! Welcome to where the good shaving is :)

M

member 119848

Until the DX and the PROS arrive from Japan, I ordered some PRO SUPER.
I know, I know, I know: too much confidence is dangerous with those things... I´ll be carefull !
But I 'm just blown away by this shaving system. Did you folks too realize from the start that this would eclipse the DE?

Until the DX and the PROS arrive from Japan, I ordered some PRO SUPER.
I know, I know, I know: too much confidence is dangerous with those things... I´ll be carefull !
But I 'm just blown away by this shaving system. Did you folks too realize from the start that this would eclipse the DE?

The supers are my favourite blades for the SS. Just keep the angle low and ride the lip and you'll be fine.

When I first tried the Artist Club I was having some issues with psoriasis. I'd been drifting away from traditional shaving. Hadn't picked up a straight in years because I no longer had a reliable honing service. But carts and electric were causing real problems and I was using a horrible vintage DE that I had used for a long as I can remember. Then I discovered modern DE razors, good soap, good brushes and was blown away. My first DX shave was incredible - felt like going back to straight razors again. The SS was a little tougher to get the hang of but once I did I found it gave me the most comfortable shave out of any system. If my skin is bad I reach for that over any other.

... In answer to your question, I have had so many revelations with modern shaving. I real enjoy all of it but in different ways. I think the SS is the most advanced shaving system I have tried.

This is how I think of it :

Feather SS / Kai Luffy - perfect combination of several razor formats - requires skill and judgement to get a good finish, consistent blade performance
Other Artist Club - consistently edged blades, good results based on skill - like a reliable straight.
Straight - a personalised experience based on blade geometry, grind choice, how the edge was finished, and the type of steel used.
DE - a consistent and predictable result based on a good shaving routine or preparation and products

Last night I reached for my Kai Captain because I was tired. I wanted a quick and easy shave. I didn't want to strop and clean and oil. I didn't want to take time with three passes and little DE strokes. But the Artist Club lack a degree of personality. So on a night when I feel like a conversation with the steel I will reach for a Sheffield blade and begin the discussion on a strop. Depending on how that goes the razor will behave in a number of different ways. There's always a degree of incertainty with a straight which makes it even more fun. On a night where I want an absolutely predictable result and I have the time and energy I'll take my time with one or more DE or SE razors.

M

member 119848

@Seveneighth , nice to see your reply here. Yes, interesting... each shaving system (traditional straights, DE, Artist Club, etc.) opens a new dimension to the shaving experience.
I´m new to AC, so that explains why I´m so thrilled about it.
Until recently, I didn´t feel any driving motivation to explore new shaving gear. My DE gave me more than satisfactory shaves. I mean c´mon, I used a R41 as daily shaver, how can it improve from there? But somehow... I just gave the shavette AC a try. Now I´m getting stellar shaves too, but with more fun! And now I´m looking at other straights, Kamisoris, etc.
Let´s face it: Addictive disorder is common on this forum, but as a minimalist in life, I'm really surprising myself. @Tokyospike I´m sure you understand what I mean... It´s a journey.

Great chart.

Here is a question. If you place the Proguard on top of the Pro the width is the same to the guard ridges. Which would mean that in practice the Proguard has less cutting edge exposure than the Pro.

Thoughts anyone?
I think that's the idea behind the guard. In my experience it works pretty well, though on balance I prefer the unguarded edge. But don't get complacent with a Proguard just because it has a guard! The first couple of shaves can be really unforgiving, until the blade gets broken in.

Guess I'm in!

SWMBO gifted me a Feather SS for my 60th a few weeks ago, along with a pack of Proguards.

FeatherSS.JPG

Shaved with it very slowly at first. Cheeks and simple neck strokes, then tried to master the chin.
Got to the stage of doing 2 passes and finishing it off with my Schick M Injector and Twin blade. Was fairly comfortable doing that for a week or so.

Yesterday I went for the whole 3 passes and succeded in a very passible shave - including the dreaded chin.
My neck has the weirdest growth patterns. Found myself standing in front of the mirror debating on how to tackle a particular area, constantly swapping the razor between hands. :001_rolle

I must say, I really enjoyed the experience. Barely a nick or irritation - I've had much worse shaves with DE's.
I know there's a long way to go yet, plenty technique to learn still.

One thing thats struck me since I've started using the SS is the importance of getting the right slickness into the lather.
For me thats the secret of getting the difficult area's done without irritation, along with technique of course.
Bought a pack of Schick Proline P-30's to try sometime. Proline B-20's are my favourite single Injector blades.
Not sure if the SS will ever replace my beloved Injectors, but, you never know!

Call me converted! :001_cool:

Guess I'm in!

SWMBO gifted me a Feather SS for my 60th a few weeks ago, along with a pack of Proguards.

View attachment 891271

Shaved with it very slowly at first. Cheeks and simple neck strokes, then tried to master the chin.
Got to the stage of doing 2 passes and finishing it off with my Schick M Injector and Twin blade. Was fairly comfortable doing that for a week or so.

Yesterday I went for the whole 3 passes and succeded in a very passible shave - including the dreaded chin.
My neck has the weirdest growth patterns. Found myself standing in front of the mirror debating on how to tackle a particular area, constantly swapping the razor between hands. :001_rolle

I must say, I really enjoyed the experience. Barely a nick or irritation - I've had much worse shaves with DE's.

One thing thats struck me since I've started using the SS is the importance of getting the right slickness into the lather.
For me thats the secret of getting the difficult area's done without irritation, along with technique of course.
Bought a pack of Schick Proline P-30's to try sometime. Proline B-20's are my favourite single Injector blades.

There's no turning back now...

Congratulations

Guess I'm in!

View attachment 891271

Great stuff! Welcome to ultimate shaving :)

Hey, Somerled, you're off to a rollicking good start. The cliché is true: it will only get better. Nice scales on that SS!

I use my AC shavettes all the time, usually for touch-up after a couple of passes with an AC safety razor, but also for full shaves. Touch-up keeps my straight skills sharp (so to speak) and virtually guarantees a BBS. I say this to let you know that your beloved injectors and your newfound AC skills are not necessarily an either-or proposition. You can have the best of both worlds, even within a single shave! :D

Top Bottom