What's new

Leeks

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My bride came home from the grocery with a couple leeks. We've never cooked them before.
What s the best way to prepare them?
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

I like making leek and potato soup. Cut the leeks into one inch pieces, wash them thoroughly (and I mean thoroughly, separate all the layers as you wash them). Saute for a bit in some butter, add potatoes cut into pieces (anywhere from half to a full inch, depending on how chunky you like it). Add in some garlic, a bay leaf, and chicken broth. Simmer until all is cooked, and enjoy.

I think of leeks as fancy, mellow onions. So, they work in most situations where onion would.

They are not really a “side dish” vegetable, but more of a helper in a recipe.

A festive leek side-dish; recipe for 4 leeks:

--Trim off leaves and roots
--Split lengthwise and wash very thoroughly, drain off water
--Lay leeks cut side up in a shallow buttered baking dish
--Mix 1/2 pint heavy cream with meaux mustard (the kind with the seeds, 3 tablespoons), salt, and pepper
--Pour mustard-cream mixture over the leeks
--Cover with buttered breadcrumbs - a little added parmesan is good, but not necessary
--Bake uncovered in medium oven until breadcrumbs are brown

This is a very flexible recipe, nice for crowded holiday ovens, as cooking time can be adjusted according to need; it sits on the buffet quite well for a half-hour or so. Quite rich, perfect side dish with turkey, for instance.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
They often have a decent amount of grit in them, so you typically want to half or quarter them lengthwise to clean adequately. They are great anywhere you would like sweet, mellow onion.

Save the tough parts of the leaves for vegetable stock (although it's also good to put them in whole for that). I often split one or two and drop them in t roasting pan with the carrots, onions, and other veggies that will be blended and made into yummy gravy.

As was mentioned earlier, they are a mild and sweeter type of onion. I cook leeks with mushrooms and a little tarragon to make a pasta sauce and they are terrific in many soups and braises.

I like making leek and potato soup. Cut the leeks into one inch pieces, wash them thoroughly (and I mean thoroughly, separate all the layers as you wash them). Saute for a bit in some butter, add potatoes cut into pieces (anywhere from half to a full inch, depending on how chunky you like it). Add in some garlic, a bay leaf, and chicken broth. Simmer until all is cooked, and enjoy.

+1. But add a drizzle of cream at the end.

Prep as previously described to get all the grit out and slice in half lengthwise. Grill either on BBQ or griddle, and serve with melted butter.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Cooked it up tonight with some butter and purple potatoes and garlic. Should have sliced it a little smaller. But it was good. They are very nice and I think I prefer them to onions.

Thanks guys
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom