What's new

First impression of the Astra SP

i just had my first shave with an Astra SP tonight. Even though my lather was a little weaker than normal, the shave went really well. I had no weepers, less than normal irritation and a DFS that was very smooth.

While I still have many blades I want to try, I’m impressed with the Astra SPs.

So many blades, so few whiskers :(

proxy.php

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Very popular and inexpensive. A little too rough for me, but a fine choice. You'll be in good company.

i just had my first shave with an Astra SP tonight. Even though my lather was a little weaker than normal, the shave went really well. I had no weepers, less than normal irritation and a DFS that was very smooth.

While I still have many blades I want to try, I’m impressed with the Astra SPs.
Astra SP is good bang for the buck, quality, and consistent. I won't rank it the best, but will rank it good. It's only downfall for me, is it's not the smoothest (but it's still reasonable).

If you like Astra SP, you may want to consider Gillette Silver Blue. From the same PPI Russian plant. I describe it as a more refined Astra SP. Similar in many ways to the SP, including in sharpness, but super smooth right out of the wrapper and throughout the shave. "Smoothness" is the defining characteristic, but it's also reasonably sharp (as is Astra SP). They generally run about half again in price, vs Astra. I highly recommend them, and they're pretty well regarded on the forum.

Astra SP is good bang for the buck, quality, and consistent. I won't rank it the best, but will rank it good. It's only downfall for me, is it's not the smoothest (but it's still reasonable).

If you like Astra SP, you may want to consider Gillette Silver Blue. From the same PPI Russian plant. I describe it as a more refined Astra SP. Similar in many ways to the SP, including in sharpness, but super smooth right out of the wrapper and throughout the shave. "Smoothness" is the defining characteristic, but it's also reasonably sharp (as is Astra SP). They generally run about half again in price, vs Astra. I highly recommend them, and they're pretty well regarded on the forum.

I’ll have to look into those blades. Thank you for the recommendation.

Glad to see Astras working for another person. No danger of them ever stopping production if we all buy so many. Haha.

I used Astras as my goto for a long time. They just work. They're not the absolute sharpest, nor do they give me a BBS in a more mild razor. But they never fail to give me a DFS, and more importantly a comfortable one.

I've been trying out alot (read: "too many" by my wife) of new razors, and I feel very comfortable testing them out with Astras. Not only because they're familiar, but because I know they won't slice up my face unless I do something really wrong or the razor is really wrong.

I'll echo the recommendation of Silver Blues, slightly closer shave on my face, just a little bit easier to get weapers.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Astra SP's are highly regarded by many on B&B. I recommend a Fixed 4 for a month. I just completed mine & I learned a great deal, & my technique improved immensely. Removing all variables let me focus on learning how to shave better. The Fixed 4 is keeping the same razor, brand of blade, soap/cream, & brush for 4 weeks.

I chose GSB over the Astra but really could have gone either way. To me the GSB was a bit sharper than the Astra and that sold me. 2 of the best imo.

Astras are top-tier for me also: sharp, smooth, comfortable and long-lasting! What’s not to like? :a29:

I chose GSB over the Astra but really could have gone either way. To me the GSB was a bit sharper than the Astra and that sold me. 2 of the best imo.

I have a blade of GSB to try, but have not yet.

Astras are top-tier for me also: sharp, smooth, comfortable and long-lasting! What’s not to like? :a29:

I just used my first Astra blade for the fifth shave last night.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I found Astra SP to be a very good blade so far. I average 14 shaves a blade, and the Astra SP did 26. They were enjoyable shaves too. Comfortable, effective, and long lasting blades, that are available at decent prices in bulk. What's not to like

I haven't tried the SS version yet.

I found Astra SP to be a very good blade so far. I average 14 shaves a blade, and the Astra SP did 26. They were enjoyable shaves too. Comfortable, effective, and long lasting blades, that are available at decent prices in bulk. What's not to like

I haven't tried the SS version yet.

I have not tried the SS version yet. I'm only a month in and have only tried the Rockwell blades and the Astra SP.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have not tried the SS version yet. I'm only a month in and have only tried the Rockwell blades and the Astra SP.

Take your time, buddy, there's no rush. Good technique comes first, and is the foundation for everything else. I spent the first couple of decades sticking to one blade brand :D It's only a few years ago that I started to diversify.

Astra SP is my daily driver, in a Merkur or Ikon slant. Sharp, smooth from the first, and long lasting.

To me, a big selling point is that even though they get less efficient, they don't get rough: I just have a spottier shave, not a bloodier one.

Top Bottom