What's new

Anthony Bourdain Dead At 61

I'm a massive fan of Bourdain. Hearing this news from relatives and coworkers that know I'm a fan has me pretty bummed out, but honestly, I'm not surprised at all. It's horrible that Eric was the one that found him. It would mess me up pretty good finding a close friend like that.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I agree. Mental health issues are in my family. I have seen many failures at chances for treatment on many different levels.
Very sad. Yet another person gone from this world before their time.

Changing it is a significant challenge but it boils down to this: Destigmatize mental health and fund the resources needed for mental health disorder treatment.

Funding is hard as no one wants to pay more taxes and every department needs funding. My home state has made it a race to the bottom for funding of mental health treatment and inpatient mental health beds. At the university hospital in my hometown, they recently had over a dozen patients in their ER that had nowhere to go. All suicidal. Sitting in the ER until an inpatient psychiatric bed somewhere within a 6-8 hour drive opened up. That drive includes nearly every major city in the upper plains states (Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City, St Louis, Indianapolis, Detroit, Memphis, etc). One patient had been in the ER for over 50 hours. It is not uncommon for patients to wait in the ER for two to four days for an inpatient psychiatric bed. But the inpatient issues often reflect a lack of outpatient funding. Many private practice psychiatrists do not take Medicaid. Reimbursement is horrendous. So patients must either pay cash, or wait for one of the providers who actually does take their insurance to have an opening. I’ve personally seen patients wait two months to be seen at the outpatient mental health clinic I shadowed at. Changing mindsets with our country’s poor history with mental health conditions is the more monumental task.

Mental health conditions are health conditions every bit as serious and real as heart disease, diabetes or asthma. Yet, many with these mental health conditions don’t seek treatment for fear of being ostracized, losing their job or being passed over for promotions, or loss of their family or friends support.

So talk about it with your family and friends. Encourage them to open up to you, or to a mental health professional. They don’t “need help”. They need to be evaluated and treated like you would for any disease. Change the conversation, change your mindset, and just maybe we can change the outcomes for the thousands of people that die or suffer every year due to mental health conditions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

According to Adam savage from the old myth busters, as he travels around on his tours, he try’s to frequent the places Anthony reviewed. He claims each place has been spectacular. I would agree with that statement as Anthony was a person to call it as it is. No frills. That’s what I enjoyed so much about his shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was shocked to hear this this morning... Mental illness is like the unseen by the rest of the world burden that the person who has it has to bear... Condolences to his friends and family

I first became aware of Anthony through his books. Always irreverent, fun, entertaining & eye opening reads. One of kind, he will be missed!

Rest in peace!
dave

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Very sad. Some have said that suicide is the only real philosophical question. It takes guts to commit suicide, but I think it takes more guts to live. In any event I feel for anyone suffering from depression or any mental health issue.

What confounds me is this- how does one manage to muddle on when he’s selling paperbacks on a street corner to fuel his drug habit, but can’t find sufficient reason to live after ostensibly exorcising his demons, landing his dream job, achieving wealth and fame, and having an eleven year old daughter?

I’ll miss him.

Very sad. Some have said that suicide is the only real philosophical question. It takes guts to commit suicide, but I think it takes more guts to live. In any event I feel for anyone suffering from depression or any mental health issue.

What confounds me is this- how does one manage to muddle on when he’s selling paperbacks on a street corner to fuel his drug habit, but can’t find sufficient reason to live after ostensibly exorcising his demons, landing his dream job, achieving wealth and fame, and having an eleven year old daughter?

I’ll miss him.

A drug habit you know what you need to make the pain go away, however briefly, life, not so easily solved, the well runs dry?

dave

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Suicide reasons, much like the 'correct' religion, are among those things that we will NEVER understand in this life.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Suicide reasons, much like the 'correct' religion, are among those things that we will NEVER understand in this life.

Agreed.

I have no idea if Anthony was seeking help for his depression but Kate Spade was a bright, successful, multi millionaire with a 10 year old daughter. Reports are that she was seeing a therapist for years to help with her depression and taking medication under her Dr's oversight. Presumably she had the best care money could buy. And still not enough.

Suicides have risen 25% since 1999 (according to the CDC) yet we are, as a society, more medicated than ever. Sometimes it's not as easy as taking a pill to make everything better.

Here's something about his nature I wonder if it contributed to this result. In a couple of the episodes CNN ran Saturday night, His presentation of the 'idea of' suicide was almost a wonder about the challenge of facing such a thing. Is it possible the path that brought him to this end, and why we wonder, as above, about that he had so much to live for now his addiction was confronted and understood; did he go out like David Carradine or Robin did? For some of us, it's the challenge of being so on the edge and rush of just dodging the fatal end. In those moments, judgment is at it's most ragged edge. It's not uplifting to discuss, because, in this aspect, it really is the most selfish of ways to manage one's life until that control is ripped away. But it is an aspect of the male fragility which underlies many things men do self-destructively when they feel life hasn't presented an absolute confrontation of their ability to handle personal death.

I understand why officials have not publically identified the conditions of the scene of his final act, and the premise offered above would hinge, clearly, on that knowledge. That they offered very rapidly they didn't believe it was anything but personal suicide leads me to believe there were no 'loose ends' about what was found.

There is a connection with fight/flight and this act, apparantly, but I am not knowledgeable enough in biology or behavior sciences to grasp it all.

I do know we have lost a fine fellow, a talented chef, and an advocate for interesting cuisine and the people who cook it. He championed street food, and back of the house kitchen workers. And he shared his love of food with all of us.

Add it could only have been CNN (who'da thought!) at the right time, place, and with a phenomenal synergy which came of his crew and their fixers. I weep for them as much as for myself. My sadness is mightily for what could have been.

I've suffered with depression/anxiety my entire adult life. I'm going to speak about me here, but it applies to many other sufferers as well. I was a master of deception. A lot of depressed people are. I came close to crossing the line Mr. Bourdain just crossed more than once in my younger days. I'm 52 now. If I did commit suicide, 98% of the people that knew me would have thought I was the last person who would ever do that. I was funny, charming, confident, intelligent, and the guy people wanted to be around. That was in public. Privately I was suffering alone and barely making it. Self medicating (drinking, drugs, etc.) worked for a while, but eventually I hated myself even more because I didn't want to be doing those things. But that was the only way to escape, to have a different feeling than I was feeling inside. It's a bad place to be. After struggling for years, and make no mistake, you fight your butt off every day, I reached a point where I was physically and mentally exhausted. Emotionally empty. I just wanted it to end. At that point you really aren't thinking about anything except not feeling the way you do. You're deep in a hole that has no light coming in. It is selfish, but the despair is usually so great that rational thinking is over. Suicide becomes an option. A good one. It'll stop everything. I wasn't thinking about the people that loved me, only ending the dreadful, oppressive despair that I carried every minute of every day. Luckily I had a rational thought. If I can choose to commit suicide, I can also choose not to commit suicide. I had enough of "me" left to realize that. Some sufferers don't. It may have only been a fraction of a percent, but it was enough. I went to my Parents that night and broke down. The next day we started. I wasn't in this alone any more. After a couple of months I felt I could actually win this battle. After about a year I was in control. It took medication and counseling, but I found myself again. I still take medication today. Society makes medication seem like some sort of "happy pills". It doesn't work that way. I have a full range of emotions. Happy, sad, angry, and all in between. I cry, I laugh, and I still get depressed. The depression now is something I'm not afraid of. The medication just gives me some solid footing to fight. Before, I had none. The depression would just beat me down. It still does sometimes, but now I have the strength to fight it. I'll have this battle all of my life probably. But now I know I'm going to win. Every time.

If any of this sounds like you or somebody you know, call somebody. Call a hotline. Anything. Don't let society make you think you're weak or just can't handle it. It's a disease. You can be helped and you will win. It won't be easy, but if you're depressed, life hasn't been easy anyway. It's worth the fight.

Sorry for the long post. Some people may find it inappropriate to be so open about personal issues on an internet forum. To "bare one's soul" so to speak. I don't care if the whole world knows. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed in the least. If I help one person find their way, that's all that matters.

Kurt

Last edited:
Thank you for a very brave and informative post. Indeed, if anything which someone says helps just one single person, that can make a huge difference. Best wishes to you for your ongoing health.

I've suffered with depression/anxiety my entire adult life. I'm going to speak about me here, but it applies to many other sufferers as well. I was a master of deception. A lot of depressed people are. I came close to crossing the line Mr. Bourdain just crossed more than once in my younger days. I'm 52 now. If I did commit suicide, 98% of the people that knew me would have thought I was the last person who would ever do that. I was funny, charming, confident, intelligent, and the guy people wanted to be around. That was in public. Privately I was suffering alone and barely making it. Self medicating (drinking, drugs, etc.) worked for a while, but eventually I hated myself even more because I didn't want to be doing those things. But that was the only way to escape, to have a different feeling than I was feeling inside. It's a bad place to be. After struggling for years, and make no mistake, you fight your butt off every day, I reached a point where I was physically and mentally exhausted. Emotionally empty. I just wanted it to end. At that point you really aren't thinking about anything except not feeling the way you do. You're deep in a hole that has no light coming in. It is selfish, but the despair is usually so great that rational thinking is over. Suicide becomes an option. A good one. It'll stop everything. I wasn't thinking about the people that loved me, only ending the dreadful, oppressive despair that I carried every minute of every day. Luckily I had a rational thought. If I can choose to commit suicide, I can also choose not to commit suicide. I had enough of "me" left to realize that. Some sufferers don't. It may have only been a fraction of a percent, but it was enough. I went to my Parents that night and broke down. The next day we started. I wasn't in this alone any more. After a couple of months I felt I could actually win this battle. After about a year I was in control. It took medication and counseling, but I found myself again. I still take medication today. Society makes medication seem like some sort of "happy pills". It doesn't work that way. I have a full range of emotions. Happy, sad, angry, and all in between. I cry, I laugh, and I still get depressed. The depression now is something I'm not afraid of. The medication just gives me some solid footing to fight. Before, I had none. The depression would just beat me down. It still does sometimes, but now I have the strength to fight it. I'll have this battle all of my life probably. But now I know I'm going to win. Every time.

If any of this sounds like you or somebody you know, call somebody. Call a hotline. Anything. Don't let society make you think you're weak or just can't handle it. It's a disease. You can be helped and you will win. It won't be easy, but if you're depressed, life hasn't been easy anyway. It's worth the fight.

Sorry for the long post. Some people may find it inappropriate to be so open about personal issues on an internet forum. To "bare one's soul" so to speak. I don't care if the whole world knows. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed in the least. If I help one person find their way, that's all that matters.

Kurt

Amazing story and glad to hear you have turned a corner. I have no comparison in my own personal life but what always surprises me is the part you mention about internalizing while on the outside appearing completely normal. I think that is what catches people off guard when someone who has not sought help ends up acting negatively on it.

And the other thing that amazes me is how successful some of these people are. Your first instinct is to believe someone wealthy, acclaimed, well known and overall an example of achievement would be at the top of the world with respect to mental well being.

Any way congrats, and thanks for sharing your story. Maybe someone else in a similar situation will see it and it will make a difference.

Top Bottom