What's new

What pocket knife do you carry?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Kershaw injection 3.0 and Spyderco ParaMilitary 2.

20180520_140731.jpg
20180520_140830.jpg

Hi,

An interesting knife. An uncommon lockback Rough Rider with a San Mai laminated blade, stainless over a very hard plain high carbon steel core. The etch is starting to show some wear after a lot of years of carry and work. The bolsters are also damascus also. Only one run of these was ever made and it sold out in a mere couple of months. Fit and finish stands up to some of the best made by anyone. It's the only new made knife I have ever bought 2 of.
proxy.php

For those who may not have heard of Rough Rider, that's a house brand of Smokey Mountain Knife Works. It's a sell made line of inexpensive traditional pocket knives made in China. SMKW has never offered a damascus blade since.

Lately I’ve been carrying a Case X small executive lock back. Very small, but a good blade and it works fine for me for most tasks.

Just got a Victorinox Tinker Swiss. Nice basic utility knife that exchanges some of the less used bells and whistles of a large device, like a Leatherman for example, for a smaller more pocket-friendly size. It was on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods for $20 and it came with a free keychain carbide sharpener.

I also have a Kershaw 2420 ST folder that was my dad's daily carry when I was a kid before he passed. The blade is now in rough shape but it should be easily repaired by a professional. Can anyone suggest a person/company I could send it to that will do a good restore on the blade and not charge me more then it's value?
Here's a few pics of what I'm talking about:
IMG_20180626_193605158.jpg
IMG_20180626_193546130.jpg
IMG_20180626_193631128.jpg
IMG_20180626_193645130.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just got a Victorinox Tinker Swiss. Nice basic utility knife that exchanges some of the less used bells and whistles of a large device, like a Leatherman for example, for a smaller more pocket-friendly size. It was on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods for $20 and it came with a free keychain carbide sharpener.

I also have a Kershaw 2420 ST folder that was my dad's daily carry when I was a kid before he passed. The blade is now in rough shape but it should be easily repaired by a professional. Can anyone suggest a person/company I could send it to that will do a good restore on the blade and not charge me more then it's value?
Here's a few pics of what I'm talking about:
View attachment 893595 View attachment 893596 View attachment 893597 View attachment 893598

The plain edge section just needs a little stonework. That doesn't need a pro, it just needs a little practice (or a system like a Lansky).

There's some serration damage that would be less easily corrected, but it should still tear through fibrous materials.

I think a full restore would be more than it's worth due to the serration damage. So I'd either just get it usable, or lay it away and get another user, depending how sentimental you feel about it.

The plain edge section just needs a little stonework. That doesn't need a pro, it just needs a little practice (or a system like a Lansky).

There's some serration damage that would be less easily corrected, but it should still tear through fibrous materials.

I think a full restore would be more than it's worth due to the serration damage. So I'd either just get it usable, or lay it away and get another user, depending how sentimental you feel about it.

Thanks for the prompt response! I have no experience using a stone to sharpen and I would prefer not to learn/practice on this knife. It does have sentimental value in that I wouldn't pick it up every day nor put it under heavy use but I would like it to be more usable then it currently is. I'm not very worried about the minor serration damage as I would use it for it's straight edge 90% of the time.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks for the prompt response! I have no experience using a stone to sharpen and I would prefer not to learn/practice on this knife. It does have sentimental value in that I wouldn't pick it up every day nor put it under heavy use but I would like it to be more usable then it currently is. I'm not very worried about the minor serration damage as I would use it for it's straight edge 90% of the time.

If you were in the UK, I'd have got it back usable for you, but it's not worth two trips across the pond. Maybe another B&B member that side of the puddle can help out.

As to learning to sharpen on stones, it's a useful life skill anyway, and I'd recommend getting a cheap stone and a cheapo penknife or even kitchen knife, intentionally dulling it, and learning how to bring it back to cutting again. Go for a knife that you'd consider disposable to learn with, so you're not worried about ruining it (which even if you did, would likely be correctable anyway). It can also be quite a relaxing and therapeutic thing to do.

Top Bottom