What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I know, Mike. It isn’t really the money - heck I bought 3 expensive stainless razors (though I did buy them all used, and sold two) - it’s the simplicity of my routine and the benefit to my technique of using the same kit. I’m not just joking about that. I like to learn about these things . . . I am a history guy, after all. But I have what I want for myself and would just be tripping over my own feet to go on searching anyway. I live vicariously through the BOSC crew and a few others.

Giving me a hard time Spike is always going to be a two way street buddy. Get use to it because it may never end. There will always be something to taunt you with :)

source.gif

The Fine Print: Do not mistake that for enabling. Thank you and have a nice day.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Is the handle broken or cracked? Would a little JB Weld fix the crack and keep it from splitting more? It would be nice to salvage the original handle if you could.

It's in transit, so I don't know for sure, but I'll fix it if it looks to be worth fixing. Thanks for the tip on JB Weld.

Does Spike even own a DE razor? I don't have a G-F blade; I already sent my extra to someone and am awaiting their shave report [That's a hint, Joel @Johnnynroy; yeah, I know you didn't ask for the blade but still...].

I’ll send a report your way once I find a DE I can use.

I’m waiting on more reports from you and Mike (especially after Mike’s experiment in straightening made the SR less smooth) before I try out any other DE razors. The Fatip Testina Gentile might make an appearance in the den, or the Game Changer. My guess, though, is that I’ll get to the G-F late Fall or in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I’ll send a report your way once I find a DE I can use.

I’m waiting on more reports from you and Mike (especially after Mike’s experiment in straightening made the SR less smooth) before I try out any other DE razors. The Fatip Testina Gentile might make an appearance in the den, or the Game Changer. My guess, though, is that I’ll get to the G-F late Fall or in 2019.

Ah, no hurry. In any razor it will be the same. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible. You don't have to worry about it cutting you because it doesn't cut. I gave up after about a third of a pass or something when I realized I was going to have to apply enormous pressure to get it to do anything much.

If a good razor with a good blade gives you a three pass shave, with this blade it might take 300 passes.

I have three more Old Type heads (and two handles) in transit. I'm going to soon know more about whether good Old Types are hard to find. I think the OT (1921-1928) is a simpler design than the Single Ring. Besides, I'm not hearing about them being bowed. Maybe many are. I'm new to them, and have a data base largely informed by mine which shaves very well indeed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

proxy.php

Saw it coming.

I like the AC platform fine. To me, the injectors are much the same, but not as wide. I think maybe I get a better shave with an injector, or, at least, about equal. Except the injectors are for me easier to use and a good bit less prone to cutting me.

I can throw an injector around on my face with reckless abandon. I would never try that with one of my AC razors. I used my SS General a good bit, too, including for a Fixed, so it's not like I don't know the razor pretty well. Now, that's not saying I know mine like Spike knows Spike's.

OldType.Side.Nice.640.5-18.JPG

I'm finding my old Old Type much the same as the injectors in the ease of use department, and perhaps (probably) closer shaving. Here it is with the handle it came with, a handle I've never used. Maybe I should give this handle a try? It is very short, but not the shortest travel handle Gillette made; there's one shorter by the length of the neck of this handle and I have no clue how anybody used it. The shorter handle is about as long as the head is wide.

As long as we're all skating along with good shaves all is well. Regardless of what we're using, right?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

Really pretty 1946-1947 SS on eBay today. Not giving it away, but it is very nice. Not for auction, but Buy Now. About $80.

I have one already. Not that I've ever used it, or even cleaned it up, but I have plans to use it sometime. I also have a really nice somewhat later SS, like really nice, much like this one. I've not used it either.

One of my objectives is to try these razors. I used to shave with them (ones like them) back in my youth. Not well either. I want to find out someday if I can make the old Gillette TTO razors work. I know I couldn't then. Yes, I used them for a decade or so, but I doubt I ever got a good, close, comfortable shave with any of them.

In other words, thinking about using one scares the stuffing out of me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

P.S. Tutorial on using use to vs used to. I used to think I knew this, but I was wrong. I'm still not sure I quite get it. Link. This is definitely shaving related because I used to use a SS, poorly.

I used my SS General a good bit, too, including for a Fixed, so it's not like I don't know the razor pretty well. Now, that's not saying I know mine like Spike knows Spike's.

Oh, who can tell? I remember reading your discussion of the General at the Artists' Club. I'm beginning to think your wide range of razor experience is nearly unequalled around here.

As long as we're all skating along with good shaves all is well. Regardless of what we're using, right?

Hear hear.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday my shave was excellent.

5-25-18.640.MM.1912.OT..JPG

Really nice everything.

The Mighty Midget is probably the best $7 brush in history. Mine still has a bit of scritch, but it isn't worth mentioning except to be accurate in describing it. I like using it, and it performs above both its price point and its price. By miles.

It is perhaps the 6th use of the Blue Diamond in my old Old Type. Nice stuff.

Wickham 1912 is a really fine shaving soap. Right up there with the best I have.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Oh, who can tell? I remember reading your discussion of the General at the Artists' Club. I'm beginning to think your wide range of razor experience is nearly unequalled around here.

proxy.php

There are a great many gentlemen (and probably ladies, too, for that matter) who've tried dozens of razors I've not used.

proxy.php

I have used several injectors, but there are many I've not used. I've only used, in the AC platform, the SS General and the ATT SE1/SE2, and then, only with the Proline. I know of many DE razors I've never even seen. Then there are the known unknowns.

upload_2018-5-25_10-28-14.png

I'm pretty sure there are guys with a rotation larger than the entire group of razors I've heard of. Some guys have all the ATT razors, the Charcoal razors, the Timeless razors, Wolfman razors, and a huge number of expensive and fine vintage razors in all the platforms. Maybe some are in a competition?

Me, I'm only trying to please myself and keep my ancestors and descendants from being ashamed of me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

Really pretty 1946-1947 SS on eBay today. Not giving it away, but it is very nice. Not for auction, but Buy Now. About $80.

Here are my Super Speed razors.

SS.5-18.2.1947.1952.X4.640.JPG

The bottom razor is a 1952 X4. In real life it looks extremely good, as good as the one I talked about for sale on eBay I think.

The top razor is a 1947. I've not cleaned it up at all (nor the 1952). The 1947 is missing a little piece (a cover which goes on the bottom-side-end of the head and covers two little pieces of metal); the photo shows the other end which has the cover.

Anyway, those are my SS razors. I doubt I will ever get another SS. I have plans to one day use both of these at least once.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 885908

I'm finding my old Old Type much the same as the injectors in the ease of use department, and perhaps (probably) closer shaving. Here it is with the handle it came with, a handle I've never used. Maybe I should give this handle a try? It is very short, but not the shortest travel handle Gillette made; there's one shorter by the length of the neck of this handle and I have no clue how anybody used it. The shorter handle is about as long as the head is wide.

Happy shaves,

Jim[/QUOTE]

Forgot about this handle. Short enough for you?

LittleTravelRazor.Handle.5-18.640.JPG

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
In other words, thinking about using one scares the stuffing out of me.

Not the least bit scary Jim. I find my D2 flare tip SS a bit tedious and boring. Its a perfectly acceptable 3 pass BBS shaver with a Gillette Yellow, but I dont know, its just a bit blah to me for some reason. I never had that feeling using the Brit Rocket though. I suppose I might have given enough time, but its a superior razor in ever respect I think.

The 1947 is missing a little piece (a cover which goes on the bottom-side-end of the head and covers two little pieces of metal); the photo shows the other end which has the cover.

A missing end cap matters none. I'd guess of them both, if you found a difference between them, you may like the 47 a bit more, but I'm not sure I could tell them apart.

I'm pretty sure there are guys with a rotation larger than the entire group of razors I've heard of. Some guys have all the ATT razors, the Charcoal razors, the Timeless razors, Wolfman razors, and a huge number of expensive and fine vintage razors in all the platforms.

Yep that's me. I started out like you when I first joined this wonderful forum with the mindset for a better more comfortable shave, and now I have almost all of them (I don't want to know how many I have because I'm ashamed of myself ((I gave up counting after 250). The RAD is quite mad. However I know there are some collectors here with almost or more than a thousand (not naming names). It is an impossibility to have every single one made in history, but it doesn't hurt too much to have the "gotta get them all attitude ". The expense isn't too bad considering other more expensive hobbies like collecting cars.

Top Bottom