What's new

What's Cooking 2018?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We ended up doing the roast smothered with a simple side of turnip and mustard greens and bolillos for sopping.
20180513_183337.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That's some good looking stuff there Doak.

I just had some smoked sausage from my pig...par boiled for a bit then pan fried in a Griswold cast iron skillet.

DSC_0002.JPG

Also had some mac & cheese, with some Stubb's BBQ sauce on the sausage for a quick weeknight dinner.

DSC_0004 (2).JPG

Round two with the weekends Mojo Pork Shoulder...

Cubano Sandwich - sourdough bread, slices of grilled pork shoulder, slices of avocado, home canned dill pickles, triple cream brie, smoked ham, Kozlik Sweet & Smoky Mustard. Bread buttered on the outside of the sandwich then toasted in a panini press. Better then i anticipated, must have been hungry.

file.jpeg
IMG_E0130.JPG
IMG_E0132.JPG

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That's some good looking stuff there Doak.

I just had some smoked sausage from my pig...par boiled for a bit then pan fried in a Griswold cast iron skillet.

View attachment 883629

Also had some mac & cheese, with some Stubb's BBQ sauce on the sausage for a quick weeknight dinner.

View attachment 883630
For store bought, Stubb's is pretty good. It is my go-to sauce
Round two with the weekends Mojo Pork Shoulder...

Cubano Sandwich - sourdough bread, slices of grilled pork shoulder, slices of avocado, home canned dill pickles, triple cream brie, smoked ham, Kozlik Sweet & Smoky Mustard. Bread buttered on the outside of the sandwich then toasted in a panini press. Better then i anticipated, must have been hungry.

View attachment 883696 View attachment 883697 View attachment 883698
dave
That is a great looking sandwich. My wife brought up Montecristos at lunch today- I am looking forward to it. A good sandwich makes life more enjoyable.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The weather is cooling off down here so had a craving for some corned silverside, mash spuds, cabbage, carrots and some mustard sauce.

20180523_171306.jpg

Finally local asparagus at the farmers market and it only gets better here on in...

Just in time for my daughter who's off to Greece for a couple months tomorrow and would have missed the whole asparagus season.

Multi-whole grain bread, Swiss gruyere cheese, Black Forest Ham, asparagus spears into the panini press, then topped with grated parmesan, a fried egg and Cholula, she approved.

file.jpeg
file1.jpeg

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
First of the asparagus season is such a great treat.

Left overs from the corned silverside as bubble and squeak.

20180525_182631.jpg

Music playing for the meal....
I have been changing a few things on my stereo. Last week was the speaker cable and today I changed the RCA cable to the CD player to a better quality one. So much better. Cable management tomorrow.
Now my cell phone recording does not do it justice but here's what was playing anyway.

Last edited:
Picked up some lamb chops from LeClerc in the nearest small town to us, Loches. We had brought some home-made harissa with us and I mixed some of that, some crushed garlic, lemon juice, chopped coriander leaf and EVOO for a marinade.

Ideally I would have BBQ'd them but a lot of faffing about for 7 chops so just into the grill pan. Off camera there is some roasting cauliflower and a green salad. Plus a very nice Bandol rose... Music from the local radio station, Graffic (106.1 FM)

IMG_2506.JPG

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Picked up some lamb chops from LeClerc in the nearest small town to us, Loches. We had brought some home-made harissa with us and I mixed some of that, some crushed garlic, lemon juice, chopped coriander leaf and EVOO for a marinade.

Ideally I would have BBQ'd them but a lot of faffing about for 7 chops so just into the grill pan. Off camera there is some roasting cauliflower and a green salad. Plus a very nice Bandol rose... Music from the local radio station, Graffic (106.1 FM)

View attachment 886098

Love me some lamb chops. Home made harissa, do tell.

Rented a car for the weekend so today was non-stop running to garden centres, delivering tomato plants to family and other errands.

Needed something quick and easy for dinner... grilled, gas grilled a blade steak that had been air drying in the fridge since Thursday, EVOO, salt and peppered before grilling. Smashed mini yellow fleshed potatoes with lemon, garlic & parsley. Lightly steamed local asparagus spears, i like it crunchy, butter, salt & pepper.

Dessert - Pie of our fresh rhubarb & last summer's frozen blackberries, lard crust...

Wine - happened upon a Mexican wine and had never had one so why not - L.A. Cetto, Petite Sirah 2015, worked well and the price was about right

Music - Hypermusic, a comp cd that came with an issue of Uncut magazine, only knew of three of the fifteen artists featured;
Grandaddy
Laetitia Sadier
Craig Finn
Hurray for the Riff Raff
British Sea Power
Laura Marling
Ron Gallo
Nadia Reid
The Magnetic Fields
Samantha Crane
Sheer Mag
Hayes McMullan
Real Estate
Alasdair Roberts
Arbouretum

file.jpeg
file2.jpeg
file3.jpeg

dave

Another day on the flower trail and another handful of aaparagus to process.

Last one of these was for my daughter this time for my wife and me. Sourdough bread, Belle Creme a triple cream brie and for meat, the name escapes me at the moment and never tried it before, a Germain cured meat similar to prosciutto but smoked so bacon/prosciutto, really tasty, will be buying this again... Panini press to toast, make it crispy.

Tap water on tap.

Double chocolate decadent ice cream bar - Magnum maybe?

Music - The Decemberists, I'll Be Your Girl

file1.jpeg
file2.jpeg
file3.jpeg
file.jpeg

dave

Cheers guys! France has been good this trip, we usually have lousy weather but until today it's been sunny and warm. Today as we are leaving, it's drizzling so good job we have a tumble dryer(!)

Harissa: dried chilli, red pepper (capsicum), garlic, coriander seed, caraway seed, salt and pepper. Grind or blitz it, then fry in a little oil until fragrant. Adjust the chillis for hotness.

Last night I used it in a sort of chicken stew, fried off chunks of chicken, then set aside. Softened some sliced onion, red pepper and carrots (using up what's left!) and then 2 tablespoons harissa. A splash of rose as that's what I was drinking and some stock, then simmered for 25-30 mins. Added some creme fraiche to thicken, and served with boiled spuds tossed in butter. And a very decent Paulliac. No music, watching the last stage of the Giro, go Froomey!

Top Bottom