What's new

.45-70 musings

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ah. :a14: If they gave that rifle to me, I'd craft some mousefart/gallery loads.

I do shoot 8mm, .30-06, 303 Brit, 7.7 Arisaka and others with a steel butt plate ... and one of those LIMBSAVERS ... and sometimes my jacket wadded up underneath, too.

AA

8mm Mauser or 8mm Remington? The 8mm Mauser isnt bad, but the big remmy can be.

I've shot a .270 Browning BBR more than anything and my father gave my brother in law a Browning B78 in 30-06 when I moved to Alberta in 1982. Falling block, 26" hexagon barrel. I still have the little brother in .22-250. Both will shoot, but every time I pulled the trigger on that '06 the Monte Carlo stock slapped me right in the face lol. Beautiful rifles though.

When I was load testing my Sako TRG-S .338 Lapua with the 230 grain Fail Safe and Sierra 250 grain Game Kings I made a shoulder pad from 1/2" high density foam, folded in half and duct taped together. The recoil from the Fail Safe load was so violent, it ripped that pad through the top layer on the 3rd shot from the bench.

I developed 3 loads for that rifle. A 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3500fps. The 230 grain Winchester Fail Safe at 3150fps and the 250 grain Sierra at 3030.

The 350lb Black Bear I shot at 40 yards with the Ballistic Tip was suitably impressed. 4" entrance that broke 4 ribs and failed to exit. Lungs and heart were jello.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
8mm Mauser or 8mm Remington? The 8mm Mauser isnt bad, but the big remmy can be.

I do the milsurp thing, and have a number of WWII-vintage Mausers ... Oberndorf, Sauer und Sohns, etc.

I do load and cast for 8mm Mauser. Although I got a (figurative) ton of Yugo ammo when it was .05/round delivered with a free FR8 bayonet.

Not a recoil junkie here. I have even worked up TrailBoss loads for most of my centerfire milsurps, when there was no data. But hey; it's hard to blow up a Mauser.

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I do the milsurp thing, and have a number of WWII-vintage Mausers ... Oberndorf, Sauer und Sohns, etc.

I do load and cast for 8mm Mauser. Although I got a (figurative) ton of Yugo ammo when it was .05/round delivered with a free FR8 bayonet.

Not a recoil junkie here. I have even worked up TrailBoss loads for most of my centerfire milsurps, when there was no data. But hey; it's hard to blow up a Mauser.

AA

A friend that I use to do a lot of chuck hunting with shot a 6.5mm in a Swedish Mauser. Sierra 85 grain hollow points sure did the trick. Accurate rifle too.

FFCB9C2A-AE01-4493-843D-7BB7FEC40BC7.jpeg
8C948F46-3C55-478C-96CE-17BE9BCF139C.jpeg
“That gun belongs in a Quentin Tarantino movie!”

Actually here are a couple pictures of Quentin’s personal rig...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A friend that I use to do a lot of chuck hunting with shot a 6.5mm in a Swedish Mauser. Sierra 85 grain hollow points sure did the trick. Accurate rifle too.

One that I don't have! Though I reload 6.5x50sr Arisaka...

AA

One that I don't have! Though I reload 6.5x50sr Arisaka...

AA
You are missing a lot not having a Swede! I have six full length and one short rifle, and then there is the Husqvarna sporter in 9.3x57, a 1929 vintage rifle built on what is identical to the M94/96 Swedish Mauser action, but a classic 1920's European sporter.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You are missing a lot not having a Swede! I have six full length and one short rifle, and then there is the Husqvarna sporter in 9.3x57, a 1929 vintage rifle built on what is identical to the M94/96 Swedish Mauser action, but a classic 1920's European sporter.

I know it! But I vacuumed up most of my milsurps when they were a lot more affordable ... $100 Arisakas, $79 Mosins ... Last gunshow Swede was like $400, and worth it, I'm sure....

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
@As Astra I like the double buscadero holsters with the silver studs and buckles along with the nickle plated, pearl handle sixguns that Roy Rogers wore. You know, the authentic kind like they really used in the Old West. :)

Gunbelts and Holsters

Although Emmett Dalton did have a pretty fancy rig...I think I saw the original at the museum in Coffeville.

proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@As Astra I like the double buscadero holsters with the silver studs and buckles along with the nickle plated, pearl handle sixguns that Roy Rogers wore. You know, the authentic kind like they really used in the Old West. :)

Gunbelts and Holsters

Although Emmett Dalton did have a pretty fancy rig...I think I saw the original at the museum in Coffeville.

proxy.php

Neat link.

I remember reading about the Duke's SAA rigs ...

AA

I know it! But I vacuumed up most of my milsurps when they were a lot more affordable ... $100 Arisakas, $79 Mosins ... Last gunshow Swede was like $400, and worth it, I'm sure....

AA
I hear you. I bought mine relatively cheap also. Swiss K 31s at $69-79, after the first one at a gun show for 125 and it turned out to have hidden under the grime and beaver chewed buttstock some of the best wood I have seen in a rifle, milsurp or custom civilian. Swedes also at good prices, up to around $200, but again at a gun show, 125 for a 1900 made by Mauser Obendorf for the Swedes, this one with an all matching 2 digit serial number. I even got in a group buy on one of the Swiss rifle forums and we imported some and I got what looks like a new in box 1911 Schmidt Rubin for 225. These earlier mention K 31 rifles art going for over 400 now, makes me wish I had purchased a dozen or so

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I hear you. I bought mine relatively cheap also. Swiss K 31s at $69-79, after the first one at a gun show for 125 and it turned out to have hidden under the grime and beaver chewed buttstock some of the best wood I have seen in a rifle, milsurp or custom civilian. Swedes also at good prices, up to around $200, but again at a gun show, 125 for a 1900 made by Mauser Obendorf for the Swedes, this one with an all matching 2 digit serial number. I even got in a group buy on one of the Swiss rifle forums and we imported some and I got what looks like a new in box 1911 Schmidt Rubin for 225. These earlier mention K 31 rifles art going for over 400 now, makes me wish I had purchased a dozen or so

I forgot the K-31s. I hand picked mine in Samcos Miami showroom, think they were $129 beech, $139 walnut. They had pallets of them ...

:001_302: I have a couple.

AA

I forgot the K-31s. I hand picked mine in Samcos Miami showroom, think they were $129 beech, $139 walnut. They had pallets of them ...

:001_302: I have a couple.

AA
That would have been fantastic. Unfortunately nothing like that within two or 3 days drive for me. I was simply lucky in picking up that one at the gun show. It had the typical beaver chewed stock, with finish totally clouded from age, a 1942 model. I carefully stripped and scraped it down and was pleased to find a beautiful piece of flame grained walnut. I suspect a stock blank of that quality would probably go for 700-800.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I may have even gotten one from AIM for even less ... $89?

Only took one K-31 apart, but sure enough, it had a slip of paper under the butt plate with the Swiss soldier's name. I made a thread about it in another forum.

They are beauties. Should get one out more ...

AA

Top Bottom