What's new

Mosquito Repellent

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That's a great picture and I appreciate you sharing some good memories. I grew up (partly) in Texas and I am an avid angler.

I owe you an apology. I am sorry for jumping to conclusions. I truly am. Once again, Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,
Jason

Thats ok Jason. Come to the Mess Hall sometime and share with us your favorite fish recipe. We need them.

I Wanted to offer up another option I haven't seen mentioned yet: Dryer sheets, that's right, a friend in the forestry business swears by them. I've tried it but can't come to a definitive verdict yet. At the very least you'll smell good. Tuck a dryer sheet in a shirt pocket and in a hat brim
I've also tried this a few times but only to keep sand gnats away. For those, I don't think it works. Maybe it does for other types of bugs.

We spent the weekend in northern Wisconsin at our cabin putting our docks in the water, raking and doing general spring clean up. The skeeters were THICK. I had just received the Repel Eucalyptus Lemon Oil earlier in the week, so I sprayed it on, and it sure did do a good job of keeping them at bay. It has a strong scent, although it is not unpleasant. It worked so well that everyone else was using it and we went through a whole bottle of it. I haven't received the Sawyers Fishermans formula yet so I was unable to compare the two, but I did order some more of the Repel this morning.

If I'm going somewhere notorious for mosquitoes I usually pick up whatever is on sale. Generally though I eat a pretty varied diet with lots of spices which seems to make me smell not as delicious compared to other people in my family, such as my sister.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Get a ThermaCell and don't look back. It is a portable unit. I use it in the stand or out fishing, or just sitting out on the deck. Keeps them away. You can find them at the big box stores in the sporting goods section.

This sounds pretty good. Which model do you have?

We spent the weekend in northern Wisconsin at our cabin putting our docks in the water, raking and doing general spring clean up. The skeeters were THICK. I had just received the Repel Eucalyptus Lemon Oil earlier in the week, so I sprayed it on, and it sure did do a good job of keeping them at bay. It has a strong scent, although it is not unpleasant. It worked so well that everyone else was using it and we went through a whole bottle of it. I haven't received the Sawyers Fishermans formula yet so I was unable to compare the two, but I did order some more of the Repel this morning.

We usually spend some time around Minocqua with a group of friends every June. We are instantly greeted by every mosquito in Oneida County upon arrival. Deep Woods Off works pretty well on exposed skin, but I need something better. I'm thinking of spraying our clothing with Permethrin. It's supposed to be safe for humans, but deadly for insects.

I usually don't use anything. I had heard before that making garlic a regular ingredient in meals helps to keep mosquitoes and ticks away, which I do, and I'm rarely bothered by anything. I can't say that it is in fact the garlic though. Keeping with the garlic, I took a garlic supplement for a few weeks before I went to Senegal (a lot of mosquitoes) and wasn't bothered by many mosquitoes while there.

An oscillating fan on the deck will keep most mosquitoes away. They are weak flyers, so if there is a regular breeze, you'll be bite free

To follow up, I have now had a chance to try and compare both the Repel Eucalyptus Lemon and Sawyers Fishermans Formula. Just returned from a Canada fishing trip and had a weeks worth of fairly heavy Mosquitos to fend off. Bottom line, I think they both work well, I wouldn't say one worked better than the other, but I prefer the Sawyers. The Repel has a strong scent, not unpleasant but very prominent, everyone around will know you have it on. The Sawyers is almost odorless to my nose, and for that reason will be my ongoing product of choice.

proxy.php

^^^THIS^^^

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
They'rrrreeee baaaack.

Here are two products that I'm now using. I like the yard sticks when I'm grillin' or smoking meats. They last about 4 hours. As for the Coleman, works great and not greasy.

61yWTVT4UAL._SL1078_.jpg
61u9+ynH4xL._SL1500_.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Got both Sawyers 20% Pic and the Sawyers permerethin, too.

Also DWO 40% DEET. Those chiggers gave me leg scars last time ... fool me once, eh.

There's *no way* I'd leave it to anything organic, "green" or environmentally-friendly. I'm calling in an airstrike!

I remember one camping trip where people using Skin-So-Soft were begging me for the DEET. You save the world, sucker- I'm killing bugs.

AA

A friend says he uses used, dried coffee grounds to keep bugs away. He puts it in a coffee can or similar container, sprays some charcoal lighter to it, and then burns it. I haven't tried it, yet.

Currently I’m using this. I’m not sure about mosquitos. But women and children usually run.

image.jpg
I’m just kidding of course. DEET is the way to go for sure. I never go trout fishing or camping without it. If you forget it one time you will always remember that trip for sure.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Although we have a significant mosquito population in SE Louisiana, I am vexed more by deer flies around my property. Those suckers hurt, not just itch (they itch to). We also get the occasional horse fly, usually when out at the pool. I usually wait until I'm getting bit before I put anything on, so it's hard to judge the effectiveness, but I use either a DEET product or Skin So Soft.

Top Bottom