What's new

Fitting an Arko stick into a shaving mug

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm, I used the Arko puck/bowl today, and no matter which form, the soap takes, what a great, lemony, lather!

Arko may be a bit overlooked these days, but it's like 10x better than that other popular cheap lemony soap ...

AA

I wasn't getting any good lather from Arko soap at first, also the industrial cleaner smell was extreme. I bought it a year ago for giggles and kept it as decoration in my kit. Week ago I was bored and decided to give it a go. Today on my shave #3 the smell was gone, even though I didn't air it out, transferred to a tub and kept it closed. Only the soapy lemony smell now remains (quite acceptable, refreshing), and the lather I got really lives up to its reputation that I keep reading about. YUGE, slick, pasty, yoghurty, dense, peaky, cushiony.

The process. I bloomed it, didn't throw the bloom water, loaded the very wet Omega 49 like a **** straight in the tub with soap and bloom water, and I bowl lathered hard. I thought too much bloom water will make it runny sludge, but oh man, it took at least x2 extra water and made great lather. I can easily tell if it can take more water by how much the brush sticks to the bottom when you pump up-down to test it.

proxy.php

(see photo) I have at least half that much on my santa face, covering the grin as I'm snapping a pic. I stuccoed 3 layers on my face and I can keep going. There is no way you can get it this good by just rubbing the stick on your face and face lathering. Loading from a tub (that reused hand cream tub with open lid), blooming, bowl lathering, just takes it to another level. And I didn't even use a nice round bowl with ridges.

I find only creams acceptable for face lathering, and only if I'm not in the mood to go full ritual. Rubbing a soap stick on my face feels like I'm shaving in the airplane bathroom. I wouldn't take one even for vacation. Tubs rule IMO.

Last edited:
I grated up the 2 sticks I had and pressed it firmly into a mug. It works as well as if it had always been a solid puck... no worries. Arko is such a versatile soap!

Top Bottom