What's new

The ROCKWELL 6s Razor Tour Pass-Around.....

Dear all Rockwell 6s users,
Besides the adjustability of Rockwell 6s,
how do you compare Rockwell 6s razors with ATT ones?
They are all made with SS, but ATT seems to have better build quality.
Thank you.

Dear all Rockwell 6s users,
Besides the adjustability of Rockwell 6s,
how do you compare Rockwell 6s razors with ATT ones?
They are all made with SS, but ATT seems to have better build quality.
Thank you.

For me, the difference is smoothness and forgiveness. I have the Atlas R2 and M1 solid bar. Beautiful, well built razors. I've always said the Atlas handle is the best I've ever used (completely "slip proof"). The R2 has efficiency in spades. Where the two razors separate is in the area of "forgiveability". I can tool around my face using the 6s and one of the middle plates while contemplating the origins of the universe, as I often do in the fog of an early morning shave (in fact, I type this after just completing one). I could not do that with the R2.

I discovered that by using a shim above the cutting blade, the R2 is tamed immensely. Almost, but not quite as smooth as I prefer. There were several threads by R2 owners in which the topic of shimming to tame it came about. I don't know from a design perspective why such a difference between razors exists. The ATT is wonderfully machined and a work of art. The 6s is a metal injection molded, mass produced razor that looks like it would fit right in with a ratchet handle in a tool box. But the way the 6s makes the job of shaving so much smoother and easier can't be understated in my particular experience.

The R2 configured with a top shim:

proxy.php

proxy.php

For me, the difference is smoothness and forgiveness. I have the Atlas R2 and M1 solid bar. Beautiful, well built razors. I've always said the Atlas handle is the best I've ever used (completely "slip proof"). The R2 has efficiency in spades. Where the two razors separate is in the area of "forgiveability". I can tool around my face using the 6s and one of the middle plates while contemplating the origins of the universe, as I often do in the fog of an early morning shave (in fact, I type this after just completing one). I could not do that with the R2.

I discovered that by using a shim above the cutting blade, the R2 is tamed immensely. Almost, but not quite as smooth as I prefer. There were several threads by R2 owners in which the topic of shimming to tame it came about. I don't know from a design perspective why such a difference between razors exists. The ATT is wonderfully machined and a work of art. The 6s is a metal injection molded, mass produced razor that looks like it would fit right in with a ratchet handle in a tool box. But the way the 6s makes the job of shaving so much smoother and easier can't be understated in my particular experience.

The R2 configured with a top shim:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thank you, @Highspeedlane.
Your opinions help me a lot.
I just can't imagine R2's aggressiveness.
From your very valuable experiences,
I think ATT s1 could be a razor with both craftsmanship, smoothness, and efficiency.

Second shave

Prep: Hot shower
Blade: GSB (3)
Cream: T&H Ulitmate Comfort
Brush: Yaqi 24mm 2 band badger

I can see a drawback to this razor: it's so efficient & gives such great shave, it's hard for me to get enough growth to shave after 20 hours. I needed to shave & couldn't wait for a full 24 hours.

Yesterday I started with plate 4 for the first pass & switched to plate 5 for the 2nd & 3rd pass. Today I started with plate 5 for the first pass today. Smooth & great feedback, I could easily hear the hairs getting cut. And the handle... great feel & balance. With the knurling in the handle there's no way I'll be getting any Paul Simon Slip Sliding Away holding onto that handle!

After my first pass WTG I felt great, but there were stray areas needing a 2nd pass. My difficult areas are my chin & neck. Rinse & re-lather. Switch to plate 6 for the 2nd pass. Oh my, that upped the game! XTG, I could feel the blade, no doubt. But still smooth. Something amazing to me from yesterday & today, switching plates I still instantly find the correct angle with this razor. Plate 6 reduced the remaining growth except for a few areas on my neck. Rinse & re-lather for ATG for my final pass. A little buffing at the end & I have a superb shave. Plate 6 has more bite to it than 5, I felt some burn, I'll be honest.

Finished off with cold rinse, alum, witch hazel, then Barrister & Mann Cool Reserve AS.

2nd impressions: this is a superb razor! It's well made & gives a great shave, even to a newbie like me!

Tomorrow I'll go down a few plates & maybe try plate 4 then switch to plate 3 to see what it's like to go less aggressive on the 2nd & 3rd pass.

Awesome reports.. Thanks.

I totally agree about the razor almost finding its own angle. Its a great instrument as you have said.

3rd Shave

Blade: GSB (4)
Cream: Ultimate Comfort

I think after 2 shaves I already found the plates that are my sweet spot for daily usage, but want to keep putting this razor thru more hoops so decided to start with plate 4 for the 1st pass & go down to plate 3 for the 2nd & 3rd passes. I've read numerous threads of people starting more aggressive & going milder with subsequent passes, & a minority of threads going more aggressive with subsequent passes. After my first 2 shaves I like going more aggressive & today I'm going to go milder.

Lathered up & started with plate 4. The balance & feel of the handle is very nice. It's heavy enough but not too heavy, & the balance lets me maneuver the razor easily. Plate 4 is a nice starting point for me as I glide through the first pass. The razor provides feedback as it cuts the hair, noticeable but not overbearing. I have a mustache so I can't comment on some users stating the head is too big to navigate below the nose. Plate 4 is reducing the hair efficiently & I'm thinking I could leave the 4 plate on the entire shave & have a very nice shave. But I want to try a milder plate, so I rinse, re-lather, & change to plate 3.

2nd & 3rd pass with plate 3 was not as efficient, IMHO. I had to work more at getting hair reduced further than when I used a more aggressive plate on the 2nd & 3rd pass. As I think through the mechanics of cutting on subsequent passes, it makes sense to me to use more aggressive plates, not milder plates, YMMV.

I had to buff multiple areas today & I attribute that to using plate 3. My skin felt it after the many buffings. I generally wouldn't buff so much, but I wanted to see what it would take to get a comparable shave to my first two shaves with this razor. It took a lot more work & effort, & my skin paid the price. My alum highlighted my neck, jaw line, chin, & each corner of my lips. Witch hazel, then OldSpice Classic AS.

Overall, a very good shave, but I had to work as hard as I do with my EJ de89 to get it. I'm looking for a more efficient razor than my EJ, so the combination I used today will not be repeated. IMHO, the EJ de89 is somewhere between plate 3 & 4 if I had to say where it is on the efficiency & aggressiveness compared to the 6S. I think my sweet spot is plate 4 changing to plate 5. I could see myself using plate 4 or plate 5 & not switching plates during the shave. I'll try that in the next few shaves to determine which of those 2 I like most. This is a very nice razor & I'm very happy I get to participate in this pass around. I've learned what a great shave feels like & I plan to continue working towards that. I'm not obsessed with BBS, I just want a comfortable shave I'm happy with & feel good with.

Until next time.

Last edited:
3rd Shave

Blade: GSB (4)

I think after 2 shaves I already found the plates that are my sweet spot for daily usage, but want to keep putting this razor thru more hoops so decided to start with plate 4 for the 1st pass & go down to plate 3 for the 2nd & 3rd passes. I've read numerous threads of people starting more aggressive & going milder with subsequent passes, & a minority of threads going more aggressive with subsequent passes. After my first 2 shaves I like going more aggressive & today I'm going to go milder.

Lathered up & started with plate 4. The balance & feel of the handle is very nice. It's heavy enough but not too heavy, & the balance lets me maneuver the razor easily. Plate 4 is a nice starting point for me as I glide through the first pass. The razor provides feedback as it cuts the hair, noticeable but not overbearing. I have a mustache so I can't comment on some users stating the head is too big to navigate below the nose. Plate 4 is reducing the hair efficiently & I'm thinking I could leave the 4 plate on the entire shave & have a very nice shave. But I want to try a milder plate, so I rinse, re-lather, & change to plate 3.

2nd & 3rd pass with plate 3 was not as efficient, IMHO. I had to work more at getting hair reduced further than when I used a more aggressive plate on the 2nd & 3rd pass. As I think through the mechanics of cutting on subsequent passes, it makes sense to me to use more aggressive plates, not milder plates, YMMV.

I had to buff multiple areas today & I attribute that to using plate 3. My skin felt it after the many buffings. I generally wouldn't buff so much, but I wanted to see what it would take to get a comparable shave to my first two shaves with this razor. It took a lot more work & effort, & my skin paid the price. My alum highlighted my neck, jaw line, chin, & each corner of my lips. Witch hazel, then OldSpice Classic AS.

Overall, a very good shave, but I had to work as hard as I do with my EJ de89 to get it. I'm looking for a more efficient razor than my EJ, so the combination I used today will not be repeated. IMHO, the EJ de89 is somewhere between plate 3 & 4 if I had to say where it is on the efficiency & aggressiveness compared to the 6S. I think my sweet spot is plate 4 changing to plate 5. I could see myself using plate 4 or plate 5 & not switching plates during the shave. I'll try that in the next few shaves to determine which of those 2 I like most. This is a very nice razor & I'm very happy I get to participate in this pass around. I've learned what a great shave feels like & I plan to continue working towards that. I'm not obsessed with BBS, I just want a comfortable shave I'm happy with I feel good with.

Until next time.

I also have had good results increasing in efficiency rather than decreasing for subsequent passes, and this is in large part due to a spot I have underneath the chin. If I want that area BBS, I have to go ATG while stretching the skin and only a fairly efficient razor/blade will do the trick. Anything else and the stubble starts reappearing much faster than I prefer. Great report and good results.

@dmshaver Great report. The plate switching method of acquiring a close shave seems like the way to go. I didn't use the razor that way, but as I read your (and other's) reviews, that seems to be the approach. I too use the EJDE89 as my Daily, and beginning the search for something different (although not quite knowing what differences I want/need) is something I've been contemplating. But I think I will do a Fixxed4 in order to better develop the ability to judge a razor, vs my ability, blade, etc. to provide an excellent shave.

Informative report! Thanks for taking the time.

@JimDandy I’m in the same boat you are. I realize my EJ de89 provides a good shave, but not as smooth or efficient as I would like. Once I send the Rockwell 6S on its way after my week with it, I’m going to return to my Fixed 4 to continue learning and improving my technique. Once I’m ready to buy a razor, it seems the two razors in the running are the Rockwell (6S or 6SC) and the Karve. I think this might be a case where either will be an excellent choice, will just have to wait and see which one I decide on.

4th Shave

Prep: Hot Shower
Glade: GSB (5)

Decided to go with just plate 5 for all passes today. I wasn't particularly happy with the amount of work & effort it too yesterday with plates 4 & 3.

Plate 5 cuts cleanly through my days growth as it glides over my T&H Ultimate Comfort. As I approach the end of my first pass I feel along my neck line & find the pesky areas along my jaw line still has that stubble. The growth/grain patterns on my neck go every which way. I contemplate upping to plate 6 for my next pass but decide I want to see if I can find one plate I can use as a daily driver. Passes 2 & 3 occur (keeping plate 5) after rinsing & re-lathering. This is certainly a smooth, efficient shave, I like plate 5. If only I had better technique I think it would shave better around my neck. Oh well, that's something I have the pleasure of learning as I continue this de odyssey. In the meantime I'll try plate 6 tomorrow.

After touch ups, the alum certainly let me know I need to work on technique on my neck. Any pointers from any of you would be appreciated!

Finished off with witch hazel & Stirling Sharp Dressed Man AS.

This is a great way to get to know a razor, thank you Glazed Boker! Three more shaves to go!

4th Shave

Prep: Hot Shower
Glade: GSB (5)

Decided to go with just plate 5 for all passes today. I wasn't particularly happy with the amount of work & effort it too yesterday with plates 4 & 3.

Plate 5 cuts cleanly through my days growth as it glides over my T&H Ultimate Comfort. As I approach the end of my first pass I feel along my neck line & find the pesky areas along my jaw line still has that stubble. The growth/grain patterns on my neck go every which way. I contemplate upping to plate 6 for my next pass but decide I want to see if I can find one plate I can use as a daily driver. Passes 2 & 3 occur (keeping plate 5) after rinsing & re-lathering. This is certainly a smooth, efficient shave, I like plate 5. If only I had better technique I think it would shave better around my neck. Oh well, that's something I have the pleasure of learning as I continue this de odyssey. In the meantime I'll try plate 6 tomorrow.

After touch ups, the alum certainly let me know I need to work on technique on my neck. Any pointers from any of you would be appreciated!

Finished off with witch hazel & Stirling Sharp Dressed Man AS.

This is a great way to get to know a razor, thank you Glazed Boker! Three more shaves to go!

The neck is a bear to shave. I have a chevron pattern on mine that heads towards my ears. From jawline to Adam’s apple, the hairs grow mostly down and towards the ear. From base of my neck up to Adam’s apple, they feel upwards and towards my ears. At the Adam’s apple they grow every which way. Between chin and Adam’s apple in that narrow strip, they grow straight down, opposite from base of neck up to Adam’s apple. It’s important to understand your beard map and how the grain goes (for me at least). Mostly I do XTG stuff, as nothing is easily done WTG on my neck. First pass I go jawline to the crossover downwards, then flip the razor and go base of neck to crossover upwards. Second pass I go ear to middle basically straight line.

To shave it smooth, I have to do a lot of skin flattening. Oddly though, I also have to relax my skin. One pass of each. To relax the skin, I force my neck into a double chin. Some gents call this bullfrogging (can search in the forum for it). This is completely necessary to get the majority of the hair under my jawline gone. If I skip this, I can buff all day and never get the whiskers. I’ve suggested it to at least one other gent who reported good success with it. Worth a shot.

@Johnnynroy Thank you for your suggestion, I’ll try bullfrogging. Stretching my skin certainly isn’t getting the job done. I’m getting razor burn from all the buffing. I relax my skin some of the time but I just need to bullfrog more. I appreciate your help.

Updated list:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-chaturvedi11 (completed)
-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (completed)
-Johnnynroy (completed)
-himself62 (completed)
-valthun (completed)
-danlaw (Completed)
-Cg006 (completed)
-ShavePastor (completed)
-03Jarhead (completed)
-captnronfl (completed)
-Griever (completed)
-jldallas (completed)
-Dfoulk (completed)
-kxthor (completed)
-Graydog (completed)
-Grundi (completed)
-Cut Throat (completed)
-Newmania (completed)
-Dave in Ky (completed)
-dezmil (completed)
-JimDandy (completed-shipped)
-dmshaver (in-hand testing)
-Ray Settanta (on deck)
-Gorris (in the hole)
-Odenihy

A new participant has been added to the list, @Odenihy.
Keep those shave reports coming Gents. Get your shave on... :shaving:

Fifth shave

Prep: Hot shave
Blade: GSB (6)
Cream: T & H Ultimate Comfort

I was getting ready to start my shower when my timetable got moved up by an hour. Instead of having an hour and a half before I needed to leave, I now had to leave in 30 minutes. Yikes! My mindset for this shave suddenly changed, but I think it was for the better. I was able to see how the Rockwell 6S managed for a quick shave instead of the leisurely shaves I’ve had the past four times.

I quickly showered and hopped out, dried off, and made my lather. While I was in the shower I decided this shave was going to be only with plate 5. I’m in a hurry and I want to see how good this razor & plate is.

I did the Gillette slide on my cheeks to save time and I was impressed with how well it cut through and left my cheeks, chin, and jaw line smooth. Per @Johnnynroy’s suggestion, I bullfroged my neck and got a much better shave around those tough areas, thank you! A little j hooking around my adams apple and the first pass was very nice.
Second pass was XTG and when I finished I had a very smooth shave. The Rockwell performed admirably! This razor in a hurry was easy to use, & provided me with an irritation free very smooth shave. The alum block gave no stinging. I followed that with witch hazel, and then some good ol’ Old Spice Classic.

I was out the door in less than 30 minutes. This Rockwell razor is earning lots of points in my book. Enjoyable, as well as providing an excellent shave.

Plate 5 was the ideal plate for me to use in this situation. The flexibility of the various plates this razor offers allows for many different types of shaving experiences, based on your needs at the moment.

Enjoy your evening everyone!

@dmshaver these are awesome thoughts. I had never heard of bullfrogging until i I read @Johnnynroy post about it. I’ll have to try that.

I agree there is a shift in the approach to a shave when one has restrictions on time. Glad to hear the Rockwell seems to excel under pressure.

Thanks again!

Fifth shave

Prep: Hot shave
Blade: GSB (6)
Cream: T & H Ultimate Comfort

I was getting ready to start my shower when my timetable got moved up by an hour. Instead of having an hour and a half before I needed to leave, I now had to leave in 30 minutes. Yikes! My mindset for this shave suddenly changed, but I think it was for the better. I was able to see how the Rockwell 6S managed for a quick shave instead of the leisurely shaves I’ve had the past four times.

I quickly showered and hopped out, dried off, and made my lather. While I was in the shower I decided this shave was going to be only with plate 5. I’m in a hurry and I want to see how good this razor & plate is.

I did the Gillette slide on my cheeks to save time and I was impressed with how well it cut through and left my cheeks, chin, and jaw line smooth. Per @Johnnynroy’s suggestion, I bullfroged my neck and got a much better shave around those tough areas, thank you! A little j hooking around my adams apple and the first pass was very nice.
Second pass was XTG and when I finished I had a very smooth shave. The Rockwell performed admirably! This razor in a hurry was easy to use, & provided me with an irritation free very smooth shave. The alum block gave no stinging. I followed that with witch hazel, and then some good ol’ Old Spice Classic.

I was out the door in less than 30 minutes. This Rockwell razor is earning lots of points in my book. Enjoyable, as well as providing an excellent shave.

Plate 5 was the ideal plate for me to use in this situation. The flexibility of the various plates this razor offers allows for many different types of shaving experiences, based on your needs at the moment.

Enjoy your evening everyone!

The 6s is my work-day shaver for exactly those reasons. Excellent results :thumbsup:

When your prep is a Hot Shave the shave should go quick. Just kidding, you must have been in a hurry when typing. Nice observations. My new to me Rockwell 6s arrived yesterday as after my swing at the bat here I was impressed enough to want one in my line up regularly. Thanks for the reviews.

Sixth shave

Blade: GSB(7)
Crane: T & H Ultimate Comfort
Brush: Yaqi 24mm to band badger

I have enjoyed my time with this razor. I’m using it as a daily driver, so today I did a 2 pass shave with plate 6. It was smooth and cut cleanly. With plate 6 I didn’t feel like I was exfoliating several layers of my skin as well as reducing my beard. It was a comfortable shave, no irritation or razor burn. I attribute some of that to the cream which is outstanding, IMHO.

The razor gave good feedback and in 2 passes I had an outstanding shave. Plates 6 is smooth & efficient. There was no stinging or feedback with my alum, and I finished off with witch hazel then Barrister & Mann Cool Reserve AS.

Another enjoyable shave in the books with the Rockwell 6S. If I buy a 6S or 6C, I will probably primarily use plates 5 & 6, & occasionally #4. I can see why this thread has so many examples of people buying one after test driving it. It is an exceptional razor.

Sixth shave

Blade: GSB(7)
Crane: T & H Ultimate Comfort
Brush: Yaqi 24mm to band badger

I have enjoyed my time with this razor. I’m using it as a daily driver, so today I did a 2 pass shave with plate 6. It was smooth and cut cleanly. With plate 6 I didn’t feel like I was exfoliating several layers of my skin as well as reducing my beard. It was a comfortable shave, no irritation or razor burn. I attribute some of that to the cream which is outstanding, IMHO.

The razor gave good feedback and in 2 passes I had an outstanding shave. Plates 6 is smooth & efficient. There was no stinging or feedback with my alum, and I finished off with witch hazel then Barrister & Mann Cool Reserve AS.

Another enjoyable shave in the books with the Rockwell 6S. If I buy a 6S or 6C, I will probably primarily use plates 5 & 6, & occasionally #4. I can see why this thread has so many examples of people buying one after test driving it. It is an exceptional razor.

:thumbsup: Superb write ups and descriptions on your individual shaves. Bravo.... :a14:

Top Bottom