What's new

Artists' Club

And I am still thoroughly loving the ShearsDirect kami.
Refreshed the Feather Pro using towelling as suggested by @Lmarkow for a good 13th shave on that blade:
8A2647E3-4064-42BD-8F01-F2216A576F58.jpeg

Now this razor is beginning to feel familiar in the hand it’s such a pleasure to use!

Just loaded the last blade (number 20) from the Pro Super dispenser I bought 2 years ago this month. Of course I've used several other blades in the meantime, but Pro Supers are my gold standard in terms of results and longevity. 3017!

Just loaded the last blade (number 20) from the Pro Super dispenser I bought 2 years ago this month. Of course I've used several other blades in the meantime, but Pro Supers are my gold standard in terms of results and longevity. 3017!
That’s very good to hear!
Especially now that I’ve started stropping them it’s becoming clear that these Artist Club Blades really are the true quality shaving that they claim to be.

That’s very good to hear!
Especially now that I’ve started stropping them it’s becoming clear that these Artist Club Blades really are the true quality shaving that they claim to be.
Nothing better, as far as I'm concerned. Hard to believe it's been 2 full years since I've used anything else, but, truth is, I've never looked back.

Wow, just found this forum!!
I got my first AC razor, Asylum Rx, and began using it on 2/20.
I haven't even looked at any of my DEs since then. I look forward to reading all the pages for the last
few months!!

Back to the Artist Club safety razors for me over the past couple of days - it was late and I needed some fast efficient shaves so it was time for the Alumigoose v1 and the ATT SE1.

The Alumigoose v1 is like the 2011 R41 of SEs.
It has a lot of blade feel, a sensation of blade flex, it’s shockingly aggressive and delivers a guaranteed irritation free instant BBS.
They only made 200 of these before it was replaced with the much milder and better behaved/boring Alumigoose v2:
00225286-E577-4304-A3A2-20883E13E9ED.jpeg

And my ATT SE1/SE2 combo is from the very first production run.
This means it won’t take the Schick Proline blades but I find it works amazingly with the Kai Pinks.
The SE2 v1 baseplate has a short comb and is slightly more aggressive than the SE1.
They only made 100 of these short comb SE2 v1 baseplates before replacing it with the even more aggressive long comb SE2 v2.

Having the SE1/SE2 combo is a bit like having the changeable baseplates for the Rockwell and Supply Provision.
53F3FF54-7D8E-49EB-B931-8E583B4DEF36.jpeg

Similar model to the kai Luffy

View attachment 883722

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the metal part is identical. I really like it. It has a lip like the Feather SS but not as pronounced and with more blade exposure, offering the same advantages, close shaving without skin stretching and good performance ATG, But also works well with less aggressive blades than the Feather does.

The Alumigoose v1 is like the 2011 R41 of SEs.
It has a lot of blade feel, a sensation of blade flex, it’s shockingly aggressive and delivers a guaranteed irritation free instant BBS.
They only made 200 of these before it was replaced with the much milder and better behaved/boring Alumigoose v2:
I had no idea that v1 was so aggressive. I gave away my v2. It was way too mild for me.

In a capricious and unnecessary but fun exercise I modified spare blade holders for my Antelope and Dovo shavettes to take Artist Club blades.

The holders were originally intended to use the long cabinet blades so the modification involved cutting away parts of the nubs inside the holders.
Why would you even do this? Just because you can :)
CAFB3F05-3DB4-4CD1-AE81-70A1B5172020.jpeg
50AC92B8-6FE3-4EDC-83ED-D5F4FB42340B.jpeg
A51573BB-6045-4EA8-870E-D68363F872AC.jpeg

In a capricious and unnecessary but fun exercise I modified spare blade holders for my Antelope and Dovo shavettes to take Artist Club blades.

The holders were originally intended to use the long cabinet blades so the modification involved cutting away parts of the nubs inside the holders.
View attachment 884744 View attachment 884745 View attachment 884746
Wow.

Blown away by this.

This is a pro level hack.

I have been enjoying my Zebrano handled Kai but prefer the metal holder of the standard Kai Captain. I love the Kai Captain but the plastic scales are flimsy. I swapped the scales over on a spare Kai Captain with the Zebrano. Now I have two wooden handled razors with my favourite holders (DX and Captain) and lipped Kai and standard Kai for when I don't want to worry about wet wooden handles.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Wow.

Blown away by this.

This is a pro level hack.
Thanks! I’m interested to see how the shave is from an Artist Club Blade in a very light razor like the Dovo.

I have been enjoying my Zebrano handled Kai but prefer the metal holder of the standard Kai Captain. I love the Kai Captain but the plastic scales are flimsy. I swapped the scales over on a spare Kai Captain with the Zebrano. Now I have two wooden handled razors with my favourite holders (DX and Captain) and lipped Kai and standard Kai for when I don't want to worry about wet wooden handles.

proxy.php
proxy.php
Very nice indeed!
Artist Club is such quality shaving and your razors are looking really good there.

Impressive! Let us know how they shave. What are those cabinet blades like, BTW?

Impressive! Let us know how they shave. What are those cabinet blades like, BTW?
Thanks! It’s a surprisingly good shave - this is the first time I’ve used an Artist Club Blade (actually a Dorco) in such a very light razor and it puts all the balance on the blade itself making it incredibly manouverable, almost surgical!
B7D3DFAE-6939-4B27-99F8-740B987559D4.jpeg

Those Chinese cabinet blades are a revelation too. They’re quite a spectacular blade, easily as sharp as the ACs and with great longevity although it’s important to keep them dry.
There’s a discussion on them here:

Strong Leopard Shavette With Antelope Blades

Interesting stuff! I tried placing an order for a shavette and some 77 and Cloud blades at Ali Express, but the system wasn't taking my payment. :(
That’s a downer!
Maybe those blades are on eBay - they’re definitely worth experiencing.

Maybe those blades are on eBay - they’re definitely worth experiencing.
OK, @mjclark, you're driving me crazy -- so I went crazy and bought some stuff on the internet. I got this shavette at Fendrihan's, and managed to get Ali Express to sell me 100 Cloud cabinet blades. (I may have sprung for some other stuff in the process -- but it all came in for a total of about USD 20.00. :D) Here's the shavette; does it look right for those blades?

proxy.php

PS: The shavette comes with 10 blades, which look like this:

proxy.php

Last edited:
OK, @mjclark, you're driving me crazy -- so I went crazy and bought some stuff on the internet. I got this shavette at Fendrihan's, and managed to get Ali Express to sell me 100 Cloud cabinet blades. (I may have sprung for some other stuff in the process -- but it all came in for a total of about USD 20.00. :D) Here's the shavette; does it look right for those blades?

proxy.php

PS: The shavette comes with 10 blades, which look like this:

proxy.php
Great stuff! Yes that’s the one - awesome.

And I got one of those shavettes coming too off Ali Express.

Ha ha - amazing.
It’s really exciting to have a whole new blade format to play with eh?

Top Bottom