What's new

Worst style mistakes

i had square toed shoes in the 1980's, they didn't look good then and I think they cost me a job interview

Excellent photos, Doc4. Those chisel-toed shoes are beautiful, classic, and timeless to my eye. Sleek is a great descriptor. Nice color, too. I cannot tell from the photo the quality of the leather. Who is the maker for those?

Those square-toed shoes are a perfect example of the style I find ugly.

Maybe I should find or shoot a photo of what I think of as my somewhat squared off toe AEs and get a B&B consensus as to whether they are far enough from your square-toed example to wear! Or maybe not. I am afraid!

Pajama bottoms in public, such as on the morning run to the coffee shop or convenience store.

This. Period. Full stop. Even if I’m going down the street to drop a letter off in the mailbox, I’ll pull on a pair of jeans. For the life of me I couldn’t imagine wearing my PJ’s to go to the mall.
My wife and I are flying out west in June to start a baseball bus trip and I’ve told her I’ll be wearing my casual slacks and a nice polo shirt on the plane. I’ll be damned if I’m going to be one of those yobs in flip-flops and jorts. I’ve seen far too many YouTube videos of airline meltdowns to know flip-flops and jorts only end badly.
Square toe dress shoes...they’re the only style I feel comfortable in, fashion bedamned.
Backwards ballcaps...it only looked good on one kid.
5E26A354-2AF2-4DC8-AAAA-DF8FDB9FB083.jpeg

I'm not finding any photos online that allow me (or I can figure out how) to copy and paste into a B&B posting. And for that matter, they look less squared off in online photos than in person, so I am not going to try photographing on my own, but if anyone is interested, check out A&E Dryden. I have these in black and in tan. The tan ones are interesting in that that color seems less formal to me, but the Balmoral style with brogueing holes (if that is the term) through the smooth leather on top of the of the toe rather than on pieces of leather applied on top, if that makes sense at all, seems relatively formal.

I also have a pair of black A&E Del Rays, which are an interesting case. The toe is actually rounded/pointed. But an overlay across the top of the shoe is squared off toward the front (toe-side) of that piece. I think they may look a little dated, but I still like them well enough to wear occasionally.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Maybe I should find or shoot a photo of what I think of as my somewhat squared off toe AEs and get a B&B consensus as to whether they are far enough from your square-toed example to wear! Or maybe not. I am afraid!

I for one would like to see your squared off toe AEs. Then again I can understand why you would hold back on posting.
Docs post with the degrees of square puts things into prospective. No judging here and would hope others take the same position.

I was contemplating getting this NZ made boot by Lastrite but the square toe did not look right for my taste. The reviews were glowing, so many do enjoy it square toe and all.
To me the toe takes it into a riding boot style. That was not the look I was looking for.

sq toe boot.png

Thanks! I should have written "I am afraid! :) "

Re the Lastrites, they remind me of another arguably classic "square-toed shoe"--the Frye harness belted boot, most popular in the 1960s, early 1970s. Dated, perhaps, but certainly not ugly to me.

The issue with the toe on the Lastrites to me, if there is an issue, is more that these are classic Chelsea boots except the classic version would have a rounded toe, and the squared off toe does seem like a reference to other kinds of boots, such as riding boots. Thus, the style of the boots is a little neither fish nor fowl. On the other hand, the soles of these boots are different from what those of classic Chelsea boots would be. Also, for all I know, Lastrite has been making these boots in this style from the beginning of time and this is the authentic "look" for them.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks! I should have written "I am afraid! :) "

Re the Lastrites, they remind me of another arguably classic "square-toed shoe"--the Frye harness belted boot, most popular in the 1960s, early 1970s. Dated, perhaps, but certainly not ugly to me.

The issue with the toe on the Lastrites to me, if there is an issue, is more that these are classic Chelsea boots except the classic version would have a rounded toe, and the squared off toe does seem like a reference to other kinds of boots, such as riding boots. Thus, the style of the boots is a little neither fish nor fowl. On the other hand, the soles of these boots are different from what those of classic Chelsea boots would be. Also, for all I know, Lastrite has been making these boots in this style from the beginning of time and this is the authentic "look" for them.

Lastrite is a third generation family company, so they may be a old original company design or slightly tweaked.
They cater for hard working type boots, forestry, farming and hunting. Maybe they have aimed their dress boot at their predominant market of rural NZ.
Townies and rural people have different tastes for dress styles.

Baggy jeans, especially if worn so low down that they show underwear, it looks ridiculous, I read somewhere that the idea originated in prison so inmates could advertise that they were available for gay sex

Jeans, chinos, combats, or basically any trousers with the hems above the ankles, especially when worn with a pair of smart shoes, but no socks
Worn with a pair of boots is the lesser of two evils, but too short and it still looks like a pair of trousers that were either outgrown or borrowed off a teenager - "At half mast" or "Divorced your ankles" were popular things to say at school to anybody with trousers that were too short !!

And don't even get me started on Capri Pants for men !!
Women / girls look very nice in Capri Pants, short hem trousers/jeans and "Kick-flairs" - anything usually worn by women usually looks very silly when it's worn by a man !!

I DETEST ripped jeans with a passion, as soon as my jeans blow out, I rip them into rags and throw them away

If you're one of nature's hoarders and your favourite pair of comfortable jeans blow out at the knees after X number of years of hard wear, treat yourself to a nice new pair, stitch the ripped ones and wear them whenever you're gardening, washing the car, painting and decorating, doing DIY, cleaning, etc.
Or turn them into shorts
It's beyond me why some people are brainwashed into thinking it's "fashionable" to pay silly money for a ripped up pair of jeans that look like a something a down and out has already worn for 10 years

On the subject of shorts, I do not own a pair of shorts because I do not like shorts - I wear jeans year round

Combat shorts are practical, but IMHO not very cool
My 86 year old dad wears them to be comfortable
Charlie Sheen wore them with Bowling Shirts and Loafers on Two And A Half Men because it was all part of the image of the Charlie Harper character
IMHO wearing combat shorts either looks "Old mannish" or "Touristy" - and as for men wearing pink combat shorts - gross

Crocs, Clogs, Mules
I wear a pair of leather clog type mules indoors as slippers - I only wear them in public for about 5 minutes a day when I buy the newspaper
My 86 year old dad wears a pair of Crocs indoors as slippers - he's never worn them in public in the 6 years that he's had them
IMHO -
Crocs are ok to wear to the beach
Clogs or clog type mules are are a very popular choice of footwear for people who work in a kitchen as a Chef or KP
They just don't look right if worn in public instead of shoes, boots or trainers for more than 5 minutes

Trainers
I know they're very popular and look ok with jeans or shorts - I've got an ancient pair of high top Converse and a pair of high top Puma trainers that I wear in summer - with jeans
BUT
If worn with anything other than jeans or shorts, they tend to look a bit old mannish or childish
People who wear very smart looking suits should invest in a nice pair of leather shoes, dress boots or better still Chelsea boots - trainers with a suit just looks silly

Boots
I love boots, especially my Joseph Cheyney black Chelsea boots, polished up and worn with black or indigo jeans
I wear lace up or zip side lace up boots with faded jeans
BUT
IMHO - leaving half the laces undone and the tongue flapping forward and jeans tucked in looks ultra silly
Laces are very purpose personified and not only do a very good job when tied at the top of the boot - they look sensible too

Obscene / jokey printed t-shirts

I've seen groups of tourists wearing t-shirts with "John's Stag Party" or similar - fair play to them, they drink in a group, they're on holiday to celebrate a friend's upcoming wedding, and it makes it very easy to locate stragglers who get separated from the rest of the group

Unfortunately, I've also seen tourists wearing t-shirts with.........
"I'm a C***" (or worse, the full c-word) printed on them
But I think the stupidest I've seen were sold by an outlet of BCM Nightclub......

F . B . I .
Female Body Inspector

Do grown men seriously think wearing stupid, childish, sexist t-shirts like that really turns them into "God's gift to women" ?

Somebody has already mentioned about wearing a black Tuxedo during the day - I think it makes somebody look like a waiter

A white Tuxedo is perfectly acceptable during the day - that was what the White Tuxedo was originally invented for

AE Burtins, actually. Not Del Rays. Burtons are more squared off. I do not know whether too much.

Interesting re Lastrites.

I for one would like to see your squared off toe AEs. Then again I can understand why you would hold back on posting.
Docs post with the degrees of square puts things into prospective. No judging here and would hope others take the same position.

I was contemplating getting this NZ made boot by Lastrite but the square toe did not look right for my taste. The reviews were glowing, so many do enjoy it square toe and all.
To me the toe takes it into a riding boot style. That was not the look I was looking for.

View attachment 880903

Those look great - I wouldn't necessarily call them square-toed.

Baggy jeans, especially if worn so low down that they show underwear, it looks ridiculous, I read somewhere that the idea originated in prison so inmates could advertise that they were available for gay sex

Jeans, chinos, combats, or basically any trousers with the hems above the ankles, especially when worn with a pair of smart shoes, but no socks
Worn with a pair of boots is the lesser of two evils, but too short and it still looks like a pair of trousers that were either outgrown or borrowed off a teenager - "At half mast" or "Divorced your ankles" were popular things to say at school to anybody with trousers that were too short !!

And don't even get me started on Capri Pants for men !!
Women / girls look very nice in Capri Pants, short hem trousers/jeans and "Kick-flairs" - anything usually worn by women usually looks very silly when it's worn by a man !!

I DETEST ripped jeans with a passion, as soon as my jeans blow out, I rip them into rags and throw them away

If you're one of nature's hoarders and your favourite pair of comfortable jeans blow out at the knees after X number of years of hard wear, treat yourself to a nice new pair, stitch the ripped ones and wear them whenever you're gardening, washing the car, painting and decorating, doing DIY, cleaning, etc.
Or turn them into shorts
It's beyond me why some people are brainwashed into thinking it's "fashionable" to pay silly money for a ripped up pair of jeans that look like a something a down and out has already worn for 10 years

On the subject of shorts, I do not own a pair of shorts because I do not like shorts - I wear jeans year round

Combat shorts are practical, but IMHO not very cool
My 86 year old dad wears them to be comfortable
Charlie Sheen wore them with Bowling Shirts and Loafers on Two And A Half Men because it was all part of the image of the Charlie Harper character
IMHO wearing combat shorts either looks "Old mannish" or "Touristy" - and as for men wearing pink combat shorts - gross

Crocs, Clogs, Mules
I wear a pair of leather clog type mules indoors as slippers - I only wear them in public for about 5 minutes a day when I buy the newspaper
My 86 year old dad wears a pair of Crocs indoors as slippers - he's never worn them in public in the 6 years that he's had them
IMHO -
Crocs are ok to wear to the beach
Clogs or clog type mules are are a very popular choice of footwear for people who work in a kitchen as a Chef or KP
They just don't look right if worn in public instead of shoes, boots or trainers for more than 5 minutes

Trainers
I know they're very popular and look ok with jeans or shorts - I've got an ancient pair of high top Converse and a pair of high top Puma trainers that I wear in summer - with jeans
BUT
If worn with anything other than jeans or shorts, they tend to look a bit old mannish or childish
People who wear very smart looking suits should invest in a nice pair of leather shoes, dress boots or better still Chelsea boots - trainers with a suit just looks silly

Boots
I love boots, especially my Joseph Cheyney black Chelsea boots, polished up and worn with black or indigo jeans
I wear lace up or zip side lace up boots with faded jeans
BUT
IMHO - leaving half the laces undone and the tongue flapping forward and jeans tucked in looks ultra silly
Laces are very purpose personified and not only do a very good job when tied at the top of the boot - they look sensible too

Obscene / jokey printed t-shirts

I've seen groups of tourists wearing t-shirts with "John's Stag Party" or similar - fair play to them, they drink in a group, they're on holiday to celebrate a friend's upcoming wedding, and it makes it very easy to locate stragglers who get separated from the rest of the group

Unfortunately, I've also seen tourists wearing t-shirts with.........
"I'm a C***" (or worse, the full c-word) printed on them
But I think the stupidest I've seen were sold by an outlet of BCM Nightclub......

F . B . I .
Female Body Inspector

Do grown men seriously think wearing stupid, childish, sexist t-shirts like that really turns them into "God's gift to women" ?

Somebody has already mentioned about wearing a black Tuxedo during the day - I think it makes somebody look like a waiter

A white Tuxedo is perfectly acceptable during the day - that was what the White Tuxedo was originally invented for

It might have been quicker to list your favorite styles lol

Top Bottom