What's new

The Great Lavender PASS AROUND

Shave #3 - Mystic Waters Lavender Lime soap

- This stuff had an unexpected surprise.

My equipment: Rockwell 6S plate #3, Dorco Prime Platinum(5), Razorock synthetic 22mm Ivory, bowl lather.

Performance:
- Lather: 7/10
- Slickness: 7/10
- Post Shave: 4/10
- Scent: 3/10

Lather: This made a fine lather.

Slickness: Pretty good slickness with reasonable protection. This stayed slick enough I felt safe doing some touch ups along the way.

Post Shave: OK, here's were the problems begin. I didn't realize this soap had a bit of menthol in it. My nose didn't catch a menthol scent, and of course I wasn't looking for menthol. I really am not a fan of menthol in a shave soap. At least there's not a lot of menthol; that slight tingly feeling didn't kick in until I'd finished my three passes. But the menthol tingle stayed with me most of the morning, that pretty much killed any positive post shave feel I might have gotten.

Scent: The scent was innocuous, in the container, the scent reminded me of B&M Lime, Lavender, and Cedarwood. But it did not have the strength to be enjoyed during or after my shave.

Results: If I'd have known there was menthol in this soap, I'd have not sampled it. So I probably shouldn't ding this soap as bad as I have. But the surprize ending and the low scent level soap kinda took away the enjoyment.

I'm not finding enough difference in the performance of the remaining soaps I've tried to really give them a decent review. All the rest I've tried have have made good lather, had decent slickness, and given reasonable protection. I expected to find more differences between my opinion of the soaps. Honestly, I've not found any soap that is significantly better than the Stirling or Barrister and Mann soaps I own. Maybe that's in part because only shaving with a soap once, you don't get a chance to dial in the latering.

So that kinda leaves me with my preferences in scent:

Castle Forbes Lavender - This was one I was hoping performance would stand out, and while it was good, it didn't outperform my B+M or Stirling. The fragrance was a nice lavender, but not outstanding.

Dapper Dragon Lavender Lizard - This one was equal to my B+M and Stirling, but wouldn't replace either based on performance. The scent was an interesting barbershop plus lavender. I'm not a fan of barbershop scents, but enjoyed this. I'd recommend this to someone who wanted a barbershop fragrance with a twist.

Sudsy Soapery Lavender and Peppermint soap - A very nice twist on lavender. It was exactly what it said Lavender with a kick of peppermint underneath. I might buy this one.

Dr. Jon's Flowers in the Dark - This one stands out because it didn't stand out in any way, neither fragrance or performance.

Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge - This scent I didn't really like. I got a medical scent with some lavender underneath. I was hoping that this more expensive soap would have some standout qualities. This fragrance I actively disliked.

I just came off the Try and Trade pass around and am a little 'sampled out.' I find myself wanting to get back the the soaps I own and know how to get really good performance out of.

I've come away feeling that most artisan soaps using a stearic acid/tallow/glycerin formula whip up a very similar lather. Added oils and butters probably change the post shave feel, but I don't care that much about how my shave cream leaves my face feeling, as long as the feeling isn't menthol related. I moisturize myself after my shave.

I'm not finding enough difference in the performance of the remaining soaps I've tried to really give them a decent review. All the rest I've tried have have made good lather, had decent slickness, and given reasonable protection. I expected to find more differences between my opinion of the soaps. Honestly, I've not found any soap that is significantly better than the Stirling or Barrister and Mann soaps I own. Maybe that's in part because only shaving with a soap once, you don't get a chance to dial in the latering.

So that kinda leaves me with my preferences in scent:

Castle Forbes Lavender - This was one I was hoping performance would stand out, and while it was good, it didn't outperform my B+M or Stirling. The fragrance was a nice lavender, but not outstanding.

Dapper Dragon Lavender Lizard - This one was equal to my B+M and Stirling, but wouldn't replace either based on performance. The scent was an interesting barbershop plus lavender. I'm not a fan of barbershop scents, but enjoyed this. I'd recommend this to someone who wanted a barbershop fragrance with a twist.

Sudsy Soapery Lavender and Peppermint soap - A very nice twist on lavender. It was exactly what it said Lavender with a kick of peppermint underneath. I might buy this one.

Dr. Jon's Flowers in the Dark - This one stands out because it didn't stand out in any way, neither fragrance or performance.

Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge - This scent I didn't really like. I got a medical scent with some lavender underneath. I was hoping that this more expensive soap would have some standout qualities. This fragrance I actively disliked.

I just came off the Try and Trade pass around and am a little 'sampled out.' I find myself wanting to get back the the soaps I own and know how to get really good performance out of.
Good round-up. For me, I find that a lot of artisan soaps are closely grouped together, performance-wise, and it's the scent the sets them apart. There are a few that really stand out.

01. imcnok (finished)
02. Grundi (finished)
03. JLDallas (finished)
04. Schinny (in possession)
05. Gobucks01
06. NyquistRate
07. Shave Pastor

Just returned from work to find box. Busy next few days at work but will try to get some shaves in.

Matt

OK guys, I have finally made my way through the box and picked the soaps I would like to try. Some selections were chosen based on scent and others because I want to try a certain artisans. Personally the two factors that mean the most to me in a shaving soap are scent and post shave feel. My top soaps require no aftershave products because they leave my face soft and moisturized. My den is composed of soaps from Wholly Kaw, Grooming Department, Declaration Grooming, Eufros, B&M Reserve, Saponificio Varesino, and Stirling. I am relatively new to the lavender scented soaps. I currently own only 1 lavender soap, B&M Reserve Lavender, and I am using this soap as my baseline for comparison.

Shave 1: B&M Reserve Lavender. Face/head shave

Equipment: Rockwell 6C razor using plate #4, Voskhod blade, Wolf Whiskers 25mm synthetic brush. I am a face latherer.

Performance:
Lather:
10/10 -- thirsty soap requiring much additional water during face lather but produces incredible lather
Slickness: 9/10 -- able to do touchups safely (my baseline for slickness is Saponificio Varesino 4.3)
Post Shave: 9/10 -- Although I consider B&M Reserve a top post shave soap for me I still get a touch of face tightness with this soap compared to GD, WK, SV, and DG.
Scent: 10/10 -- for me this is my standard lavender scent. It is a darker lavender but I really enjoy it. I would rank scent strength a 6/10. I also own the matching AS splash which helps prolong the scent longevity.

Overall:
As I mentioned above, this is the only lavender soap in my den. I love the scent and the soap performance is in my top group, box 2

Ranking:
B&M Reserve Lavender

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shave 2: Sudsey Soapery Lavender & Spearmint. Face/head shave.

I have read many good things about SS on this forum. I have tried only one of their soaps in the past -- Citrus and Sandlewood. I found the small tub filled to the top quite annoying and messy for soap loading and the scent just didn't do it for me so I unloaded the soap on B/S/T and mentally checked SS off my list of soaps to purchase. However, the scent of this soap was quite enjoyable so I decided to give SS one more try. I figure if I can find a SS scent I like I can always transfer the soap into a bigger tub.

Equipment: Rockwell 6C razor using plate #4, Voskhod blade, Wolf Whiskers 25mm synthetic brush. An almond sized sample of soap was smashed into the bottom of a kitchen bowl. My synthetic brush was slightly dampened and loaded with soap. The soap was painted onto my face in a pastelike consistency and water added until an excellent lather was formed.

Performance:
Lather:
10/10 -- mildly thirsty soap requiring additional water during face lather but not to the same extent as B&M Reserve. Produced a nice yogurt like consistency lather.
Slickness: 7/10 -- had to rewet face in order to safely do touchups
Post Shave: 8/10 -- Several minutes after my shave I began to notice face tightness. This was more than B&M Reserve and significantly more than my GD, DG, SV, Eufros and WK soaps
Scent: 10/10 -- I really enjoyed this scent. The addition of the spearmint essential oil is a perfect enhancement to the lavender. The mint also provides a slight menthol like tingle. I could see this being a very enjoyable summer soap. The soap is very "refreshing". Scent strength is 5/10. After completing my shave I could barely smell the soap and feel that I could safely apply any AS without conflicting with the soap.

Overall:
This was a very enjoyable shave. Although the post shave is a bit low for my likes, the scent is absolutely wonderful and the slight menthol-like freshness from the spearmint is very enjoyable. This soap would still land in my top tier, box 3. I may have to look into making this soap a permanent part of my den.

Ranking:
B&M Reserve Lavender = Sudsey Soapery Lavender and Spearmint

Shave 3: B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood. Face Shave

I have come close to purchasing this soap many times blindly. I am glad I did not after using this sample! This soap should just be called Cedarwood.

Equipment: Rockwell 6C razor using plate #4, Voskhod blade, Wolf Whiskers 25mm synthetic brush.

Performance:
Lather:
10/10 -- thirsty soap requiring additional water during face lather. I continued to add water and was rewarded with a beautiful shiny, slick lather.
Slickness: 9/10 -- excellent. My razor moved effortlessly over my face. Touchups with no problem.
Post Shave: 9/10 -- Very nice post shave feel, however, not quite the same level of moisturizing as my GD, DG, SV, and WK soaps
Scent: 3/10 -- This was where the real disappointment began. While using this soap I felt like I was in a hamster cage surrounded by cedar shavings with a small amount of lime zest. I could not detect any lavender in this soap. I did not find this soap scent at all pleasurable. Scent strength was 5/10 and didn't linger much at completion of my shave -- thank god!!

Overall:
This was a great soap base that met my criteria for performance and post shave feel, but the scent was a total no go for my nose. I would not purchase this soap based on scent alone. However if I could find a B&M glissant base soap with a scent I enjoyed I would pick it up based on the soap base performance. The soap base would be a tier one soap for me, however this scent is tier 3.

Ranking:
B&M Reserve Lavender = Sudsey Soapery Lavender and Spearmint > B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood.

Shave 3: B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood. Face Shave

I have come close to purchasing this soap many times blindly. I am glad I did not after using this sample! This soap should just be called Cedarwood.

Equipment: Rockwell 6C razor using plate #4, Voskhod blade, Wolf Whiskers 25mm synthetic brush.

Performance:
Lather:
10/10 -- thirsty soap requiring additional water during face lather. I continued to add water and was rewarded with a beautiful shiny, slick lather.
Slickness: 9/10 -- excellent. My razor moved effortlessly over my face. Touchups with no problem.
Post Shave: 9/10 -- Very nice post shave feel, however, not quite the same level of moisturizing as my GD, DG, SV, and WK soaps
Scent: 3/10 -- This was where the real disappointment began. While using this soap I felt like I was in a hamster cage surrounded by cedar shavings with a small amount of lime zest. I could not detect any lavender in this soap. I did not find this soap scent at all pleasurable. Scent strength was 5/10 and didn't linger much at completion of my shave -- thank god!!

Overall:
This was a great soap base that met my criteria for performance and post shave feel, but the scent was a total no go for my nose. I would not purchase this soap based on scent alone. However if I could find a B&M glissant base soap with a scent I enjoyed I would pick it up based on the soap base performance. The soap base would be a tier one soap for me, however this scent is tier 3.

Ranking:
B&M Reserve Lavender = Sudsey Soapery Lavender and Spearmint > B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood.
I agree with your assessment, although I didn't find the cedar as objectionable as you. There's no lavender in that sample.

I'd suggest looking at getting some samples of Cheshire or Seville for more middle-of-the-road Glissant offerings. I also like Le Grand Chypre, Lavanille and Cologne Russe, but I find them to be very strong.

I really like B&M LLC. I get the cedar and I get lavender, what I don't get is lime. This is in my regular lineup and I really enjoy it when its time to use it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shave 2: Sudsey Soapery Lavender & Spearmint. Face/head shave.

I have read many good things about SS on this forum. I have tried only one of their soaps in the past -- Citrus and Sandlewood. I found the small tub filled to the top quite annoying and messy for soap loading and the scent just didn't do it for me so I unloaded the soap on B/S/T and mentally checked SS off my list of soaps to purchase. However, the scent of this soap was quite enjoyable so I decided to give SS one more try. I figure if I can find a SS scent I like I can always transfer the soap into a bigger tub.

Equipment: Rockwell 6C razor using plate #4, Voskhod blade, Wolf Whiskers 25mm synthetic brush. An almond sized sample of soap was smashed into the bottom of a kitchen bowl. My synthetic brush was slightly dampened and loaded with soap. The soap was painted onto my face in a pastelike consistency and water added until an excellent lather was formed.

Performance:
Lather:
10/10 -- mildly thirsty soap requiring additional water during face lather but not to the same extent as B&M Reserve. Produced a nice yogurt like consistency lather.
Slickness: 7/10 -- had to rewet face in order to safely do touchups
Post Shave: 8/10 -- Several minutes after my shave I began to notice face tightness. This was more than B&M Reserve and significantly more than my GD, DG, SV, Eufros and WK soaps
Scent: 10/10 -- I really enjoyed this scent. The addition of the spearmint essential oil is a perfect enhancement to the lavender. The mint also provides a slight menthol like tingle. I could see this being a very enjoyable summer soap. The soap is very "refreshing". Scent strength is 5/10. After completing my shave I could barely smell the soap and feel that I could safely apply any AS without conflicting with the soap.

Overall:
This was a very enjoyable shave. Although the post shave is a bit low for my likes, the scent is absolutely wonderful and the slight menthol-like freshness from the spearmint is very enjoyable. This soap would still land in my top tier, box 3. I may have to look into making this soap a permanent part of my den.

Ranking:
B&M Reserve Lavender = Sudsey Soapery Lavender and Spearmint
Interesting that you didn't like the post-shave on the Sudsy, to me that's the best part of their soaps. I tend to let the excess lather sit on my face while I'm cleaning up the gear and I always like the results when doing that with SS.

I do wish this soap had more lavender to it though, the peppermint totally dominates for me.

Shave 4: Phoenix and Beau Albion. Face Shave/Head shave.

Trying the Phoenix and Beau soap base was one of the main reasons I signed up for this pass around.

Performance:
Lather:
10/10 -- this is a thirsty soap requiring additional water during face lather. I was rewarded with a beautiful shiny, slick lather after taking my time lathering.
Slickness: 9/10 -- excellent. No problems with touch ups. Performance was close to SV for me.
Post Shave: 10/10 -- Very nice post shave feel. This base performed like my top tier soaps in regards to post shave moisturizing. No post shave tightness noted. No post shave products needed.
Scent: 3/10 -- The tub says bergamot/lavender/grapefruit. The website says bergamot/lavender/grapefruit grounded with patchouli. I really enjoyed this scent out of the tub and with initial lather the citrus/lavender scent was very nice. However, on dry down this turned into a very strong patchouli scent. I am not a fan of strong patchouli scents (flashback to 80's Grateful Dead concerts) and my wife is a strong two thumbs down on patchouli.

Overall:
Like the B&M LLC, this was a great soap base that met my criteria for performance and post shave feel, but the strong patchouli scent on dry down makes this soap a strong no go for me. Soap base performance wise this is a top tier soap for me. I will need to try some other scents from P&B. I have been very attracted to the description of their Bay Rum amongst others.

Ranking:
B&M Reserve Lavender = Sudsey Soapery Lavender and Spearmint > B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood = P&B Albion.

Shave 4: Daper Dragon Lavender Dragon. Face Shave.

I have never tried this brand of soap. Decided to try due to the pleasant lavender barbershop type scent.

Performance:
Lather:
10/10 -- Quickly formed a nice shiny, yogurt thick lather. Did not have to add too much water with this soap base.
Slickness: 8/10 -- Good overall performance. Not quite the same as my gold standard for slickness SV, but at the same time nothing to complain about.
Post Shave: 9/10 -- Nice post shave feel. Just the slightest face tightness, but again a very solid soap base for me.
Scent: 9/10 -- The web describes this soap as lavender/vanilla/black pepper. I smelled mostly lavender and vanilla with a powdery barbershop component also. I did not pick up on the black pepper. Overall, I found this scent quite pleasing. I have not tried many barbershop type scents and own none in my current den.

Overall:
This soap was a pleasant surprise for me. The soap base performed very well and I really enjoyed the scent. I would put this in Tier 1, box 2 for me. I may have to look further into the Daper Dragon brand for other scents. I could definitely find a place for this soap in my collection. If I were buying ....... because I don't have a problem......

Ranking:
B&M Reserve Lavender = Sudsey Soapery Lavender and Spearmint = Daper Dragon Lavender Dragon > B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood = P&B Albion.

Shave 5: Wild West Shaving Company Laramie. Face/Head Shave.

This is yet another soap company that I have not tried but have read much about on the forums. I was looking forward to giving this one a go.

Performance:
Lather:
10/10 -- Thirsty soap but ultimately formed a nice shiny, yogurt thick lather.
Slickness: 9/10 -- Good overall performance.
Post Shave: 8/10 -- Most people on the forum have commented on this soap's post shave feel as its best attribute. For me, I did develop some face tightness about 15 minutes after finishing my shave. YMMV I guess.
Scent: 10/10 -- The web describes this soap as Bergamot/Lavender. I really enjoyed this scent. It was a 6/10 in strength. Great spring/summer scent.

Overall:
This soap was a solid performer for me. I really enjoyed the scent of this soap and that alone could push me to add it to the den despite the slight face tightness I detected post shave. Wild West Shaving Co. has many scent options which are attractive to me.... Stirling also makes a bergamot/lavender soap which I may have to try.

Ranking:
B&M Reserve Lavender = Sudsey Soapery Lavender and Spearmint = Daper Dragon Lavender Dragon = Wild West Shaving Co Laramie > B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood = P&B Albion.

Shave 5: Wild West Shaving Company Laramie. Face/Head Shave.

This is yet another soap company that I have not tried but have read much about on the forums. I was looking forward to giving this one a go.

Performance:
Lather:
10/10 -- Thirsty soap but ultimately formed a nice shiny, yogurt thick lather.
Post Shave: 8/10 -- Most people on the forum have commented on this soap's post shave feel as its best attribute. For me, I did develop some face tightness about 15 minutes after finishing my shave. YMMV I guess.
Scent: 10/10 -- The web describes this soap as Bergamot/Lavender. I really enjoyed this scent. It was a 6/10 in strength. Great spring/summer scent.

Overall:
This soap was a solid performer for me. I really enjoyed the scent of this soap and that alone could push me to add it to the den despite the slight face tightness I detected post shave. Wild West Shaving Co. has many scent options which are attractive to me.... Stirling also makes a bergamot/lavender soap which I may have to try.

Ranking:
B&M Reserve Lavender = Sudsey Soapery Lavender and Spearmint = Daper Dragon Lavender Dragon = Wild West Shaving Co Laramie > B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood = P&B Albion.
I’ve only tried the Stirling Bergamot Lavender AS Splah, but I like the scent of it more than I liked that of the Wild West.

Shave 5: Declaration Grooming Champs de Lavender. Face/Head Shave.

I bought the Chatillion Lux Champs de Lavender AS to match my B&M Reserve Lavender soap, but sold it on B/S/T for reasons I couldn't remember. I am familiar with DG soap performance and loved the smell of the Champs de Lavender soap out of the container. Its a darker/earthier lavender compared to the B&M reserve lavender.

Performance:
Lather:
10/10 -- Thirsty soap. Excellent lather.
Post Shave: 10/10 -- Overall excellent post shave with just a touch of face tightness. DG remains one of my top soaps for post shave feel and this particular soap didn't disappoint.
Scent: 8/10 -- I loved the scent of this soap out of the container and while I was shaving. It wasn't until a few minutes after the shave that I remembered why I sold my CL Champs de Lavender AS -- the dry down is all patchouli which I'm not a fan of and my wife is a strong 2 thumbs down.

Overall:
This soap base is a solid performer and checks all of the boxes to be a tier 1 soap for me except for the scent. Based on scent alone I would not purchase this soap for my den. I have struggled finding DG soaps that work for me scent wise. I am hoping that some of the new DG/CL collaborations will be the ticket as I really do enjoy the soap base performance.

Ranking:
B&M Reserve Lavender = Sudsey Soapery Lavender and Spearmint = Daper Dragon Lavender Dragon = Wild West Shaving Co Laramie > B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood = P&B Albion = DG Champs de Lavender.

Although there are a couple more soaps I had set aside to try, I am tiring of shaving with samples and am looking forward to getting back to my usual soap rotation. I hope to be dropping the box in the mail sometime soon.

Matt

Interesting that you didn't like the post-shave on the Sudsy, to me that's the best part of their soaps. I tend to let the excess lather sit on my face while I'm cleaning up the gear and I always like the results when doing that with SS.

I do wish this soap had more lavender to it though, the peppermint totally dominates for me.

+1 on post-shave feel and peppermint strength

Top Bottom