What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" April 16th - April 22nd, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
20 laps on a leather strop to keen up the Clauss edge, one and a half passes, and the end result is an excellent shave. Great way to start a Hump Day.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hot Shower - Vie-Long 12601 – Local Gent Shaving Anubis – Boss Nomad Edition Safety Razor & Mülhe head + Irium#4 – Alpa Farao After Shave - Alpa Farao EDT

Thursday SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: Jurgen Hempel Jarwin
Blade: Personna Reds (D5)
Brush: Shavemac TSR2015 LE 2-band Silvertip
Scuttle: Yoresh
Pre-Shave Scrub: Holy Black True Grit - Coffee
Pre-Shave Gel: AOS Ocean Kelp
Shave Cream: Xpec
Balm: Xpec
Aftershave: Chatillon Lux Fourth & Pine

Last edited:
IMG_0120.JPG

Pre-Shave: Mickey Lee Soapworks Lavender Pre-Shave Butter
Shave Soap: The Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay
Aftershave: Crown King Atomic Age Bay Rum
Aftershave Balm: Crown King Atomic Age Bay Rum Star Jelly
Brush: Wild West Brushworks "Optick", 28mm Timberwolf Synth
Razor: Above The Tie Atlas Handle, H1 Base Plate
Blade: Astra SP (3)

04/18/18 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Crabtree & Evelyn Indian Sandalwood Triple Milled Soap
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Lime Ginger Tea Tree Conditioning Shampoo Puck
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements ICE Pre-Shave Soap
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Grove Artisan Shave Soap
Dogwood Handcrafts Aurora Shaving Brush - 24mm Maggard Synthetic Knot
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Edwin Jagger 3D Laser Diamond Knurled Handle Safety Razor
Astra Green Superior Platinum Blade - 3rd Shave
RazoRock Alum Block
Homemade Lime & Rose Witch Hazel
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Grove Aftershave & Cologne
NIVEA Men Maximum Hydration Moisturizing Post Shave Balm
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Lime Ginger Tea Tree Natural Deodorant - New Sport Strength

B IMG_9192.jpg

04/19/18 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Crabtree & Evelyn Indian Sandalwood Triple Milled Soap
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Lime Ginger Tea Tree Conditioning Shampoo Puck
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CUBE Mentholated Preshave Soap
Chiseled Face Sherlock Shaving Soap
Wolf Whiskers RCE# 47 Custom Fluted DWW-3 25mm Black Wolf 3rd batch Synthetic hybrid/fan knot
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Edwin Jagger 3D Laser Diamond Knurled Handle Safety Razor
Astra Green Superior Platinum Blade - 4th Shave
RazoRock Alum Block
Homemade Lime & Rose Witch Hazel
Booster Mosswood Aftershave
Aqua Velva Sensitive 5 in 1 After Shave Balm
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Lime Ginger Tea Tree Natural Deodorant - New Sport Strength

B IMG_9202.jpg

SOTD: 19th April 2018.

12.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Hot shower:/ Nivea Men ~ Cool Kick Shower Gel.

Pre:

warm wet flannel to my face.

Wilkinsons Fruits ~ Coconut & Vanilla Body Butter.

Brush: Semogue 1305.

Bowl Lather.

Soap: Boots Original Shave Stick (Disk) .

Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic .(2)

Razor: Parker 92R.

Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.

Alum Block./Cold Water Face Rinse./Aloe Vera Gel.

Lucky Tiger ~ A/S & Face Tonic.

Greetings,

After the superb shave i had with my 99r at the weekend, today i've chosen the 92r paired up with the w.s. 'classic' blade for the first time, and the result was yet again superb,maybe i'm getting my shaving technique spot on at the moment with my parker razors...These inexpensive indian made razors really work for me.A excellent razor & blade duo'.

Another very enjoyable 3 pass + pick ups silky smooth shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a generous splash of Lucky Tiger ~ A/S & Face Tonic.

My face is feeling smooth, & smelling devine.;)

Enjoy your day, ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

19 – April -2018

Prep: Hot Water , Noxzema Pre , SV Monoi di Tahiti , Hot Towel
Soap: Le Peré Lucien
Brush: Muhle STF2 L
Razor: KOCH & SCHÄFER SOLINGEN-WALD. KAMA 6/8
Aftershave: Myrsol Emulsion, Unrefined Shea Butter , Le Peré Lucien AS

proxy.php

SOTD 19APR18.JPG

SOTD 19APR18
Razor: Wolfman .67 WR1 | WRH2
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (9)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers 'Tyrion'
Soap: Grooming Dept. 'Mallard Earl Grey Gelato'​

Van Yulay - Red Dawn
Kent V8
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

proxy.php

Van Yulay's tallow and clay base is laden with skin nourishing ingredients, and I've been a fan for a couple years, now. Theirs is the best use of clay since Stirling's retired base, but it has a much wider water tolerance. That said, where I might typically advise pushing the water, I've found many people make the mistake of neglecting to load enough product when it comes to Van Yulay. Furthermore, you don't have to work this lather for long, revisiting the water periodically to achieve its optimal state. It's almost instant lather, and you know it when you get it, but it happens sooner than other clay-based soaps I've used. The pay-off is a dense but compact, creamy, super shiny paintable lather. When you get that, quit playing with it, and start shaving. First swipe and residual slickness are both above average, and the post-shave is always phenomenal.

When you say "Red Dawn" to me, I think of the depressing 1980s disaster flick staring the expected headliners (Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, Lea Thompson, C. Thomas Howel, and Harry Dean Stanton). However, apparently Van Yulay was working up a different angle, attempting to convey the feeling of daybreak in the woods with a full day of mental cleansing tree felling ahead. I am intimately familiar with that feeling, and this accord captures it quite well.

Skip the off-the-tub whiff, unless you like gasoline...on second thought, you know you like the smell of gasoline, so take a big whiff. I kid. The chemical flash is there, but it's faint, and when you lather it, that burns off within seconds and is anything but a novelty fragrance. That initial vaporous scent steps right into a crisp cedar. With further distribution of the lather, darker damp and more resinous woods invade, but ultimately oakmoss prevails. Red Dawn tries to come off as an oriental but settles closer to a woody fougère. It never becomes murky, but rather maintains a slightly green undertone with any earthiness being an extension of the moss. In the middle there's a surprising peppery note that's reminiscent of shredded Virginia Creeper vines. It's this peculiar note that spices up the accord, effectively disrupting my ability to declare this fragrance's placement. However, the note definitely belongs here. These notes could easily become convoluted and thick, yet the overall accord has something just shy of iciness, thereby keeping true to the image of a crisp early morning in the woods. A coffee note would probably be too much, but you may feel inclined to have a cup during your shave.

Most of the time, Van Yulay's alcohol-free splashes initially have a distinct musky creamy impression that abates quickly, relenting to the intended accord. However, in this flavor, whatever is being used as the "gasoline" note mitigates this creamy base scent and ushers in the cedar, then oakmoss and so on.

Even if you relate more to the 80s verge-of-apocalypse flick as opposed to an early morning tree cutting, if you like woody mossy fragrances, you'll probably like Red Dawn. In terms of an associated finishing fragrance, it would work equally well with a spicy oriental as well as a woody fougère depending on which way you lean.

April 19, 2018
OneBlade Genesis V2
Feather FHS
RV Rover with TGN Finest
AOS Ocean Kelp Shave Cream
Fine Platinum

Nice color coordination, and that brush! Bad to the bone!

Thanks!

Thursday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Scots Pine Sheep
Soap: Catie’s Bubbles La Terre Verte
Razor: Gillette NEW Short Comb
Blade: Vintage Personna 74 Tungsten (Shave #28)
Brush: Honey Farm Designs/TGN Premium Silvertip-24mmx50mm
Aftershave: Country Club Highlands

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Catie’s Bubbles LTV today. 20 seconds to load the Honey Farm/TGN Silvertip brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Personna 74 Tungsten still in the Gillette NEW Short Comb. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Country Club Highlands aftershave.

Bob

proxy.php

Thursday

Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best
Cream: T&H Sandalwood
Razor: QShave RD228
Blade: Super-Max Platinum
A/S: Vintage Avon Wild Country

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom