What's new

Lavender: DG May Have a Hit in La La Land

Translation: Declaration Grooming just popped out a winner methinks in LAvender LAther Land :)
Order arrived and and tried DG's brand new "Pure Lavender" for 1st time today.
As expected from the brand, the performance was stellar with great lather, cushion and slickness.
The scent is very nice, both dry puck and during lathering, and most definitely "Lavender". To my nose it falls into what I call a "sharp" noted (in a good way) scent; not astringent but crisp with some complexity and depth to it - not the overly soft flowery trap some fall into.

The post-shave/feel (as I sit here 3 hours later) is exceptionally good with a real sense of smooth moisturized skin. There is not an overly long-lingering scent from the soap, so it is easy to complement with the AS of your choice - maybe something like Agua Lavanda, my favorite after an MdC shave, would be terrific.

Spousal Approval Meter Rating: As to the "boss", she greeted me post shave and shower with the declaration (see what I did there :001_rolle) "you smell great, what a nice, subtle scent."

So, for all you lavender fans out there, this one might be worth a try for ya. Hope this info/opinion is remotely helpful to the curious masses as well.
Cheers

Translation: Declaration Grooming just popped out a winner methinks in LAvender LAther Land :)
Order arrived and and tried DG's brand new "Pure Lavender" for 1st time today.
As expected from the brand, the performance was stellar with great lather, cushion and slickness.
The scent is very nice, both dry puck and during lathering, and most definitely "Lavender". To my nose it falls into what I call a "sharp" noted (in a good way) scent; not astringent but crisp with some complexity and depth to it - not the overly soft flowery trap some fall into.

The post-shave/feel (as I sit here 3 hours later) is exceptionally good with a real sense of smooth moisturized skin. There is not an overly long-lingering scent from the soap, so it is easy to complement with the AS of your choice - maybe something like Agua Lavanda, my favorite after an MdC shave, would be terrific.

Spousal Approval Meter Rating: As to the "boss", she greeted me post shave and shower with the declaration (see what I did there :001_rolle) "you smell great, what a nice, subtle scent."

So, for all you lavender fans out there, this one might be worth a try for ya. Hope this info/opinion is remotely helpful to the curious masses as well.
Cheers
I’ve been waiting to hear something about this. I have the Lavande De Champs, which is a favorite. How would you rate the scent strength?
Thanks for doing a write up!

The 1 to 10 scale is always a challenge for me. I guess I would put strength off puck and during lather in the 6 to 7+ range? Not a lingerer though so much more subtle once shave ends, maybe 2-4? I'll be curious to hear others chime in on this point too.
For reference I would put MdC a couple points lower at perhaps 5ish and something like Mike's Bay Rum near top end of scale at 8.5-9.5+. And from the weird nose dept., I also found Fine's Orange Noir to be very low on the scent scale though I know many love it and rave about it. Hope that helps but obviously everyone has a YMMV.

Now that's a real review, lol. Hadn't seen it. Seems like we agree on scent strength at sort of "high-medium, and his "peppery" could be the sharpness/spicy i am sensing.
Thanks for posting the link.

Last edited:
The 1 to 10 scale is always a challenge for me. I guess I would put strength off puck and during lather in the 6 to 7+ range? Not a lingerer though so much more subtle once shave ends, maybe 2-4? I'll be curious to hear others chime in on this point too.
For reference I would put MdC a couple points lower at perhaps 5ish and something like Mike's Bay Rum near top end of scale at 8.5-9.5+. And from the weird nose dept., I also found Fine's Orange Noir to be very low on the scent scale though I know many love it and rave about it. Hope that helps but obviously everyone has a YMMV.
Thanks!

Now that's a real review, lol. Hadn't seen it. Seems like we agree on scent strength at sort of "high-medium, and his "peppery" could be the sharpness/spicy i am sensing.
Thanks for posting the link.

He really does great in-depth reviews. Love reading his site.

You are feeding my resurgence of SSAD! :a13::lol: Lavender is one of my favourite base scents just behind sandalwood, bergamot and oak moss so I'm really interested in trying this now as my first GD soap.

I may have to get this one. I just got the "Fourth and Pine" and the performance is outstanding. Scent is a smooth citrus, not sharp. Very well balanced.

You are feeding my resurgence of SSAD! :a13::lol: Lavender is one of my favourite base scents just behind sandalwood, bergamot and oak moss so I'm really interested in trying this now as my first GD soap.

Typo alert dabrock - remember it’s DG (Declaration) not GD (Grooming Dept) lol.

I may have to get this one. I just got the "Fourth and Pine" and the performance is outstanding. Scent is a smooth citrus, not sharp. Very well balanced.
Interesting, I did not order that one for fear it would be too “piney” or woodsy, not my taste in scent, but smooth citrus sounds lot more interesting. And their exceptional performance does seem to cut across all the DG scent choices.

Interesting, I did not order that one for fear it would be too “piney” or woodsy, not my taste in scent, but smooth citrus sounds lot more interesting. And their exceptional performance does seem to cut across all the DG scent choices.

Yeah, no pine or woods at all. Here's the description:

Fourth & Pine

Scent notes in the aftershave, toner, salve, and shaving soap:
  • Neroli
  • Lemon
  • Bergamot
  • Orange
  • Petitgrain
  • Lavender
  • Grapefruit
  • Yuzu

Terrific review! I especially appreciate ‘SAM’ rating! :a14::a14:
Thanks - should I dare to aspire to have created a B&B acronym that is adopted and lasts, lol.
I do like the concept of Spousal Approval Meter - aka SAM.

I think i may have out-clevered myself with a cutesy title that fails to alert folks interested in Lavender soap. Posted a sort of mini-review and another member included a link in the thread to a nice review by the Daily Lather that is worth a read.
So, in the interest of directing Lavender lovers to some thoughts on Declaration Grooming's new seasonal release, here is link to thread:
DG may have a hit in La La Land

Lesson learned, I will seek to be less obtuse next time I start a thread :a52:
Thanks and enjoy

Saw it and was sorry/not sorry that the sabbatical keeps me from ordering some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom